MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Wormhelmet Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm
If I still used a DAW I'd be screaming about it, but not sure after all the reading here if the standalone factor is being emphasized more than the controller factor. It is a moot point if you are just using Live or X as standalone. I'm not gonna scream about it because I never plan to use a PC with 2.0

Just the standalone mode for me. I don't belive there is any major DAW competition that doesn't have it at this point in development, which will prove the point that although MPC software maybe great, it is not going to be real competition for other major players like Ableton, Logic, Bitwig, Reaper, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Studio One, and even FL Studio. If they want to be real competition, they need to implement competitive features, not just grab a few key features and think they are in the big leagues. You can't shout it from the mountain in 2017 that your big awesomeness is realtime time stretching. That's just "meh" these days with DAWs
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:IYou can't shout it from the mountain in 2017 that your big awesomeness is realtime time stretching. That's just "meh" these days with DAWs

That's what I meant earlier when I said the MPC is kind of basic; their "new" features are something that are not exactly new: realtime stretching, clip launch, audio tracks.
E.g., Octatrack has had those for a while in its own way.

If you plan on being a leader, you can't be playing catch-up all the time.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:46 pm
With the MPC we have an application that is trying to be a lot of things for a lot of people, all built from the ground up from a company with little experience in the software field, so it's going to take a long time to incorporate all this and it will always run the risk of being a jack of all trades, master of none. I think it's inevitable that they'll be playing catch up on many features, although I don't see a problem with that as long as they are also working on innovation themselves (for example the chopping workflows are clearly pretty unique).

But due to all the delays, it does seem like they could benefit from additional developers on the team. As for getting more professionals on board with the beta testing, I think that's a great idea in theory but in practice no busy working professional has time nor inclination to beta test for a third party.

I think Akai should open channels a bit more to the public, because on their forum the stock answer is 'we'll pass on your comments to the dev team' (and no feedback is ever given back), or as we've seen, we get Pete picking and choosing which questions he prefers to answer (which is frustrating).
By chino Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm
My message to Akai if they're reading this: if you want to step into the big leagues as far as DAWs go, don't render third party plugins useless with no PDC and no way to sidechain without some ridiculous workaround. If it takes you a year and a half to add a new GUI and add audio tracks, get better programmers or pay them more money.

While I agree with this statement, the MPC Live (& the MPC 2.0 software) is more of a 'jack of all trades...master of none' type of product. Akai software programmers may not have the resources or aptitude to compete with the BIG BOYS of music production software. Personally, I will use the MPC Live for what it's good at which is a standalone sampler. I will use my Studio One DAW for everything else that I may need to do.

Previously,I expected the MPC Ren to be my 'all in one'... 'do it all' type device/software but I was extremely disappointed!! This time around I have MUCH LOWER expectations of Akai so I will use more than one tool to get the job done.
By greavous420 Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:42 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
What's the main comp.?

Better yet, What's his point..?? :hmmm:[/quote]

First thing is, main competition obviously is maschine which in my research doesn't have PDC.

Secondly it isn't a DAW. So if you are using it for that use, YOU are the problem not the software. Would you try and pull the trailer from an HGV lorry using a towbar on the back of a small car? No. Because that is not what it has been designed for!

Do you guys still try to put the square peg in the round hole when playing with kids toys as well?
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm
DAW or not…if you open the system for 3rd party plugins, no PDC is unforgivable and very immature.
The only acceptable scenario where you could have a system without it would be one where the software operates with its own plugins that somehow don't cause latency.
By starmanwarz Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:09 pm
Man I am losing faith in AKAI and I am thinking every day if I should give them any more money. The more I think of it the less I want to invest my hard earned money in the X. I am 100% sure that it will be plagued with software issues and/or hardware problems, they are known for using cheap ****.

I watched all the NAMM videos, several times and instead of going in depth or showing something useful, Andy preferred showing how responsive the touch screen is and how easy it is to use, like it's some kind of alien tech which they just invented. They keep focusing on that instead of showing what it can actually do. And since then it's all radio silence, no news, no demos, no interviews, no interaction with the community, nothing. Hype killers.

I hope all the above is bull**** and they release 2 great products but I really doubt it.
By willisill Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:11 pm
greavous420 wrote:
Secondly it isn't a DAW. So if you are using it for that use, YOU are the problem not the software. Would you try and pull the trailer from an HGV lorry using a towbar on the back of a small car? No. Because that is not what it has been designed for!

Do you guys still try to put the square peg in the round hole when playing with kids toys as well?

I'll never understand the logic behind defending Akai and blaming the end user for wanting pretty basic features. Since everyone who wants to use third party plugins is the problem (lol), why does the software scan those plugins at all? Why is it designed exactly like a DAW with channels, inserts, sends?

If people want a better, full-featured product, they should demand that product. That's the main reason audio tracks and real-time timestretch were even added in the first place. You get what you demand eventually, or you move on to better-suited tools. I, for one, am just moving on until they have what I want. I'm not that mad about it, but that doesn't mean I'll just say nothing and assume I'm the problem with their product haha.
By willisill Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm
greavous420 wrote:Once you make it a full daw the price will go up its pretty simple. Like if you buy a push 2 you only get an intro version of live. How would you like to spend all that money on an mpc and it only comes with mpc essentials?

I get what you're saying, but the people in this thread aren't asking for ALL the features of Ableton; just the one that lets them use 3rd party plugins without throwing off your entire session. And if you do the features vs cost, they're pretty similar. Suite + Push 2 = 1400, Live + MPC 2.0 = 1200. If standalone is worth more to you than the DAW, MPC would be the choice. For me, I'd rather have the DAW than a groovebox, but that's bc I need sidechain, portamento, and PDC very early in my process. And I really haven't seen anyone that uses MPC software not using a separate DAW anyway, so I guess you should add that to the cost.
By chino Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 pm
Fanu wrote:DAW or not…if you open the system for 3rd party plugins, no PDC is unforgivable and very immature.
The only acceptable scenario where you could have a system without it would be one where the software operates with its own plugins that somehow don't cause latency.

'lo siento'- I feel your pain. I also was there from the day 1 release of Akai MPC software 1.0. I personally KNOW how much effort it took to get Akai to this point!! I posted suggestions, feature requests, reported bugs etc.- all so that the MPC software could perform the most basic of tasks(that most DAWs can do). It's only now... YEARS later that Akai is adding audio tracks, real time time stretch & clip launch to the 2.0 software. Of course they're NOT implementing PDC in the 2.0 software! It's AKAI after all!!

Unfortunately, Akai needs another 2 to 3 years to add PDC, & side chaining. :Sigh:
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm
chino wrote:Unfortunately, Akai needs another 2 to 3 years to add PDC, & side chaining. :Sigh:

Honestly, I don't want to be a pessimist, but this is how I feel. It will take a long time.
I asked Geoff on Twitter about PDC and he said he understands the need.
Is it doable, I asked further. No reply. Not from Pete, either.

Guys, I'd say, you're sh*t outta luck if you're waiting for PDC. That will take some serious time.
Probably years. My best guess they haven't started doing it, as they can't say that it's doable, so they either have to go back and add it, which probably is a massive pain, or do it for 3.0.

Happy waiting.
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 pm
And yeah, I, too, have gone thru all the hassle of bug reports, requests, ball-busting and ass-kicking, only for the betterment of the product.
But I'm not too hopeful at that point.

A new working MPC would be dope, but in a way I have all the tools I need already, and am not super hyped about a half-assed product at this point.