MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:01 pm
richie wrote:Stop talking tough on the internet. I can beat any of you hoes at arm wrestling and have went platinum off ring tones in several 3rd world countries.

First rule at the dojo, your never underestimate your opponent.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Anyone noticed push back dates for the Live for late May? Everywhere I go I see that date, so I checked where I preordered mine, (B&H) and they changed from May 1st to May 26th. BUT, I noticed they took down their "limited quantities" notice, so its probably to save their asses once the first batch sells out and get some time for later batches. I don't know, but Akai should announce something on release date, we can't rely on retailer guesses, but they have connections with Akai so what can we do.

Yeah, the Bax store pushed it back from 7 to 8 weeks.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:12 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Since some people may still have wired connections, it would make more sense to have the MPC be the ftp server and you connect from your computer (like Beatmaker 2 on iPad). I believe the wireless was for the bluetooth function on the MPC's though.

The MPC X and Live feature Bluetooth and WIFI. How can I use this?

Good question! The MPCX and MPC Live support Bluetooth MIDI. While this means you can't connect your Bluetooth speakers or Bluetooth turntable, it does mean that you can use Bluetooth MIDI keyboards like the new LPD8 and LPK25 Wireless.

WIFI was added to the MPC X and MPC Live with plans to expand its purpose in the future. Potential uses include Ableton Link, Dropbox-style file transferring and more. Stay tuned for any updates!

http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/2232

This is a dedicated file server.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 pm
starmanwarz wrote:The only reason I asked if it's possible to browse the computer's drive when in standalone mode was to see if I can save me some money from having to buy a SSD.

It looks like that can't be done. I'm thinking either 250GB or a 500GB SSD. Hopefully that will be enough? My sample library is only like 40 gigs, but I'd like to record from records straight to the MPC and save whole projects in it.

Of course that will be possible. But you will need to put it in a local file, same as now.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:24 pm
starmanwarz wrote:
Yeah you are probably right, 250GB should be more than enough. Maybe even overkill.

After all, I only had a 80GB HDD on my 2500 and it still had about 20GB free.

Can I add additional storage space?

Yes! The MPC X and MPC Live both feature two (2) USB ports for connecting thumb drives and other USB storage devices, an SD card slot for standard SD/SDHC cards, as well as a port for adding an additional 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD or SSD). Virtually all drive sizes are supported, but we recommend formatting drives to exFAT, FAT32, or NTFS for the best results. SATA drives will be mounted to the compartment door with the included screws.

You are now basically unlimited when it comes to storage.
By starmanwarz Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:25 pm
Chillin wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:The only reason I asked if it's possible to browse the computer's drive when in standalone mode was to see if I can save me some money from having to buy a SSD.

It looks like that can't be done. I'm thinking either 250GB or a 500GB SSD. Hopefully that will be enough? My sample library is only like 40 gigs, but I'd like to record from records straight to the MPC and save whole projects in it.

Of course that will be possible. But you will need to put it in a local file, same as now.

You mean each time I want to save my progress I go into controller mode and save into my PC's drive?
Last edited by starmanwarz on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By starmanwarz Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:26 pm
Chillin wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:
Yeah you are probably right, 250GB should be more than enough. Maybe even overkill.

After all, I only had a 80GB HDD on my 2500 and it still had about 20GB free.

Can I add additional storage space?

Yes! The MPC X and MPC Live both feature two (2) USB ports for connecting thumb drives and other USB storage devices, an SD card slot for standard SD/SDHC cards, as well as a port for adding an additional 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD or SSD). Virtually all drive sizes are supported, but we recommend formatting drives to exFAT, FAT32, or NTFS for the best results. SATA drives will be mounted to the compartment door with the included screws.

You are now basically unlimited when it comes to storage.

How is that relevant?
By Wormhelmet Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm
Chillin wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:Since some people may still have wired connections, it would make more sense to have the MPC be the ftp server and you connect from your computer (like Beatmaker 2 on iPad). I believe the wireless was for the bluetooth function on the MPC's though.

The MPC X and Live feature Bluetooth and WIFI. How can I use this?

Good question! The MPCX and MPC Live support Bluetooth MIDI. While this means you can't connect your Bluetooth speakers or Bluetooth turntable, it does mean that you can use Bluetooth MIDI keyboards like the new LPD8 and LPK25 Wireless.

WIFI was added to the MPC X and MPC Live with plans to expand its purpose in the future. Potential uses include Ableton Link, Dropbox-style file transferring and more. Stay tuned for any updates!

This is a dedicated file server.

Potentially. Future plans. That means it may become the ftp server we mentioned. Given that Akai cannot even keep their promised schedules of delivery, I'll believe it when I see it.

To tell the truth, I have been rapidly losing interest in the MPC standalones. All the hype and then hush and moving dates, videos that don't really emphasize anything new I can't get out of current devices I have or other vendor flagship products has left me a bit unexcited now.

I am appreciative of my older machines that are complete. The mv, my spectralis 2 are great examples. I read so many past articles filled with customer ranting and hopes that the next new update would address function a, b, or c, while the firmware versions of these went through various iterations until final version done and zero chance for more updates.

I am thankful I have final versions and do not have the chance to be dissatisfied with my purchase as these older machines are all they can be and not promises of things to come.
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 pm
starmanwarz wrote:
How is that relevant?

It is relevant, because you can swap storage or integrate the storage on the motherboard of the MPC.

Wasn't that what you was worried about, storage?
By Chillin Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:

Potentially. Future plans. That means it may become the ftp server we mentioned.

Given that Akai cannot even keep their promised schedules of delivery, I'll believe it when I see it.

To tell the truth, I have been rapidly losing interest in the MPC standalones. All the hype and then hush and moving dates, videos that don't really emphasize anything new I can't get out of current devices I have or other vendor flagship products has left me a bit unexcited now.

I am appreciative of my older machines that are complete. The mv, my spectralis 2 are great examples. I read so many past articles filled with customer ranting and hopes that the next new update would address function a, b, or c, while the firmware versions of these went through various iterations until final version done and zero chance for more updates.

I am thankful I have final versions and do not have the chance to be dissatisfied with my purchase as these older machines are all they can be and not promises of things to come.

True, we'll see what happens. I did preorder, but if it is not meeting the expectations I will return the device and take the refund.

Only a few more days then my MPC 4000 will arrive, after that I'll put the MPC 5000 for sale.
By starmanwarz Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:25 pm
Chillin wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:
How is that relevant?

It is relevant, because you can swap storage or integrate the storage on the motherboard of the MPC.

Wasn't that what you was worried about, storage?

Well I know that already, I was asking about how big of a drive I should buy for the MPC.
By Danoc Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:58 pm
No you're wrong the first rule in the dojo is
1. Never lend out your MPCx or Live
2. Never underestimate your opponent
3. Never take your eyes off your opponent

LOL HAAAHAAA
Chillin wrote:
richie wrote:Stop talking tough on the internet. I can beat any of you hoes at arm wrestling and have went platinum off ring tones in several 3rd world countries.

First rule at the dojo, your never underestimate your opponent.
By Danoc Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 pm
Big as you want. Only you truly know how much content you have.
I like to be sure and go big 2 terra bytes is good

[quote="starmanwarz"quote]

Well I know that already, I was asking about how big of a drive I should buy for the MPC.[/quote]