Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By evil A Sulli Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm
Loop, Solo, and One are the three options for pad pattern mode. I would love to see one more called "lock." Lock will be used to lock the pad to the start of the bar no matter where you pressed it--it will round up to the closest bar. This will keep patterns in sync with no overlap into the next bar.

So, pressing a pad will insert all the data (in the correct same position you made it) upon a pad press. If you have a 1 bar pattern (the first note is on 1.01.00) and you press it at 2.01.24 the first note will be placed at 2.01.00.
By Sooty_G Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:24 am
the lock feature you're requesting wouldn't be a 4th option in addition to the other 3, it is more like a modification of the three.

example: you could have a pattern be loop locked, solo locked, or one locked - see what i mean? it's another option that applies to the other 3 when you want to have them start right on the bar.

it might have to be some sort of global option for pattern mode, where every pattern you trigger is quantized to the start of the next bar. something like Ableton Live.
By evil A Sulli Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm
Sooty_G wrote:the lock feature you're requesting wouldn't be a 4th option in addition to the other 3, it is more like a modification of the three.

example: you could have a pattern be loop locked, solo locked, or one locked - see what i mean? it's another option that applies to the other 3 when you want to have them start right on the bar.

it might have to be some sort of global option for pattern mode, where every pattern you trigger is quantized to the start of the next bar. something like Ableton Live.

You're correct, but when the MPC boots up it will be in locked mode. With all the possibilities of having 10 sets I see no reason to patterns without having it quantize to the beginning bar.

I mean you could have one set just for overlapping bars. This feature (lock) should be standard.
By Sooty_G Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:29 pm
evil A Sulli wrote:You're correct, but when the MPC boots up it will be in locked mode. With all the possibilities of having 10 sets I see no reason to patterns without having it quantize to the beginning bar.

I mean you could have one set just for overlapping bars. This feature (lock) should be standard.

personally, i think it should be the opposite. i think the whole genius of PATTERN mode is that it is NOT quantized, so you can remix & get all sorts of different polyrhythmns and beats from your patterns depending on when exactly you trigger them.

if you want all your patterns tightly quantized, then why even use pattern mode? just keep them in the sequence as tracks and mute/unmute as needed. they will always be in time that way.

but either way, if JJ adds this it should be a pref that you can set one way or the other. i would hate to seem him make it ALL quantized with no way to switch that option off.
By evil A Sulli Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 pm
Sooty_G wrote:
evil A Sulli wrote:
but either way, if JJ adds this it should be a pref that you can set one way or the other. i would hate to seem him make it ALL quantized with no way to switch that option off.

Agreed, an option will make old and new users happy.
By angel Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm
evil A Sulli wrote:
Sooty_G wrote:
evil A Sulli wrote:

Agreed, an option will make old and new users happy.

+1
By bliprock Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:00 am
Sooty_G wrote:
personally, i think it should be the opposite. i think the whole genius of PATTERN mode is that it is NOT quantized, so you can remix & get all sorts of different polyrhythmns and beats from your patterns depending on when exactly you trigger them.

if you want all your patterns tightly quantized, then why even use pattern mode? just keep them in the sequence as tracks and mute/unmute as needed. they will always be in time that way.

+1 thats what i think to
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm
Sooty_G wrote:
evil A Sulli wrote:

I want to also add if you press the pad on the last beat it will work with the next bar and if you press the pad on the first beat it is instantaneous to that bar. Injection points are first and last beat or first half and second half of a bar. This should allow flexibility to where you want the pattern to play--same bar or next bar.

As for me keeping them in a sequence, I can't because i'm using track mutes as patterns.