Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By dtaa pla muk Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm

about a month or so ago, i requested a similar "COPY PARAMETER" function in LAYER mode using "UNDO" - just like in GPE.

JJ implemented the ability to copy parameters WITHIN a single pad's layer mode using UNDO, but did not implement the ability to copy params from 1 pad to another pad using UNDO.

currently, you can do this in GPE, but only for layer 1. the rest of the layers must be entered manually.

desired behavior:

1- enter LAYER screen for pad A01
2- move to layer 3 OR tune/level and assign a sample
3- hold UNDO
4- hit pad A02
5- DESIRED BEHAVIOR: sample OR parameter is copied to pad A02
By le rat Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 pm
This makes me think, on the early day of JJ OS it was a revolution to have the WHOLE button. It worked in a "vertical" way. I think it would be useful to have a key combination that could allow us to select parameters in an "horizontal" way.
By dtaa pla muk Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 pm
yeah, i definitely agree on that, i wanted a way in regular GPE to access the different layers. requested it a while back - nothing happened. this seems a little more easy to implement, especially when he's halfway there w/ the ability to copy existing params in the same window (layer)

in the meantime i made a macro called "copy top layer" which copies the LVL and TUNE param of the top layer to the bottom 2 (when you've chopped a break and have taken 3 snares and layered them velocitatively)
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 am
Nym wrote:Image

about a month or so ago, i requested a similar "COPY PARAMETER" function in LAYER mode using "UNDO" - just like in GPE.

JJ implemented the ability to copy parameters WITHIN a single pad's layer mode using UNDO, but did not implement the ability to copy params from 1 pad to another pad using UNDO.

currently, you can do this in GPE, but only for layer 1. the rest of the layers must be entered manually.

desired behavior:

1- enter LAYER screen for pad A01
2- move to layer 3 OR tune/level and assign a sample
3- hold UNDO
4- hit pad A02
5- DESIRED BEHAVIOR: sample OR parameter is copied to pad A02

Sup Nym, I just tried it and it copies two layers for me.

Can you meet JJ half way with having the high-lighted parameter select the goto parameter by pressing a bank then pad. Right now it only works with the copy from parameter.

For him to use undo as a copy pad may be confusing and difficult to do.
By dtaa pla muk Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am

i think there is a misunderstanding. i'm not talking about copying from layer 1 to layer 2. i'm talking about copying pad X layer 2 to pad Y layer 2 by holding UNDO and hitting the Y pad from the screen of X. a lot like what is possible in GPE.

(if that IS in fact, what you meant, are you using the 1000 or 2500? this behavior is not present in my 1000 on os2xl 3.13)
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 am
Nym wrote:

i think there is a misunderstanding. i'm not talking about copying from layer 1 to layer 2. i'm talking about copying pad X layer 2 to pad Y layer 2 by holding UNDO and hitting the Y pad from the screen of X. a lot like what is possible in GPE.

(if that IS in fact, what you meant, are you using the 1000 or 2500? this behavior is not present in my 1000 on os2xl 3.13)

Yeah I didn't understand, but with your response now I do. How about a "Copy Layer" on F3 or F4. This is a good request, but using the undo I think is tough to do.

BTW what is GPE.
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:18 am
Nym wrote:
but using the undo I think is tough to do.

could you go into more detail please?

GPE is global program edit. this screen:

Ooo, I knew that hehe.

The button "Undo Seq" was designed for sequence (I think I saw your MPC in a video and it was scratched off--I'm surprised you never put it into the custom mpc board) and JJ made it a "undo" button--it can undo events and a grid event.

It will not be intuitive to know you have to press undo to copy. This is where the six function keys come in because it tells you what option(s) you have for that screen.

When programming you have to be consistent and having a screen function on a different pad or button (other than the F keys) is confusing because you can't show the user quickly which button to press.
By dtaa pla muk Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 am
UNDO already is COPY param in GPE. to be consistent would be to keep that behavior in the LAYER screen, which is a part of GPE anyway. though stylistically/visually it would be better for it to be on an F key next to COPY PAD, it's more consistent (and physically handy) to have your right hand hold UNDO while your left hand hits the pad.
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 am
Nym wrote:UNDO already is COPY param in GPE. to be consistent would be to keep that behavior in the LAYER screen, which is a part of GPE anyway. though stylistically/visually it would be better for it to be on an F key next to COPY PAD, it's more consistent (and physically handy) to have your right hand hold UNDO while your left hand hits the pad.

Well I'll be dammed, you can copy down with it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. See without using the function keys I would never have known that without reading the book.

Since you can copy down with undo already adding another function to it will/may create a conflict.