Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Rosskidd Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:43 pm
I recently purchased an MPC Renaissance from eBay, expecting smooth operation as the image showed a functional MPC with the logo on LCD, only to encounter a blinking blue light issue during boot. Undiscouraged, I turned to this community for insights. Thanks to a helpful pointer indicating a potential power issue, I dove into a repair journey armed with minimal electronics knowledge and a background in software development and engineering.

Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Voltage Testing: Identified a lack of 12v on the power barrel. Off-board testing confirmed the power barrel's functionality.
2. Board Power Flow Investigation: Followed the power flow, discovering a functional 000 SMD resistor (R1), initially mistaken for an issue I thought the heat was coming from here.
3. Power Switch (SW1) and Diode Inspection (D9): Suspected issues with the power switch and the diode under the toggle button. Though the power switch melted while trying to remove the previous resistor… I replaced it with a toggle on-off switch mounted to the chassis.
4. Diode Replacement: With improved access after the switch replacement, identified the PJ2426 DZV (D9 as shown in image) Diode as the culprit. It was running hot and testing faulty with continuity in both directions. Replaced it with an SS34 SMD diode, based on what I learned about how diodes work, I found it to be a suitable replacement based on its characteristics and compatibility.

Successful Resolution:
The replacement of the diode solved the blinking blue light issue in my instance, and I now have a fully functional MPC Renaissance.

Disclaimer:
This repair might not be a universal fix, and attempting it involves risks. I personally did not invest much in the MPC and was willing to take the chance. Equipping myself with tools like a hot air station, a decent microscope, and a soldering station facilitated the process. Proceed at your own risk and consider the potential outcomes.

I would gladly provide additional information related to this experience if needed.

Happy beat-making!