Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By ttrainprod Sun May 27, 2018 10:41 pm
Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the massive wall of text, but man I need some advice haha.

I'm seeking some advice as I'm considering purchasing my first MPC machine. For some background, I use Logic as my main DAW along with an arsenal of vst's. I'm ready to step into an MPC machine, as I have used Akai keyboard and pad controllers for a while now. I've been eyeing the MPC Touch and MPC Live, however the price tag on the live is veering me away from it despite it's capabilities. Now a couple of big points for me that will sway my purchase decision are:

1. To get the most out of an MPC machine such as the Touch or Live, would I need to begin to make the transition to the MPC 2.0 as my main DAW of choice (rather than using it as a plug-in in logic)? This is a big point for me because i'm VERY attracted to the features of these machines, but I've spent so much time mastering logic that switching DAW's to get the most functionality out of the machine would create a setback in my production workflow.

2. While I understand that the big selling point by Akai for the Live is the stand alone features (which I like), it's really not toooooo big of an issue for me. So with that in mind, would the touch be a good option for someone like me (been producing in Logic for a while now, very familiar with it, but want to access the capabilities and workflow of MPC machines)?

Essentially, while I really like what these machines have to offer, I'm worried that they may create more of a set back for me right off the bat until I conquer the learning curve with a new DAW functionality.
By Lampdog Mon May 28, 2018 3:59 pm
I read it all.

If you want to continue using Logic the way you have because you feel your advanced Logic user, and don't care to ever use standalone hardware then Touch controller is perfect.

All of the above plus maybe dabble in standalone production then Live.

Logic has proven itself forever and five days. MPC Software hasn't. I wouldn't switch DAWs.
By ttrainprod Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 pm
I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

I think it would be best to stick with logic for my needs. After doing some research I've found that MPC lacks some software features that I heavily rely on in my productions (quick sidechaining, etc.).
By Bezo Tue May 29, 2018 4:34 pm
Logic/MPC Touch user...

Live has additional in/outputs & HD. Connected to the CPU, functionally, Touch & Live are identical.

I was new to both MPC 2.0 & Logic, coming from Pro Tools. My aim was to use MPC 2.0 for the creative process, then clean up & mix in Logic. But because I was new to both, first thing I did was make a track in each. As much as I enjoyed the MPC workflow, I had to abandon it due to the lack of multi-output/timbral plugin support. It's only a big deal for drums as I use VIs almost exclusively, but that's 3-12 passes to get kit pieces, room & overhead mics on their own tracks.

I'm full time in Logic and use MPC as a plugin with the Touch in MIDI Mode. My Touch is an expensive pad controller at this point, but that's mainly because I don't sample often. If you do, you'd get much more use out of it. If not, especially since you're skilled in and seem to like Logic, it may not be as useful.

MPC is very close to a DAW, but is missing some key features. I'm considering ditching my Touch, but I'm holding out for a short while to see if they add multi-timbral plugin support. If they do, I would definitely make another attempt with MPC 2.0.
By Lampdog Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm
IF I was exclusively VI in a DAW and needed a controller, I'd choose....

This thing is a great shit.
By ttrainprod Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Bezo wrote:Logic/MPC Touch user...

Live has additional in/outputs & HD. Connected to the CPU, functionally, Touch & Live are identical.

I was new to both MPC 2.0 & Logic, coming from Pro Tools. My aim was to use MPC 2.0 for the creative process, then clean up & mix in Logic. But because I was new to both, first thing I did was make a track in each. As much as I enjoyed the MPC workflow, I had to abandon it due to the lack of multi-output/timbral plugin support. It's only a big deal for drums as I use VIs almost exclusively, but that's 3-12 passes to get kit pieces, room & overhead mics on their own tracks.

I'm full time in Logic and use MPC as a plugin with the Touch in MIDI Mode. My Touch is an expensive pad controller at this point, but that's mainly because I don't sample often. If you do, you'd get much more use out of it. If not, especially since you're skilled in and seem to like Logic, it may not be as useful.

MPC is very close to a DAW, but is missing some key features. I'm considering ditching my Touch, but I'm holding out for a short while to see if they add multi-timbral plugin support. If they do, I would definitely make another attempt with MPC 2.0.

Thanks for the input!

I feel you on that. I decided to not purchase one for the EXACT reasons you mentioned. The lack of support for multi-timbral plugin is a dealbreaker for me. I failed to mentioned that I already have an MPD 226 and it works flawlessly mapped to my custom settings in logic. Based on the fact that I'd be investing a good deal of money into a machine that would, in reality, act the same as my MPD 226 just doesn't seem logical (no pun indented lol). I really appreciate your input, as I'd literally be doing the same thing you are now haha. Seems like Akai would add multi-timbral plugin support for the Touch by now... Despite their claims of these machines working "seamlessly" with any other DAW, there sure is a lot of setbacks. Just wanted to hear opinions on wether or not it would be worth a shot at learning, but at this point I think I'll just stay where I'm at for the time being.

Happy producing!