Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By jayblu Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 pm
Questions:

I am quite new to home recording and MPCs. I have a few related questions concerning my MPC Touch, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and Fame phantom powered microphone:
1. What is the simplest/standard way to sample, in the MPC software (with an MPC Touch), from a microphone I have connected to a USB audio interface?
2. If the standard way to do this is by physically connecting the Out from the audio interface to the In on the MPC, is it possible to do this *without* physically connecting the audio interface to the MPC and *without* having to go into preferences on the MPC software and select the audio interface? That is, is both devices being connected to the same computer sufficient.

Naturally, I would more generally like to be able to open the Sampler and immediately sample anything I have connected to the audio interface (such as bass, guitar, keys). Notably, in my mind if I have to go into preferences on the MPC software and select the USB audio interface every time I want to sample this doesn't really count as simple if I could instead physically connect the two devices.

The microphone is phantom powered so it is my understanding that I cannot connect it directly to the MPC.

More details:

Last night I tried connecting the Out from the audio interface to the physical In on the MPC but was having noise problems (likely due to my using quite an old cable). If this is the canonical way to do this so to speak, then I will obviously sort this out, but I wonder if there is a more natural way to somehow do this virtually -- it seems a bit absurd to have to physically connect two devices which are each connected to the computer, but maybe there is some technical reason behind this (maybe my computer can only really communicate with one soundcard at a time?).

Thanks in advance for your help
Jack
By Shades-of-Grey Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 pm
jayblu wrote:Questions:

If the standard way to do this is by physically connecting the Out from the audio interface to the In on the MPC, is it possible to do this *without* physically connecting the audio interface to the MPC and *without* having to go into preferences on the MPC software and select the audio interface? That is, is both devices being connected to the same computer sufficient.

Naturally, I would more generally like to be able to open the Sampler and immediately sample anything I have connected to the audio interface (such as bass, guitar, keys). Notably, in my mind if I have to go into preferences on the MPC software and select the USB audio interface every time I want to sample this doesn't really count as simple if I could instead physically connect the two devices.

More details:

Last night I tried connecting the Out from the audio interface to the physical In on the MPC but was having noise problems (likely due to my using quite an old cable). If this is the canonical way to do this so to speak, then I will obviously sort this out, but I wonder if there is a more natural way to somehow do this virtually -- it seems a bit absurd to have to physically connect two devices which are each connected to the computer, but maybe there is some technical reason behind this (maybe my computer can only really communicate with one soundcard at a time?).

Thanks in advance for your help
Jack

Wal Martian provided the info on the device you would need to plug directly into the MPC from the mic. As far as them being connected to the same computer, no that will not suffice for the Interface to record in the MPC software, you will have to select the input as your interface if you want to use it to record. If you plug it up the way Wal Martian stated you will have to select the MPC as the input device in the 2.0 software settings.

Once you select your audio device in preferences for input and output, unless you change it, it should remain the same as long as the device stays powered on. Whenever I open the 2.0 software it does say something to the effect of preferences have changed, but whenever I have then checked it they are still the same with my Clarett 4pre as the the audio in and out. If you are having to select it every single time you open it up something else seems to be going on for your interface at least, assuming your not powering down your computer every time your done with it, since the 2i4 doesn't have a power switch. If you are using the Touch and you turn it off then back on it will reset the input and output options.

The noise issue could be a number of things. Are you using a power conditioner? Such as this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gL9IeBdRC ... ug=9014964

Dirty power often causes unpleasant feedback from any source whether your computer or gear. I had to use one of these power conditioners to get rid of a hum issue I was having.

I also had to use one of these ground loop hum exterminators to get rid of hum coming from my iMac:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oCrfzw_wcB

Also if you think it's the cable are you using balanced or unbalanced cables. MPC Touch inputs and outputs are balanced (TRS). You can use unbalanced (TS), but there will be a degradation in quality due to lack of noise cancellation.

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/