Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Chillin Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:54 am
jpeg wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:I never used software to make music before but man I just discovered Push 2. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on youtube and I gotta say that I am really impressed.. Was thinking about getting a Maschine studio but this looks dope! Even the new MPC's seem archaic compared to Push 2..

push 2 is really dope prolly the best controller, id like to try it one day also

The X has an onboard sound card, the Push is a controller and has no sound card, so you'll need an external sound card. Abelton's software is superior to the Akai software at this moment. There is a bit of a learning curve since it is fully featured DAW.
By starmanwarz Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 am
Chillin wrote:The X has an onboard sound card, the Push is a controller and has no sound card, so you'll need an external sound card. Abelton's software is superior to the Akai software at this moment. There is a bit of a learning curve since it is fully featured DAW.

Ah, didn't think that I might need an external sound card. I do have an internal one (a Creative PCIE) and I also have a mixer (Yamaha MG 10/2) I'm guessing these aren't enough?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 am
starmanwarz wrote:
Chillin wrote:The X has an onboard sound card, the Push is a controller and has no sound card, so you'll need an external sound card. Abelton's software is superior to the Akai software at this moment. There is a bit of a learning curve since it is fully featured DAW.

Ah, didn't think that I might need an external sound card. I do have an internal one (a Creative PCIE) and I also have a mixer (Yamaha MG 10/2) I'm guessing these aren't enough?

You don't specifically need an external interface; your computer just needs an audio interface, be it internal or external, something that you can configure Ableton Live to use to send out all its audio (as well as to use to record incoming audio). As long as your OS recognises it as a suitable audio device, you are fine. So your Creative interface should suffice. Whether your interface is of the necessary quality or spec is another matter. For example, does it have enough inputs and outputs for your specific needs?
By starmanwarz Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:40 am
Absolutely not, it's just a generic PC soundcard. My PC output, MPC, turntables and DJ mixer are all connected to my Yamaha mixer.
By jpeg Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:19 pm
I was tempted to get a push2 but I knew I was buying it to keep me satiated until the mpc live and mpc2 comes out; so I decided against it, but I may still get one after the live but to play around cos its a good production tool.
By jpeg Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 pm
starmanwarz wrote:I wonder if the Push 2 can coexist with the X/Live. Probably not though.

they both do the same thing I dont get why people wanna use the maschine which the mpc they both the same I get u want variety, thats valid but when u wanna use both at the same time that seems odd.
By Ill-Green Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:54 pm
Only thing about Push 2 is that its pads control like a Seaboard. Push down and wiggle your finger and the sample will dance around.

Live/X can't do that.
By Chillin Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:25 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:You don't specifically need an external interface; your computer just needs an audio interface, be it internal or external, something that you can configure Ableton Live to use to send out all its audio (as well as to use to record incoming audio). As long as your OS recognises it as a suitable audio device, you are fine. So your Creative interface should suffice. Whether your interface is of the necessary quality or spec is another matter. For example, does it have enough inputs and outputs for your specific needs?

That's true, but what I meant was it doesn't come with a sound card on board.

I do record small pieces in Abelton on the Mac Book, but never entire projects. So I don't have that experience.
Last edited by Chillin on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Chillin Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am
starmanwarz wrote:I wonder if the Push 2 can coexist with the X/Live. Probably not though.

The Ren and the Push 2 can, so I think the X and Live will do as well. But what is the benefit for such setup?
By jpeg Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm
Chillin wrote:

The Ren and the Push 2 can, so I think the X and Live will do as well. But what is the benefit for such setup?

Its pointless imo as they perform the same functions but people just like variety fair enuff
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:29 pm
jpeg wrote:Its pointless imo as they perform the same functions but people just like variety fair enuff

Ableton/Push with session view, in-key scales, step sequence layout, step-based automation etc does differ a lot from the MPC.
I'm not actually saying this in the "it's better" sense at all…just saying they're not exactly the same.

I've always liked sample editing in the MPC way better...I love seeing the huge sample editor, for example.
Also the fact you can directly load the sample onto the pad without assigning an instrument to it.
Small things.

Both have pros and cons and they're not exactly similar.
By Fanu Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:31 pm
Actually, in my book, Ableton Live's biggest flaw is the lack of dedicated sample edit.
I love being able to just hit sample edit in MPC and rock on and see the huge sample screen.
To me, that is a biggie.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:33 pm
Fanu wrote:Actually, in my book, Ableton Live's biggest flaw is the lack of dedicated sample edit.
I love being able to just hit sample edit in MPC and rock on and see the huge sample screen.
To me, that is a biggie.

Convenient yes, but I feel SAMPLE EDIT in the MPC is still pretty basic and clunky. It's one area where I'd expect to see the MPC take more features from dedicated editors like Audition, soundforge etc. It's even missing simple stuff like vertical zooming (something even basic legacy MPCs had). Hopefully applying effects/vsts in sample edit will also be possible at some point.