Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By ecotton Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:58 am
just curious, what do you guys do to keep track of your midi mappings for yalls MPD/APC/whatever midi controller? i know all DAWs have the mappings in a list somewhere, but i find them a little confusing (or maybe it's just the way Ableton displays them). i've just been writing down all the knob and fader assignments in a notepad, usually filling a page per track. which i honestly enjoy and have no issue with, just wondering how all yall choose to keep things organized. ideally i would just try to memorize all my mappings, but for various reasons (cough) i find this quite difficult
By themagicalkamja Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Several years later, and no reply....hm

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been toying with Novation's Automap, which seems like a great idea in theory, but in reality the limiting factor for me is simply the inability recall all of my mappings. There are so many different VSTs out there with different layouts and functions and whatnot, even if Automap makes it so that the same mappings are recalled every time for each synth, at the end of the day, this is only as useful as the user's ability to keep straight the way they originally set the all up.

So, like the OP, I'd love to hear any strategies people employ for keeping everything straight in their head.
By ecotton Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 am
Automap is great but as you said, the user's memory is still the last line of defense. Since I've posted this I've actually grown to really really enjoy using pen and paper along with all the digital goodness computers provide us with. Would still love to hear about anybody else's preferred method.