MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bain Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 pm
cmscss wrote:
jahsoul wrote:Man, if you didn't have to sell your soul to Beelzbub to get an OP1, I'll have one right now. .

Just sold my OP-1 - very cool for inspiration and getting tracks started but I sold it because:

Sequencing was quirky (kinda painful) which is the last thing you want when capturing ideas (quickly)

Even after the latest update, the 4 track tape still attracted pops at loop or drop-in points

When usb was plugged in, the noise via the output jack was appalling (truly, it was unacceptable)

It was easy to record stuff via the 4 track that was then hard to seperate and use later in a DAW

All of the above made it an unnecessary struggle to integrate with a DAW or an existing set up

You either click with the OP-1 or you don't but the noise, clicks and pops shouldn't be on anything at that price. If you've got cash to burn though, very creative device - lots of happy accidents if you know what I mean, YMMV.

Therefore, I woldn't worry about the OP-1, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there that can touch the LIVE and X for standalone (as long as they work!).

I sold mine because of the pops when trimming a sample.
By Fanu Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:36 pm
Ha.

I hope no-one's so cheap they're lusting for a 1–2K device but can't pay one pound for an article.

Some people get tough on the interweb these days because it's so easy; they wouldnt do it IRL.
Recently, a client of mine went all ALL CAPS on me with his fury, as I mixed and mastered his hip hop album, and he said it doesn't sound as good as Dr Dre's stuff.
I had to tell him his stems were a bit weak and nowhere near Dre's level. He said that was bad service.
Easy to get aggro on the web.
Also, same guy snapped at me yesterday, when he was first telling me he can get his stuff mixed and mastered way cheaper at his local studio run by long-time pros.
I said that cant be possible, and then I found out he was talking about their mastering price only, and in the end i proved to him his local studio's mixing price was double compared to mine.
Dude snapped again, saying we're not friends and called me a total joke. Some can't handle the truth. I can't understand why some get their thug mode on so easy…

Why am I even saying this? Well, my long week finally ended and now it's weekend and I'm chilling and laughing at that shizz.

People gotta chill a bit!
By Ill-Green Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm
Whats sad, I was merely showing the first review of the Live unit and a very in-depth one. People should be happy because an official review means we getting closer to launch, but instead, they wanna read the first 3 words and then get thug on you. Smh.
By Ill-Green Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:28 pm
Anyone noticed push back dates for the Live for late May? Everywhere I go I see that date, so I checked where I preordered mine, (B&H) and they changed from May 1st to May 26th. BUT, I noticed they took down their "limited quantities" notice, so its probably to save their asses once the first batch sells out and get some time for later batches. I don't know, but Akai should announce something on release date, we can't rely on retailer guesses, but they have connections with Akai so what can we do.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:09 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Chillin wrote:
You can't approach the HDD by setting up a shared network folder or client folder, it all depends on the type of network protocols, which will make this communication possible. The MPC would become the server and HDD folder the client.

The only way I see this will be possible is by setting up a ftp server or remote acces. But why go to all the trouble if you can simply:

Tap the controller icon on your MPC screen > the MPC internal HDD pops up in windows > drag your files from you computer to the MPC internal HDD or drag your files from your MPC internal HDD to your computer > done..!! :popcorn:

You don't have to set it up yourself, it can be automated by software setup, installing software and walking through the wizard. And you're done.

Kind of like how Plex works

Of course the physical option is the most logical one, but wirelessly can be solved.
Last edited by Chillin on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Wormhelmet Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 pm
Since some people may still have wired connections, it would make more sense to have the MPC be the ftp server and you connect from your computer (like Beatmaker 2 on iPad). I believe the wireless was for the bluetooth function on the MPC's though.
By starmanwarz Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:37 pm
The only reason I asked if it's possible to browse the computer's drive when in standalone mode was to see if I can save me some money from having to buy a SSD.

It looks like that can't be done. I'm thinking either 250GB or a 500GB SSD. Hopefully that will be enough? My sample library is only like 40 gigs, but I'd like to record from records straight to the MPC and save whole projects in it.
By Wormhelmet Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:02 pm
starmanwarz wrote:The only reason I asked if it's possible to browse the computer's drive when in standalone mode was to see if I can save me some money from having to buy a SSD.

It looks like that can't be done. I'm thinking either 250GB or a 500GB SSD. Hopefully that will be enough? My sample library is only like 40 gigs, but I'd like to record from records straight to the MPC and save whole projects in it.

That is a lot of space with a 250gb ssd even. I have a 128gb ssd in my mv8800 (117gb after formatting) and dropped 110,000 samples on it, plus about 12gb of multisampled instruments and still have close to 60gb left. Since the mv has projects with max of 512mb, that adds up to a lot of prohect space. Now the new MPC's have 2gb RAM for sampling, but if the load programs, song, all info into RAM and that is the limitation for saving (meaning not streaming directly from ssd or sd), then you figure with 40gb of samples, plus formatting loss, you have probably 200gb left over divided by 2gb for saving programs/songs/data on. If it streams from SD or SSD, then even more room. Plus you can offload to computer if absolutely necessary.
By starmanwarz Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:The only reason I asked if it's possible to browse the computer's drive when in standalone mode was to see if I can save me some money from having to buy a SSD.

That is a lot of space with a 250gb ssd even. I have a 128gb ssd in my mv8800 (117gb after formatting) and dropped 110,000 samples on it, plus about 12gb of multisampled instruments and still have close to 60gb left. Since the mv has projects with max of 512mb, that adds up to a lot of prohect space. Now the new MPC's have 2gb RAM for sampling, but if the load programs, song, all info into RAM and that is the limitation for saving (meaning not streaming directly from ssd or sd), then you figure with 40gb of samples, plus formatting loss, you have probably 200gb left over divided by 2gb for saving programs/songs/data on. If it streams from SD or SSD, then even more room. Plus you can offload to computer if absolutely necessary.

Yeah you are probably right, 250GB should be more than enough. Maybe even overkill.

After all, I only had a 80GB HDD on my 2500 and it still had about 20GB free.