Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By greavous420 Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:14 pm
jpeg wrote:
Akai clearly dont care about ur money; also when it drops u gonna be looking funny style with that maschine jam trash in ur hand

Not really. It works, it works really well in fact. Am still debating whether to go fully Maschine but it looks more that way each day. It's not that its got much that the MPC doesn't have, the 8x8 grid and touchstrips are really handy for my needs and can pick up a Maschine MK2 or Studio 2nd hand and still not spend more than a LIve would cost.

We get it jpeg, you worship Akai like its Jesus. Go and tell some more people about how you got told its getting released in March, and then say its subject to change when you get called out for believing sales staff from a shop that doesn't want you to buy it from another shop so intentionally told you a false date. You're a salesmans dream aka gullible.
By jpeg Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 pm
Fanu wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ7rL4rFq-z/?taken-by=fanufatgyver

Octatrack working fine. Nothing to complain about. Can highly recommend.
The only thing I'd nag about is the manual…really, the worst and illogical manual there is.

the oct-track seems like a poor subsitute for an mpc live; there is certainly nothing slick about the physical design and the screen is no better than the 1980s screen on the old style mpcs.

u may as well gone and got an mpc1k cos it seems feature-wsie the oct track offers little that the older mpc 's could not do.

so again i will suggest ur gonna be looking funny style when the mpc live drops; unless ur just a gear collector in general, but at least the resale value on the octrack should be better than the jam.

but the notion of buying something out of fustration cos ur first choice was unavailable seems silly imo
By jpeg Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm
greavous420 wrote:
jpeg wrote:
Akai clearly dont care about ur money; also when it drops u gonna be looking funny style with that maschine jam trash in ur hand

Not really. It works, it works really well in fact. Am still debating whether to go fully Maschine but it looks more that way each day. It's not that its got much that the MPC doesn't have, the 8x8 grid and touchstrips are really handy for my needs and can pick up a Maschine MK2 or Studio 2nd hand and still not spend more than a LIve would cost.

We get it jpeg, you worship Akai like its Jesus. Go and tell some more people about how you got told its getting released in March, and then say its subject to change when you get called out for believing sales staff from a shop that doesn't want you to buy it from another shop so intentionally told you a false date. You're a salesmans dream aka gullible.

actually ur mistaken I have no pre order i will just call around in march and see if anything is available to snap up.

but akai in general are a shit company I only have interest in the mpc and I give them credit to listening to the feature requests that were made to NI and implementing those requests before NI.

but the fact u only brought jam cos u were frustrated waiting for the live means that the jam and the maschine was ur second choice, so no matter how u try to convince urself to like jam u know u got the 2nd option, apart from the touch strip jam is trash, imo

just NI tryna cashing off the success of push2 with a lesser controller,
By Fanu Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm
jpeg wrote:u may as well gone and got an mpc1k cos it seems feature-wsie the oct track offers little that the older mpc 's could not do.

A more false statement has probably never been said on this forum. You have no idea how deep that thing is until you unravel it a bit.
By jpeg Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 pm
Fanu wrote:
jpeg wrote:u may as well gone and got an mpc1k cos it seems feature-wsie the oct track offers little that the older mpc 's could not do.

A more false statement has probably never been said on this forum. You have no idea how deep that thing is until you unravel it a bit.

what features does it have that other mpcs dont?

but it does sound great in ur instragram vid; however i dislike the physical design and I dont like the screen.
Last edited by jpeg on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Wormhelmet Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm
Fanu wrote:

So far I've read posts from him weighing in on Maschine Jam, Octatrack, MV's, the new Live, the new X.

What a wealth of clueless information from someone that has never touched any of them.
By jpeg Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:
So far I've read posts from him weighing in on Maschine Jam, Octatrack, MV's, the new Live, the new X.

What a wealth of clueless information from someone that has never touched any of them.

just my opinion based on observation of them in use; they have no use to me but obviously other like them can can be very productive on them
By Fanu Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 pm
jpeg wrote:
what features does it have that other mpcs dont?

Parameter locks, for example…lock certain parameters on steps. Sliding between them is amazing.
Let's say you have a string sound that triggers on step 1, and you want its filter to close towards step 16…it's easy to do just by locking the filter start value on step 1 and end value on step 16 and then "automate" the smooth sliding between them. You can record a realtime tweak, of course.
And instead of the regular reverse sample playback, and you can simply morph between the rate it plays forward or backward, almost doing scratch-type effects. Program that on steps.

And then you have scenes and a crossfader to morph between them; lock certain parameters to the left of the crossfader, some to the right, and using the crossfader you morph between them.
Then you have Parts which are like snapshots of everything…you can jump between them quickly and seamlessly.

And I love the fact that there's one dedicated button on the panel that lets you immediately have all parameters etc jump back to the last saved state…you dont have to load it, just hit the button.
Lets you mess with stuff, and if you dont like it, just hit Reload (it does actually pressing two buttons, Function and Reload, so you wont do it accidentally).

And just tons more…I mean I got the device on Tuesday, and finished reading the manual today.
It's just really deep, and the whole logic is just a breath of fresh air.

One thing must be said: it's not comparable to all the other devices we've got used to…the whole Elektron logic is a world of its own, and especially Octatrack is something that won't really give you any idea of it if you mess with it in a store. It's the least intuitive device I've used. Tried using it in a store some time ago, and left super confused and frustrated. Wasnt getting any sound out back then. You gotta read the manual to understand it.
It's not difficult, just way different, and it feels great using a device that makes you think differently, because different devices inspire different ideas and music.
By Wormhelmet Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:55 pm
I just bought a used Spectralis 2 for the same reasons. Its deep. It has parameter locks too. 4 gb sample mem, 3 dsp synths, one 4 osc analog synth. 12db and 24db Analog filters, digital filters, drums, 17 sequencers. Owner sold it because he didnt feel he was getting all that it offered and wanted something simpler. Pow - thats my territory. Diving into deep features. Got the simple covered already and wanted something very not ordinary.
By Fanu Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 am
Wormhelmet wrote:I just bought a used Spectralis 2 for the same reasons. Its deep. It has parameter locks too. 4 gb sample mem, 3 dsp synths, one 4 osc analog synth. 12db and 24db Analog filters, digital filters, drums, 17 sequencers. Owner sold it because he didnt feel he was getting all that it offered and wanted something simpler. Pow - thats my territory. Diving into deep features. Got the simple covered already and wanted something very not ordinary.

Yeah man.
I'm not sure MPC is even trying to compete with the other gear (maybe it is), but feature-wise, it is a bit behind, to be honest. Step-specific automation is great; you can do with Push 2, too…just want a reverb to come on on the snare and nothing else? Piece of cake.
Will MPC ever get features like that, and how many years will it take? Who knows.
MPC is still super great for making sample-based music fairly quickly, and its chopping it's really quick, too.
For all my hiphop purposes (I like to keep it simple, whereas in bass music type thing, I like to get more tech), it's good and quick...but anything a bit deeper and more technical, not really.
By starmanwarz Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 pm
I never used software to make music before but man I just discovered Push 2. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on youtube and I gotta say that I am really impressed.. Was thinking about getting a Maschine studio but this looks dope! Even the new MPC's seem archaic compared to Push 2..
By jpeg Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm
starmanwarz wrote:I never used software to make music before but man I just discovered Push 2. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on youtube and I gotta say that I am really impressed.. Was thinking about getting a Maschine studio but this looks dope! Even the new MPC's seem archaic compared to Push 2..

push 2 is really dope prolly the best controller, id like to try it one day also
By starmanwarz Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:32 pm
jpeg wrote:
starmanwarz wrote:I never used software to make music before but man I just discovered Push 2. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on youtube and I gotta say that I am really impressed.. Was thinking about getting a Maschine studio but this looks dope! Even the new MPC's seem archaic compared to Push 2..

push 2 is really dope prolly the best controller, id like to try it one day also

Yeah, my only problem is that I would have to learn Ableton and just by looking at it I'm getting a headache lol.. As I've said, never used any kind of software before, I wonder how hard it would be.

Gotta say that the Push 2 + Ableton price is very temping and it's much cheaper than the X I was planning on buying. Feature wise it also seems much much better. Decisions decisions...
By Chillin Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:42 am

I own a Push 2, it can do a lot, but there are things you can't do from the hardware.
With the new Akai releases, the Akai's will be able to do more.