Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By golfdogz Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:44 am
I purchased the thick pads for my 2500.. while i like the variety you can get in high velocity hits, i hate how hard i have to hit them to get notes to trigger and as i also use my mpc to trigger a piano module they arent very suited to that.. as such ive gone back to standard pads and corx which are def my preferred..

but now im thinkin as i have the second set of thick pads, why not add an mpd to my setup to send midi into the 2500 for best of both worlds. it cant hurt to be able to trigger 2 banks at the same time and also have the option of the thick pads for hard style finger drummin when called for.

so what im needing is

-an mpd that has actual midi out - not just usb
-can accept the same pads as the 2500 - which seems like all of them
-holds up well for hard hittin (so lookin for one that doesnt feel 'plastiky')

i dont really want to pay as much as the mpd 32 costs..so i think im leaning towards the 24 or 26.. but not sure of pro's con's i should be taking into consideration - or if either is particularly suited to the fat pad mod
By mr_debauch Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 am
golfdogz wrote:I purchased the thick pads for my 2500.. while i like the variety you can get in high velocity hits, i hate how hard i have to hit them to get notes to trigger and as i also use my mpc to trigger a piano module they arent very suited to that.. as such ive gone back to standard pads and corx which are def my preferred..

but now im thinkin as i have the second set of thick pads, why not add an mpd to my setup to send midi into the 2500 for best of both worlds. it cant hurt to be able to trigger 2 banks at the same time and also have the option of the thick pads for hard style finger drummin when called for.

so what im needing is

-an mpd that has actual midi out - not just usb
-can accept the same pads as the 2500 - which seems like all of them
-holds up well for hard hittin (so lookin for one that doesnt feel 'plastiky')

i dont really want to pay as much as the mpd 32 costs..so i think im leaning towards the 24 or 26.. but not sure of pro's con's i should be taking into consideration - or if either is particularly suited to the fat pad mod

the mpd16 works fine for just that ... no bells and whistles... but it could probably use the fat pads even if the sensitivity is not too terrible on a good condition one. They are cheap, and if you hate the controller you could always keep it lying around for the spare set of black pads and sensor sheet. Sometimes you find them for under 50 bucks brand new in the box (even if that mpd is old..) oh, and it isn't built too badly.
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:01 am
The MPD32 is still probably the best bet. the 2 extra sliders and knobs are handy. On the MPD32 you are limited in the amount of MIDI CC assigns you can program as it 3 control banks, 4 would have been better. It's a total of 78 assigns counting the faders, buttons, knobs x3 banks. I think all the MPD's have physical 5 pin MIDI sockets, the MPD 18 is the only one that doesn't I believe. The MPD16 had MIDI out, gave mine away years ago. All the MPD's are plastic, but the bases are reasonably sturdy and the rubber feet large so they feel solid enough on the desk, just not MPC solid.

I have the Fat Pads and corx in my MPD32 and frankly am puzzled when I see posts that mention having to hit the Fat Pads so hard. I don't have to hit them hard at all provided the internal sensitivity/threshold settings are maxed. On a 2500 you can fine tune these things even further than the MPD32 so I would think there has to be a sweet spot you can set everything at to not have to hit the Fat Pads so hard.

But yeah the Fat Pads work great in the MPD's. I think I got my MPD for $250 tax included when the salesmen gave me a mild price break and the used ones sell for $200 or so. If the MPD 26 doesn't have multiple control banks, so on each preset you only get a total of 12 assignable controls for MIDI CC's. Not sure if that's a consideration in what your planning golfdogz.

BTW - Korg padkontrols are about $100 used don't need to be modded and the pads are awesome. Triggered a 1000 for a long time with one. The $60 nanopad has great pads too plus a X/Y finger pad, if you don't mind a Linn Drum style pad arrangement.
By golfdogz Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:59 am
cool - cheers for the answers there. ill just keep my eye on the classifieds and see what popps up

while id like the mpd 32 its a bit too pricey unless i find a bargain used one. and at the other end i would go for an mpd16 but i feel they are the ugliest looking piece of equipment ever made haha - very superficial of me i know but...still for the price if i see one i might deal with it.
By golfdogz Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:46 am
maybe make a wooden box to enclose it so just the pads and the midi cable stick out...could be nice. ahh too much work not enough time

seriously, they look like a fax machine meets 'the jetsons' :lol:
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 am
golfdogz wrote:maybe make a wooden box to enclose it so just the pads and the midi cable stick out...could be nice. ahh too much work not enough time

seriously, they look like a fax machine meets 'the jetsons' :lol:

Believe it or not $399 was the MSRP when those things released. The M-Audio Trigger Finger soon followed at $199 and MPD16 prices dropped drastically. I got mine new for $90USD.

As odd as they look it is cool that the pads are angled for ergonomics.

BTW - the MPD16 only has two bank slots.
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 am
Yeah 5 counting the 2 discontinued ones. All of them with the same sensor gap, just like every MPK.

Slightly related, I bet the MAX49 uses the newer Ren pads, hope people can finally just have these things work right out of the box.
By golfdogz Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:56 am
Metatron72 wrote:Slightly related, I bet the MAX49 uses the newer Ren pads, hope people can finally just have these things work right out of the box.

that would be nice if its got good pads straight up . the fact that its got CV is awesome.. if only it had 16 pads tho
By mr_debauch Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 pm
Metatron72 wrote:Yeah 5 counting the 2 discontinued ones. All of them with the same sensor gap, just like every MPK.

Slightly related, I bet the MAX49 uses the newer Ren pads, hope people can finally just have these things work right out of the box.

hey lets not forget the trigger finger and pad control... those have decent pads from what I remember. I think the korg one has an x/y controller on it too which is awesome.
By skurdnee Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 pm
I've had the MPD26 for prolly 4 years and I always thought I had to hit them too hard. Putting a few layers of electrical tape on the sensors last year and it made a world of difference. I also did the same to my MPC500. I've never used any other MPC/MPD but the difference was pretty huge in both of thee, at least for me.