Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By turnstile Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:08 pm
I'm mocking up my verse vocal melody and want to record it via one of my keyboards. The seq. length is 2 bars, but my vocal melody track needs to be 8. When I set that tracks LEN to 32 and record, it only records 2 bars then begins overdubbing.

Is the length only able to be shorter than the seq length itself? And if so why can you select longer in the LEN parameter? I'm currently running the latest 1.9.6 build.
By Lampdog Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 pm
Copy your 2 bars and add them back to itself so it will end up being 4 bars.
Do it again, copy 4 bars and add them back to itself and you end up with 8 bars.
Done.
By turnstile Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 pm
Thanks. Yes I realize I can copy the original as mentioned. But to my original questions; so the LEN feature is only for tracks shorter than the original seq, and not longer? And is there a reason why longer values can be selected?
By Lampdog Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:03 pm
I don't have anything newer than 4k but I'm going to guess here.

Seq is 2, You want track to be 8. Record will loop with seq? So just make the seq longer with the suggestions presented above. Won't copying bars automagically make seq longer anyway? They can both be 8.
By turnstile Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:05 pm
Thanks everyone. To Lampdog, it was a new feature added in the Ren software v1.9. Where each track can be an independent length of one another. But I am finding out that the feature only allows you to have different lengths if they're shorter than the original seq length. Its confusing as the value allows you to go much longer than the original seq length, even though it does not actually follow that length.

The way I work is I first write a nice 2 to 4 bar drum part. Then from there come up with the bass line for that part. Which is normally going to be at least 4 bars. If I want the bass line to be 8 bars, due to the part that Im writing, I cannot use the feature to make that independent track longer. I realize I can use the old way of copy/pasting, however it would be nice to be able to use this feature they have included.
By Lampdog Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 pm
Forget the feature track length for now and base all lengths on Seq length is my suggestion.

Make a super long seq by copying and pasting. Work inside of that.

Don't get caught up with stuff that complicates things imo.
By ntalec Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm
Lampdog wrote:Forget the feature track length for now and base all lengths on Seq length is my suggestion.

Make a super long seq by copying and pasting. Work inside of that.

Don't get caught up with stuff that complicates things imo.

And this is pretty much the only way you could expect it to work, except for the copying and pasting to create the long sequence part instead you just need to set the desired total song length.
It's designed so that when you select a track to record on and pick a length for that track you will then be looping that track at the desired length while the sequence continues to play normally.
Allows you to build drum patterns or to not have to copy things like basslines since it will loop it.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
So you just work within the desired length of your overall song without having to copy or start and stop.
It allows you to get your FL Studio vibe going inside the MPC.