Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Leefox88 Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am
Hello,

So last night after moving my studio setup and reassembling everything I accidently plugged the wrong power supply into my MPC Ren.

I plugged in a 12v 2.9A AC power supply.
(The ren is supposed to take 12v 2A DC power.)

It switched on fine....
Then after a few moments of use (hitting pads etc) it completely switched off and wouldn't turn back on again.

What potential damage have I caused and what are my options to fix it

Thanks in advance
By Leefox88 Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 am
Just to add....

I have unscrewed the back casing and had a quick look at the motherboard.
There are no burn / scorch marks anywhere.
The Jack input for the power socket does smell burnt though as if something has burnt out there but again no actual sign of fire damage.

I believe the MPC Ren does not have an internal 'fuse' - so what safety devices does the MPC Ren have?

Again, thanks in advance
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 am
I did a similar thing to my original MPC touch, wrong PSU, briefly turned on, make a weedy little pop, game over. While I couldn't see any damage inside my Touch, it definitely stank of smoke. At the time I had dialog with Mike from MPC Stuff about my Touch and he told he to just write it off, realistically nothing can be done considering the cost of replacing mainboards etc, these are after all fairly low cost machines to replace, a second hand Ren is something like £300, a new mainboard would probably cost something similar.

Of course it might not be so bad, it might just be an easy fix so get some opinions, maybe try Akai.
By Living Bate Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am
happened to my Ren just outside of warranty....

courier to deliver, courier to return, £150 worth of work / parts.....wasn't far off the cost of just getting another unit...

started running my shit through surge protectors straight after...
By richie Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:43 pm
Living Bate, can you do me a favor and take a picture of the PSU, where it shows the info of polarity, etc.