Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By innovine Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:47 am
I would like to see a way to punch in and out of recording at certain bars.

You would set the punch in and punch out points (maybe like how a loop is set), and then rewind to a point before the punch in. Press Rec.. the song starts Playing, then switches over to Rec at the punch in point, and then switches to Play again at the punch-out point. This would give the performer a nicer lead-in than the count-in click, and eliminates the need to manually trim the ends of the recording.
By le rat Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am
Yeah punch in/out with a rehearsal option would be dope. When you see the separate looper with its limitations I'm a bit pessimistic for main screen but let's request it again.
By innovine Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 pm
I get the feeling that the audio tracks and the looper are only half-done. They are interesting but not of much practical use yet, imho. It'd be really nice to see development go a bit further in this direction. Adding some very basic DAW functions would be such a nice touch.
By le rat Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm
Yeah I'd like to see these two features being improved too. The looper was also introduced as a workaround for audiotracks main drawback, which is the impossibility of making them loop. Users' feedback showed that it is a semi-failure.

So my ultimate wish is to have audiotracks loop again. In the current state, I think just having punch in/out recording would be a good step forward.
By dtaa pla muk Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:20 pm
^ audio tracks can't loop?

you mean if you have a 8 bar song and a 4 bar audio track and you want the audio track to sit for the duration of your 8 bars?

you can just put it 2x. once at the beginning and again at the beginning of the 5th bar.

correct my misunderstanding if i got you wrong

ah - you mean if you're recording it directly into the sequence, right?
ie using AT as a looper.
By le rat Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 pm
ie using AT as a looper.

Yes exactly. I was indirectly refering to the LOOP ON/OFF behavior with audiotracks.
Unfortunately specifications changed few years ago. For instance you can see that in the old bug list :

New & Change: New OS Ver4.50 23-Mar-2007
Change:
1. [AUDIO TRACK RECORDING]
  Processing of bar end.
 Sequence LOOP ON : Recording is stopped by END of a sequence.
 Sequence LOOP OFF: BAR is extended automatically and recording is continued.

OVER DUB + PLAY or START <=== Abolition.

Since then I think I keep on requesting limply this kind of old behavior.
By bliprock Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm
I use footswitch and it is set to overdub+play and overdub. This setting means you can play a sequence and at any time i just tap go into recording mode of sequence and tap footswitch again to stop recording. This does not stop or start the sequence though, just the overdubbing so is a kool way to do it i think. just is a manual punch in and out but im good at it and can always remove or add notes after. So yeah set punch in and out would be kinda cool in sequencer. though i dont use the looper much so have no opinion either way, just thought I would share my puch in punch out method, though i like the option that the sequence lengthens as we record kept though.
By innovine Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am
bliprock wrote:I use footswitch and it is set to overdub+play and overdub. This setting means you can play a sequence and at any time i just tap go into recording mode of sequence and tap footswitch again to stop recording. This does not stop or start the sequence though, just the overdubbing so is a kool way to do it i think. just is a manual punch in and out but im good at it and can always remove or add notes after. So yeah set punch in and out would be kinda cool in sequencer. though i dont use the looper much so have no opinion either way, just thought I would share my puch in punch out method, though i like the option that the sequence lengthens as we record kept though.

This only applies to overdubbing though, right? No way to overwrite the previous take?
My problem is that I want to warm up a few bars in advance, and continue playing as I go into record. Listening to the click and then starting recording seems to result in a lot of unacceptable starts.
By evil A Sulli Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:25 pm
le rat wrote:
ie using AT as a looper.

Yes exactly. I was indirectly refering to the LOOP ON/OFF behavior with audiotracks.
Unfortunately specifications changed few years ago. For instance you can see that in the old bug list :

New & Change: New OS Ver4.50 23-Mar-2007
Change:
1. [AUDIO TRACK RECORDING]
  Processing of bar end.
 Sequence LOOP ON : Recording is stopped by END of a sequence.
 Sequence LOOP OFF: BAR is extended automatically and recording is continued.

OVER DUB + PLAY or START <=== Abolition.

Since then I think I keep on requesting limply this kind of old behavior.

What was the reason for removing this feature? So you don't record over your track by accident?
By le rat Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:25 pm
I was told that at this time JJ was implementing Grid Edit for audiotracks and because of a compatibility problem the new behavior was implemented.
By evil A Sulli Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:25 pm
le rat wrote:I was told that at this time JJ was implementing Grid Edit for audiotracks and because of a compatibility problem the new behavior was implemented.

JJ is working on grid edit for audio tracks now?