Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By joel3115 Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 pm
I've had an MPD18 for a few years and I haven't used it a whole lot, but I recently took it out and tried to use it and the USB port was not working properly. I would need to move the cable around while it was plugged in in order for a connection to be made, which was obviously frustrating. I opened it up (stupidly) to see if I could do anything and the USB port came out completely. As far as I can tell everything else works fine, but once I opened it the warranty is void. Is there any way to get just the USB port replaced on an MPD18? I've been told it would cost more to fix then to replace ($80-$100) but that seems ridiculous since its just a $5 usb port right?
By mr_debauch Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:02 pm
well first of all... find out the real name of that port.. then go on ebay and buy one for a buck or two... then have it soldered in. Or get some nail polish and repaint the screws you undid and return it under warranty.
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 am
Luckily for you (or for someone who can use a soldering iron) you can cut a normal usb cord and solder it directly to the MPD. It's only 4 points from what I remember too.
By Flobara Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 pm
Really all it takes is a standard USB 2 port and 5 minutes of soldering work. I just bought a MPD 32 with a broken USB port and exchanged it.