MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I wonder how big gonna be the box for the X. I remember buying the MV8800 brand new and when UPS showed at my door, I thought they were delivering a refridgerator. Biggest package in my life!

:lol: :lol: lmso haaahaaa funny
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 am
Hoping Akai start to think outside the box on this thing too. Looks like the modern bread and butter stuff is covered. The rep talks about adding a synth too. Would be cool if they added a few options here. Some Op1 style synths would work great with the 4 knobs. And something like Animoog on ipad seems a no-brainer considering it has the touchscreen. Even if it's a case of only 1 instance per sequence and you had to sacrifice some polyphony or whatever if you chose to use it.

Hoping they don't only add a standard soft synth. They could really push this thing if they looked around at some ipad stuff... Things like mitosynth etc too.. Throw a bunch of synth options in there, even if you can only use one of them simultaneously...
By zangetsu01 Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:17 am
callofthevoid wrote:Hoping Akai start to think outside the box on this thing too. Looks like the modern bread and butter stuff is covered. The rep talks about adding a synth too. Would be cool if they added a few options here. Some Op1 style synths would work great with the 4 knobs. And something like Animoog on ipad seems a no-brainer considering it has the touchscreen. Even if it's a case of only 1 instance per sequence and you had to sacrifice some polyphony or whatever if you chose to use it.

Hoping they don't only add a standard soft synth. They could really push this thing if they looked around at some ipad stuff... Things like mitosynth etc too.. Throw a bunch of synth options in there, even if you can only use one of them simultaneously...

But a Synth isn't really neccasary because it has got 'Key Groups'. This works just like a synth. They should focus on developing 'libraries' for the key groups.
By Danoc Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 am
zangetsu01 wrote:
callofthevoid wrote:Hoping Akai start to think outside the box on this thing too. Looks like the modern bread and butter stuff is covered. The rep talks about adding a synth too. Would be cool if they added a few options here. Some Op1 style synths would work great with the 4 knobs. And something like Animoog on ipad seems a no-brainer considering it has the touchscreen. Even if it's a case of only 1 instance per sequence and you had to sacrifice some polyphony or whatever if you chose to use it.

But a Synth isn't really neccasary because it has got 'Key Groups'. This works just like a synth. They should focus on developing 'libraries' for the key groups.

I agree. But if Akai makes a synth it will not be third party. It will be a native snyth courtesy of akai. Then people will complain about that, saying it sounds thin. :Sigh:

People need to understand this a top quality drum machine. Agsin if s person wsnts synths open up 2.0 and go for it.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 am
zangetsu01 wrote:But a Synth isn't really neccasary because it has got 'Key Groups'. This works just like a synth. They should focus on developing 'libraries' for the key groups.

I'd rather see Akai concentrate on developing the keygroup program type; more lfos, better envelope,better filters, keygroup crossfading, combining velocity switching and round robins within a keygroup, etc. That way sound designers can concentrate on bring out libraries that take advantage of all the features available.

Regarding synths, I'd imagine we'll eventually see hybrid 3 or some other synth(s) in the standalone software, there was only so much they could get done for 2.0.
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:But a Synth isn't really neccasary because it has got 'Key Groups'. This works just like a synth. They should focus on developing 'libraries' for the key groups.

I'd rather see Akai concentrate on developing the keygroup program type; more lfos, better envelope,better filters, keygroup crossfading, combining velocity switching and round robins within a keygroup, etc. That way sound designers can concentrate on bring out libraries that take advantage of all the features available.

Regarding synths, I'd imagine we'll eventually see hybrid 3 or some other synth(s) in the standalone software, there was only so much they could get done for 2.0.

Yeah agreed they should refine/develop the Keygroup functionality first like you mention. But it would be cool to have some more featiures onboard that made great use of that touchscreen in similar way to some ipad instruments. Animoog was the main one that sprung to mind. It's not an 'expectation' that akai do anything like that tho. Just that this (and toraiz) are the first mainstream pieces of hardware like this with physical and touchscreen ui, where additions/updates seem basically potentially limited only by imagination. I'm doubtful stuff like this will appear, and agree there are plenty of other things that should receive attention first. But it could get interesting after they've exhausted the other areas....
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:24 am
zangetsu01 wrote:

If you've used an Op1 you'd maybe think differently, it's fun/fast/flexible dialling in sounds rather than always browsing for them ;) Keygroup diy and libraries will be great for sure tho. Hopefully they'll continue to add depth there and it be like Kontakt.
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 am
Anyone know if you'll be able to make a drumkit/Keygroup and save it as a program or however mpc does things, and include fx settings? Does current touch software do this?
Like if I make a synth Keygroup that's very fx-based and want to save it to be able to browse for it to use in other projects down the road etc...are fx settings saved also?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:38 am
callofthevoid wrote:Hopefully they'll continue to add depth there and it be like Kontakt.

Definitely - when it was just a controller you could just have a Kontakt plugin track to handle more complex sample-based instruments, but now we're back to being standalone it's important for Akai to continue working on the sampler as well as the audio editing UI (hoping to see SAMPLE EDIT vertical zooming in 2.0)

Anyone know if you'll be able to make a drumkit/Keygroup and save it as a program or however mpc does things, and include fx settings?

Yes effect settings in your program are saved, be it internal effects or third party plugins. In the standalones, only internal effects will be available, but I assume any third party plugin settings saved with the program previously should hopefully reappear when you go back into computer mode.
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
callofthevoid wrote:Hopefully they'll continue to add depth there and it be like Kontakt.

Definitely - when it was just a controller you could just have a Kontakt plugin track to handle more complex sample-based instruments, but now we're back to being standalone it's important for Akai to continue working on the sampler as well as the audio editing UI (hoping to see SAMPLE EDIT vertical zooming in 2.0)

Anyone know if you'll be able to make a drumkit/Keygroup and save it as a program or however mpc does things, and include fx settings?

Yes effect settings in your program are saved, be it internal effects or third party plugins. In the standalones, only internal effects will be available, but I assume any third party plugin settings saved with the program previously should hopefully reappear when you go back into computer mode.

Thanks for info. That's great re storing standalone fx with the program :)
By back2future Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:45 pm
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it. Akai updated the FAQ on their site.

My suggestion would to be just buy a synth, play or program the midi in and drive it from the Mpc. Bring it back in when your ready.

Personally I hope Akai doesn't add any of their own synths. Leave that to the big boys. Just concentrate on the unit and UI in the software. Don't be bog it down. Stick with key groups.
By back2future Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:45 pm
From the Akai Site:

MPC X

What are the system specs of the MPC X?

The MPC X has its own embedded system which sports a 1.8GHz quad core processor and 2GB of RAM.

For internal storage, the MPC X has 16GB on board. There are 10GB of studio quality sounds pre-loaded and another 6GB for you to work with. You can use the 2 onboard USB ports to add more samples or to provide extra storage. There is also a compartment on the bottom of the MPC X which houses a SATA port for installing an optional HDD or SDD.

What operating systems will the MPC X be supported on?

The MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software will all be supported for use on Windows 8.1 and up, as well as Mac OS X 10.10 and up. This will only require the installation of a single driver to use the MPC X or MPC Live as a controller with MPC 2.0.

As a side note, the MPC X and MPC live can be connected to virtually any operating system for simple file transfer. That means if you need to transfer files off of your Windows 7 computer, you can connect yout MPC and your OS will be able to recognize any connected USB drives or SATA drives.

How big is the display? Is it a touch screen?

The MPC X features a 10" full color, multi-touch display (16:10 resolution) for navigating and controlling the internal software. This means that not only is it touch capable, but it can handle multi touch gestures like pinching to zoom in/out and double-tap for advanced settings.

How much storage is there? How big is the internal hard drive?

The MPC X has 16GB of internal storage. There are 10GB of studio quality sounds pre-loaded and another 6GB for you to work with. You can use the 2 onboard USB ports to add more samples or to provide extra storage. There is also a compartment on the bottom of the MPC X which houses a SATA port for installing an optional HDD or SDD.

When is the release date?

The MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software are expected to be available in Quarter 1 of 2017 (springtime).

Does the MPC X include MPC Software version 2.0?

MPC X includes the latest version of the MPC Software, version 2.0. You can use the MPC X entirely standalone or as a controller for MPC Software 2.0.

Can I record full audio tracks on the MPC X?

Yes! One of the great new features on the MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software is the addition of full audio track recording. Audio tracks will play back over the course of entire song while any sequences loop behind it, similar to recording in arrangement mode in Ableton. In the standalone the MPC will capable of up to 8 full audio tracks, but the MPC 2.0 software can record as many tracks as your system can handle.

Can I plug a USB MIDI controller into the USB ports of the MPC X?

The USB ports on the MPC X have a variety of uses. They can be used to transfer files on and off of the MPC X, as extra storage, and as input for USB MIDI controllers.

If you have a class compliant MIDI controller (one that does not require drivers), you will be able to plug it directly into an available USB port on the MPC X and control MIDI information in the embedded system software.

The MPC X and Live feature Bluetooth and WIFI. How can I use this?

Good question! The MPCX and MPC Live support Bluetooth MIDI. While this means you can't connect your Bluetooth speakers or Bluetooth turntable, it does mean that you can use bluetooth MIDI keyboards like the new LPD8 and LPK25 Wireless.

WIFI was added to the MPC X and MPC Live with plans to expand it's purpose in the future. Potential uses include Ableton Link, Dropbox-style file transfering and more. Stay tuned for for any updates!

Are the MPC X and MPC Live USB 3.0?

Yes! The MPC X and MPC Live will both ship with USB 3.0 cables and work at USB 3.0 speeds when connected to the computer as a controller. While USB 2.0 may work, we do recommend using 3.0 cables and ports whenever possible for the best results.

If the MPC is in standalone mode, any connected thumb drives or storage devices will operate at USB 2.0.

Can I add additional storage space?

Yes! The MPC X and MPC Live both feature two (2) USB ports for connecting thumb drives and other USB storage devices, an SD card slot for standard SD/SDHC cards, as well as a port for adding an additional 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD or SSD). Virtually all drive sizes are supported, but we recommend formatting drives to FAT32, NTFS or EXT4 for the best results. SATA drives will be mounted to the compartment door with the included screws.

Can I open my current MPC projects on the MPC X?

Yes! The MPC X and MPC Live will recognize MPC projects, programs and sequences made with earlier versions of the software and even older MPC hardware project and program formats. The MPC will convert them to the modern formats upon importing.

Are there any differences between running a project in standalone vs. with MPC 2.0?

Yes, but not many. You may notice some differences depending on your work style, though the main differences will be with VST plugins and track count. Standalone, the MPC X and MPC Live can reliably handle up to 64 simultaneous tracks per project, while your computer may be able to handle much more depedning on it's specifications and stability. MPC 2.0 will also support VST plugins but these will be disabled when using the projects on the MPC X and MPC Live in standalone.

Are projects transferable between the MPC X and MPC Live?

Yes! Projects can be transfered and opened on any MPC live or MPC X considering all of the projects contents (samples, programs, sequences) are transfered as well. Considering there are differences in outputs and inputs on the MPC X versus MPC Live, you may notice that outputs or inputs are disabled if they are not available on the current controller.

How many inputs and outputs are on the MPC X?

The MPC X features 8 balanced TRS outputs and 4 combo inputs. Inputs 1 and 2 will support mic and line leves (+48v phantom power available) and inputs 3/4 will support phono (RCA) and line level (1/4" TRS) inputs. Important: The RCA inputs are intended only for phono-level audio. Please be sure not to connect line-level audio sources to this input.

There are also 2 instrument inputs (1/4" TS) on the front of the unit that can be assigned as inputs 1/2 with the Rear/Front switch below the channel gain knobs on the top.

On top of the audio i/o, the MPC X also has 2 full size, 5-pin MIDI inputs and 4 full size, 5-pin MIDI outputs, as well 8 CV/Gate outputs to sync with your modular synths and sequencers.

What is a CV/Gate output used for?

CV/Gate signals are similar to a standard MIDI connection in that they are responsible for transferring pitch and sequence timing data to other gear, usually modular synths or sequencers. Unlike MIDI, CV and Gate signals use simple voltages in varying ranges and lengths to control the other devices which makes opens a lot of possibilities for implementation. For example, modular synths will often have a CV Pitch input (deciding the pitch of the synth at any given point), but they may also have filter input to control the filter instead. The gate would tell the synth when and how long to play a note, again just like the regions in a MIDI sequence.

For more info, check out the article here.

Can I transfer content direct to the internal storage?

All content will need to be stored on a thumb drive or the internal SATA drive before transferring to the internal storage on the MPC X or MPC Live. The Internal storage will not appear as an available drive when connected to your system.

Are there any cases or bags available?

There are no plans for official MPC X or MPC Live cases at the moment, but we’re glad to hear that there is interest! In the meantime, you may be able to find an alternative third-party case/bag that meets the size requirements:

HxWxD in mm:
When display is flat: 87.3 x 504.5 x 424.4
When display is upright: 213.5 x 504.5 x 387.9
HxWxD in Inches:
When display is flat: 3.4 x 19.9 x 16.7
When display is upright: 8.4 x 19.9 x 15.3

If I record a sample while the MPC X is in controller mode with MPC 2.0, is the sample recorded to my MPC X or my computer?

The sample will be recorded onto your computer harddrive and into your MPC 2.0 project folder. While connected in controller mode, the MPC X will act only as a controller/interface, similar to the MPC Renaissance. But once disconnected from controller mode, your project can be transferred to a USB drive, SD card or additional drive on the MPC X to open in standalone.
By back2future Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 pm
Mpc Live is pretty much the same. Took out the same questions :

MPC Live

What are the system specs of the MPC Live?

The MPC Live has its own embedded system which sports a 1.8GHz quad core processor and 2GB of RAM.

For internal storage, the MPC Live has 16GB on board. There are 10GB of studio quality sounds pre-loaded and another 6GB for you to work with. You can use the 2 onboard USB ports to add more samples or to provide extra storage. There is also a compartment on the bottom of the MPC Live which houses a SATA port for installing an optional HDD or SDD.

What operating systems will the MPC Live be supported on?

The MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software will all be supported for use on Windows 8.1 and up, as well as Mac OS X 10.10 and up. This will only require the installation of a single driver to use the MPC X or MPC Live as a controller with MPC 2.0.

As a side note, the MPC X and MPC live can be connected to virtually any operating system for simple file transfer. That means if you need to transfer files off of your Windows 7 computer, you can connect yout MPC and your OS will be able to recognize any connected USB drives or SATA drives.

How big is the display? Is it a touch screen?

The MPC Live features a 7" full color, multi-touch display (16:9 resolution) for navigating and controlling the internal software. This means that not only is it touch capable, but it can handle multi touch gestures like pinching to zoom in/out and double-tap for advanced settings.

How much storage is there? How big is the internal hard drive?

The MPC Live has 16GB of internal storage. There are 10GB of studio quality sounds pre-loaded and another 6GB for you to work with. You can use the 2 onboard USB ports to add more samples or to provide extra storage. There is also a compartment on the bottom of the MPC Live which houses a SATA port for installing an optional HDD or SDD.

The MPC Live has a battery?! How long will it last?

Yes! The MPC Live comes complete with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, so you can be completely untethered! On a full charge, the battery will power the MPC for around 4-6 hours of consistent usage (that's non-stop touching, performing, playing, display brightness all the way up, etc.). But with conservative use, you'll likely get much more.

When you're ready to charge again, just plug in the power-supply and keep playing! A small light will come on in the back of the unit and the battery symbol on the display will come on to indicate charging. The light will go off again when fully charged.

Is the battery user-replaceable?

It is definitely replaceable, though we do not recommend that customer's try this on their own to avoid voiding warranties and/or causing any damage to the unit. If the battery requires service or replacement, our support team is standing by and ready to provide service options!

When is the release date?

The MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software are expected to be available in Quarter 1 of 2017 (springtime).

Does the MPC Live include MPC Software version 2.0?

MPC Live includes the latest version of the MPC Software, version 2.0. You can use the MPC Live entirely standalone or as a controller for MPC Software 2.0.

Can I record full audio tracks on the MPC Live?

Yes! One of the great new features on the MPC X, MPC Live and MPC 2.0 software is the addition of full audio track recording. Audio tracks will play back over the course of entire song while any sequences loop behind it, similar to recording in arrangement mode in Ableton. In standalone the MPC will capable of up to 8 full audio tracks, but the MPC 2.0 software can record as many tracks as your system can handle.

Can I plug a USB MIDI controller into the USB ports of the MPC Live?

The USB ports on the MPC Live have a variety of uses. They can be used to transfer files on and off of the MPC Live, as extra storage, and as input for USB MIDI controllers.

If you have a class compliant MIDI controller (one that does not require drivers), you will be able to plug it directly into an available USB port on the MPC Live and control MIDI information in the embedded system software.

How many inputs and outputs are on the MPC Live?

The MPC Live features two (2) 1/4" balanced TRS inputs (Line) and two (2) RCA inputs (Phono), along with a grounding terminal and adjustable Record Volume knob. Only one set of inputs can be used at a time, selectable via the Line/Phono Switch on the back of the MPC Live. Important: The RCA inputs are intended only for phono-level audio. Please be sure not to connect line-level audio sources to this input.

The MPC Live also features six (6) balanced TRS outputs, as well as as a dedicated headphone output.

On top of the audio i/o, the MPC Live also has 2 full size, 5-pin MIDI inputs and 2 full size, 5-pin MIDI outputs.

Are there any cases or bags available?

There are no plans for official MPC X or MPC Live cases at the moment, but we’re glad to hear that there is interest! In the meantime, you may be able to find an alternative third-party case/bag that meets the size requirements:

HxWxD in mm: 67.5 x 410 x 223
HxWxD in inches: 2.7 x 16 x 8.8
By callofthevoid Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:03 pm
back2future wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned it. Akai updated the FAQ on their site.

My suggestion would to be just buy a synth, play or program the midi in and drive it from the Mpc. Bring it back in when your ready.

Personally I hope Akai doesn't add any of their own synths. Leave that to the big boys. Just concentrate on the unit and UI in the software. Don't be bog it down. Stick with key groups.

If it was only the X id agree. But Live is clearly aimed at portable/no cables etc. Makes sense for there to be an onboard synth? I have hardware synths but dig the idea of the Live with sofa jams etc in mind, so I don't wanna have to drag my other gear around too, kinda defeats the idea ;) Not a dealbreaker either way tho. Keygroups are a much better workaround/alternative than on a lot of boxes :)
By Wormhelmet Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm
I got a Novation Circuit and a Roland JX-03. Both operate on battery power. The circuit has two Nova synths onboard and 4 part sampled drums. Built in multifx. There is an editor to make your own presets on the Nova synths and assign the macros to the controls. It has a little built in speaker too, but with the Live's inputs, you could bring in a couple devices. JX-03 is an easy to program two oscillator synth with built in fx. Also has a little speaker if needed, but output is single mono out on 1/8" jack.

Portability - combine an iPad with the Live. Hook up the iPad headphone out to two ins on the Live. Bring an iLoud bluetooth speaker which actually has 1/8" stereo input or 1/4" for guitar as well as the bluetooth (which Live does not do audio for, but just use a cable from headphone out of Live to iLoud 1/8" stereo input) and now you have a small studio that would fit in a backpack. 40 watts rms on the iLoud. I have had my iLoud for 3-4 years now and it thumps. 10 hours playback on a charge. Cranked up would easily match battery life of the Live.

You could even throw in a bluetooth portable keyboard and run midi in to the iPad from the Live.

Just some thoughts on solutions for no synth included with Live but still maintaining portability.