Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By hry Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:54 am
Hello all!

I'm new in the forum and just trying to find out this (maybe simple) thing! I just bought a dsi tetra synth and want like crazy to play it with my AKAI MPK25 keyboard...but I cannot find the way to control it via midi connection. MPK25 seems to have many profiles for different connections but all of them are software configurations. Any ideas on that??

Thank you in advance!
By damien907 Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 pm
i would assume you would go midi out of that to midi in on your synth then set your synth up to recieve the midi notes coming into it. you may not even have to set your synth up, it might just work like that.
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 pm
Pick one of the generic templates on the mpk. It transmits on channel one and should work out of the box. If not, check to see what channel your dsi is looking for data from.
By hry Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 pm
I've already tried and achieved that with another synth. It's pretty easy as you described. But with the mpk25 seems to be more difficult, because no signal is carried out of it in the midi in of the synth, although I've tried a variety of the profile presets.
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm
So the MPK has worked with another synth, but not the DSI?

What channel is the MPK transmitting on?

What channel is the Tetra receiving (ALL, 1, 2,...)?

You may need to read the manuals to make sure you've got your settings right.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/davesmithinstruments/tetra/manual.pdf

http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25
By hry Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 am
That's what I did. The DSI receives from all midi channels. I've tried various transmision channels at the mpk but no luck :-(

MeSoHordey wrote:Pick one of the generic templates on the mpk. It transmits on channel one and should work out of the box. If not, check to see what channel your dsi is looking for data from.
By DBM Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:16 pm
Go into the global parameters section of the tetra .
" Midi control " must be set to on .
" Midi parameters " must be set to all , or cc etc. to send control changes .
In the mpk - You will have to create a preset from scratch . Using the editor makes it easy .
In the manual it lists all the midi CC's use them as the MPK does not send proper NRPN values ie you will get some stepping , but that's how it is .
Also the arp and note repeat will only work if you set the tetra's clock to external and the MPK to internal .

I have to assume from you posts that you are trying to control parameters , and that is what is not working ? Rather than just keys and wheels ?
By Fabo Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:48 pm
Hi!

I have problems to get my MPK61 to speak over MIDI with my Nord Rack 2x.
The Rack gets zero response when it is connected to the MPK.
But when i connect the Rack to my old Axiom25 it works fine.
Changed channel on the Rack without success. I don know how i change channel on the MPK. Did not find it in the pdf manuals online.

I have tried Generic preset and the problem is still there.
Is there any MPK guru out the, that can help me with my problem ?=)

My hardware setup:
iMac --USB--> MPK61 --MIDI-cable--> Nord Rack 2x.
No external power supply.

I read in the MIDI manual for the MPK that it can be problems with external MIDI devices.
But the solution AKAI suggested dos not work. i use Logic.

" When the controller is powered via the optional MP6-1 power adapter alone (and is not connected via USB), the MIDI Out jack functions like it would on a stand-alone (non-USB) keyboard or MIDI controller. Any MIDI generated from the keys, pads, or controls will be sent out the MIDI Out jack.

However, when the controller is connected to the computer via USB, the MIDI In and MIDI Out jacks on the controller become inputs and outputs for the computer. The advantage of this is that in this situation, its like you have a USB MIDI controller, and a separate 1-in, 1-out USB MIDI interface.

So, when the controller is connected via USB, and you want to get MIDI from it's keys, pads or controls to an external MIDI device connected to it's MIDI Out jack, the signal needs to go into the computer and get routed (by your software) back out USB Audio Device (2) (or AKAI controller (2) on the Macintosh) to the controller's MIDI Out jack, and on to your external MIDI device.

In Logic
1. In any existing project, create a new External MIDI track.
2. Set the Port (MIDI output) for this track to AKAI MPxxx (2)
3. Turn on Record Ready for the MIDI track.
4. Note: If you experience a delay between the time when you strike a key or a pad, and when you hear a sound from your software or external MIDI module, open your software's audio options, and reduce the buffer size of your sound card. This will reduce the overall latency, and will improve any MIDI delay you are experiencing. "

Sorry if my english is bad.
By Fabo Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm
Humm ok.
I have to bye a power supply then, and see if the problem is solved.
irritating as hell when other controller manufacturers go with "plug and play"...
Is it so hard too make products that just work?
Every time a new gear is added in the collection the session looks like this: 80% trouble shooting, 15% beer and 5% music making.

Sick of it!