Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By dryad-66 Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 pm
I have a MPC Touch just arrived here and am not going to register it but i would like to know what information i will need to input to get it up and going (for resale use.)Seems like i will have to input the serial thats on the unit plus the purchace shop and date??or can that be bypassed some how.It was second hand and the sellar said he deregistered it but is now hard to contact,Cheers
By ntalec Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm
Honestly you need to find out if the previous owner unregistered it because if you sell it as being able to be registered and they can't you have basically scammed someone even with trying to.
Best to verify before you sell either by trying to register it or getting Akai to check, that way you will know what you are actually selling.
Granted if you register it you would have to unregister it again so contacting Akai is probably your best bet.
By ntalec Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Dont register it if you don't plan on keeping it. Last I looked Akai's MPC Software license was restricted to a one-time ownership transfer. They might not actually hold you to this, but if you are concerned about the registration status, just contact them.

Don't know but I had my Studio registered on 2 different computers as different users then sold it to someone who registered it as a new owner.
I just made sure I contacted Akai each time it changed hands.
By dryad-66 Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 am
Well i will contact akai.

"Dont register it if you don't plan on keeping it. Last I looked Akai's MPC Software license was restricted to a one-time ownership transfer. They might not actually hold you to this, but if you are concerned about the registration status, just contact them."

Blimey.......i will stick to hardware if thats the case.Making music aint what it used to be.....
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 pm
Here's the clause from the MPC Software installer, you know, the bit that everyone agrees to that no one ever actually reads :lol:

9.2. Transfer to third party. If you are the person who initially licensed the software, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of your license and the software to another end user, provided that you do not retain any copies of the software and you follow inMusic’s license transfer procedures. For further information, please visit the Web sites listed at the end of this document.

That sounds pretty clear to me - only the person who originally purchased the MPC gets to do a one time transfer to someone else. That means if you purchase second hand, you don't get to sell it on. In theory of course, I do suspect this is unlikely to be something they hold you to in practice, but do be aware that it is there in black and white.

I would also point out that clause 1 of the license claims it is a 'non transferrable' license, so the 9.2 clause is actually at odds with clause 1. The license also doesn't allow for you to use the software on more than 1 device at a time, yet we know the beta 'ilok' allows for installation and activation on 2 devices.

Of course, this is Akai we are talking about, so I assume the iconic tea boy put the license together on his lunch break.

BTW, on the subject of the license, if you intend using any of the supplied expansions in your music, be aware that you agree to "indemnify, defend, and hold inMusic harmless from and against any claims or liabilities arising from your use of the media elements". So if any of the sounds in those expansions have dubious copyright history and you get sued for using them, you cannot in turn sue inMusic for supplying them to you.

Also if you use those sounds, you must 'include a valid copyright notice on your derivative works' - to be pedantic, this means that if you wish to release public domain music (which has no copyright and therefore cannot include a copyright notice), you cannot use any of the supplied expansions to make that music.
By dryad-66 Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:59 pm
To Akai s credit heres the quick response i got-

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you!

Product registration on akaipro.com has been updated to ensure all customers have the same excellent experience even if they're registering a pre-owned, open-box, or demo product. When a new user registers their product at akaipro.com account, any prior registration will be removed, and the new user will receive their complete set of included content (varies by product).

You should be all set!"

So does not sound so bad in practice.Still i must say i much prefer my hardware !!!!!