Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Zbigniew Zielinski Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:52 pm
I have this basic workflow, not uncommon I guess:
- do seqs in MPC, create song/s
- apply VST plugins: EQs, compression etc...
- apply VST instruments etc....

Once I'm happy, I will export each track as single percussion/drums and single samples/instruments as wav tracks and will import them to FL Studio (in my situation) to record vocals and to do arrangements. At this stage, I'm happy with how it all sounds in MPC; all plugins enabled/applied.

When imported to FL Studio, I will disable 'Limiter' from Main track (it is there as default) and will track out each sample as exported from MPC, probably each being on a different track #.

Now, the problem is, if I export a loop from FL Studio and MPC REN, both will sound a little bit different!

I always tend to like the sound of the one exported from MPC.

What am I doing wrong? The way I export tracks? Does FL studio does something to the sound (even when I am not applying any effects)? MPC is not set to MPC 60 etc...

Is there anyone who noticed this as well?

Lost.
By axm Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:09 pm
What do you mean by "different", can you describe that more? If the pitch sounds off, check your project settings and make sure the sample rate is the same across the board as this would lead to aliasing
By zangetsu01 Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:29 pm
I had the same problem with cubase. My fix was to leave the vst slots in the master bus empty. but use a sub/group bus instead and route the output of that that bus to the master bus.
dont know if it will help you with your problem but it fixed mine.

Before I did this my mixed down stems sounded degraded compared to pre-mixdown..
By Zbigniew Zielinski Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am
The pitch/tone sounds to be okay, the single samples sounds to be the same but when you play a complete loop it doesn't sound as good as in\from MPC....

This is difficult to spot but by 'different' I meant to say it lacks compression?, eq?, maybe track levels? it isn't that powerful - however, all is there when played from MPC or when exported from MPC.
By greavous420 Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm
Zbigniew Zielinski wrote:The pitch/tone sounds to be okay, the single samples sounds to be the same but when you play a complete loop it doesn't sound as good as in\from MPC....

This is difficult to spot but by 'different' I meant to say it lacks compression?, eq?, maybe track levels? it isn't that powerful - however, all is there when played from MPC or when exported from MPC.

Bounce the stems from the DAW with no fx on them at all or level changes. Then reimport them to the DAW and invert the polarity of the newly imported stems, if they are identical you will get silence when they are played sidebyside as the phase will cancel each other out perfectly. If they are different you will get the remainder of the 2 signals. You can also visually check the waveforms to see if it is more compressed/louder.
By 83dude Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:11 pm
Stupid question, but did you check your gain staging? If single tracks clip and you export them, they lose quality, since they internally can't clip (since the architecture is usually 64 bit or 32 bit float, which gives you a huge headroom). But when exporting to 16 or 24 bit, they might - or might not.