Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL

You like this?

70%
30%
By bliprock Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:40 am
m:t:c wrote:To me this sounds like a feature that is too complicated to do well. Think about all the variables it should take into account to reproduce the "audio" in your pad (layers, gpe etc.). Gained benefits(?) in workflow are in my opinion minimal.

I agree with bliprock here: resample! (first pad1, then pad2 and finally in trim mode combine these = success)

Exactly. If you use Simult Pad as well it removes a step to, making it faster. To make samples play after each other, instead of the same time, you just have to add silence in Trim Window to second sample. Easy
By Sooty_G Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:56 am
bliprock wrote:So you prefer to be here whinging for jj to hold your hand instead of doing some work. seriously :shock:

you ever use a lawnmower? how lazy of you! why don't you get down on your knees with a straight razor & cut each piece of grass individually instead of letting some machine do all the work for you?

ever drive a car, take a bus, or ride a bike to get somewhere? pretty pathetic when your own two feet will get you from place to place just fine. :roll:

choosing samples to layer & combine, setting their pitch, getting all the filters and eq just right... this is all CREATIVE work that only a human can do. you couldn't describe to a computer how to do this because you couldn't explain to a machine all the millions of different things that make up your own personal taste. you learn new things every time you go to make a beat because every time you do it is different. i am more than willing to spend time doing this 'work'.

...but the simple act of combining 2 files into another file without changes, or compressing 3 layers into one layer exactly as they are... these are simple, repetitive, non-creative acts that can be described in a basic mathematical formula: "add A to B". there is no discovery or learning here, just manual labor. you already know what the end result is going to be before you perform the action. this is exactly the kind of boring, repetitive work that computers were designed to do. no different than using a calculator to solve a math problem instead of writing it all out on a paper and solving it longhand. you're just eliminating all the boring, non-creative sh!t. the JJ OS is full of time saving stuff like this. using it doesn't mean you're lazy, it means you're smart.

if you're such a fan of repetitive manual labor, then don't worry about this request. if and when JJ implements this feature, nobody is forcing you to use it. you can continue to waste your time doing things the older & slower way if you like. have fun adding silence to the beginning of a file just so that you can merge 2 samples sequentially. :lol:

i mean, c'mon man - how hardcore do you want to get about this? why are you even using an MPC when you could learn to play the drums yourself? and when your done with that why don't you record your stuff on reel to reel tape and edit your tracks with a razor blade and tape like they used to back in the day?

m:t:c wrote:To me this sounds like a feature that is too complicated to do well. Think about all the variables it should take into account to reproduce the "audio" in your pad (layers, gpe etc.).

nothing complicated at all: create a new file identical to how it would sound if you resampled your output and trimmed it down. it takes into account all the settings in GPE.
By bliprock Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 am
I am not advocating tape, or more work. Obviously if you are gonna do this to a hundred samples, god knows why like, then scripted batch processing is the way on your computer. I do not use a computer at all in the music i make, and so even though i do not have this option i do not feel in any way that its too much work if i have to resample a few times. You can use shift + all in the Program window and use this to change the LFO, Filter, Amp parameters of multiple samples at the same time, that have been set up on simult play. This would help you save time as well. OR use the sequncer and record main out. Thats what i would do. I would be very surprised if it was more that a dozen samples anyways.
By evil A Sulli Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 pm
Sooty_G wrote:
you ever use a lawnmower? how lazy of you! why don't you get down on your knees with a straight razor & cut each piece of grass individually instead of letting some machine do all the work for you?

Hehe, Good ole internet humor. Me so lazy! So much potential with this request.
By sally Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 pm
I will explain to you:

you know the essence of the functionality of jjchop2?
I expect your reply as a yes. (ok).

Now imagine in the mpc.
- You chop a sample jazz drummer (with a lot of swing), selecting all the different strokes,
remember, we want to extract and capture the same swing with different sounds = jjchop2 (in which I can say that I worked on it, only a bit )
- Assign the chops on the pads consecutively (imagine 8 chops, for example)

now we have a chop on each pad. ( pad1-pad8 assigned )

now, assign an appropriate sample as a Layer * on each pad
- if snare> put another snare sound diferent.
- if we have a ride on the pad 7> we put a different sound ride (as a Layer in pad 7)
so, the corresponding layers for each pad.

imagine,
the pad 7 now has:
- layer 1: ride -------------------(100 volume)
* layer 2: rideX------------------(100 volume)

Now imagine, in each pad, adjust all the layer 1 of each pad, volume to 00.
result:
layer 1: ride -------------------( 00 volume)
layer 2: rideX------------------(100 volume)

Now, go to trim mode, combine A + B PAD

and combine pad 1 + pad 2 = sample 9* [* the result, assign it to pad 9] (**now, we use this result, combined with the pad 3) [combine pad 9 + pad 3 = sample 10* to assign to pad 10]

combine pad 10 + pad 4 = sample 11* to assign to pad 11

** in this point, jj could implement some condition or not. (for example
length for layers 2-3 per pad [equal to or less than their own layer 1, for each pad, of course]

note: the heart of many users of this and other forums & Companys is moved more quickly now. :wink:

a great memory!

thanks for all your atention.