Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By gorgorsan Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 am
Hi, I am about to purchase my very first controller so sorry for the noob question. I need a controller that instead of constantly fiddling with octave and semitone transpose up/down keys, has a different templates (presets or whatever they are called) that can save and load different note number and MIDI channel configurations for the keys. Is there such a controller?

thanks
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 am
gorgorsan wrote:Hi, I am about to purchase my very first controller so sorry for the noob question. I need a controller that instead of constantly fiddling with octave and semitone transpose up/down keys, has a different templates (presets or whatever they are called) that can save and load different note number and MIDI channel configurations for the keys. Is there such a controller?

thanks

Just about all of them. The differences to look for are, how many slots for saving presets, how much work is it to edit the assignments, does any software come included to make the template editing faster, and does the MIDi controller have any dynamic mapping that it may do on it's own? The latter thing is something you see on Novation and M-Audio controllers, where the controller tries to automatically map common parameters on a plugin for you.

But yes splits, channel assigning and all you mentioned is common to almost all controllers, it just differs how much work to have to do to assign what you want.