Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By B.A. Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 pm
Feature Request: Add ability COPY and PASTE numeric value for sample START and END points in trim mode.

For example, when I'm working with chops and I want to have the end point of CHOP 1 to be the same value as the start point of CHOP 2, I have to remember what the sample end value is for CHOP1 and use buttons 0-9 and enter to enter it in for the sample start value for CHOP 2, sometimes the value can be a long number and hard to remember (mpc1000 users they have to use the scroll wheel to so set the value which takes even longer and you might even need to ZOOM in and out to get it right). It would be useful to have some kind of way where we could press a button (or combination of buttons) while a start or end point is highlighted, copy it, move to other value, press corresponding pad for the chop and paste the copied value. This way there is no need to remember a long number (possibly remembering it incorrectly), use buttons to type in or zoom and use wheel to scroll to enter the number; it would make it faster with less chance of error. What do you guys think?
Last edited by B.A. on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By B.A. Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 pm
It could be similar to pressing and holding UNDO in program mode to copy one pad to another or to copy individual settings from one pad to another. I just think there should be an easy way to copy and paste the numeric values for sample start/end points from one chop to another in TRIM mode. Or is something like this already there and I just don't know about it?
By bliprock Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:20 am
yeah this has been discussed before. With NDC you would not have this problem, and you can still make a program or ectract from the NDC. NDC will behave just the way you want it to. Meaning that the end point of a chop is also start point for the next chop, so that solves your problem. Is there a reason you are not using the NDC for this??
By B.A. Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 am
bliprock wrote:yeah this has been discussed before. With NDC you would not have this problem, and you can still make a program or ectract from the NDC. NDC will behave just the way you want it to. Meaning that the end point of a chop is also start point for the next chop, so that solves your problem. Is there a reason you are not using the NDC for this??

Maybe I dont fully undrestand how NDC works then because I always work with NDC and that's where I would be using the feature I'm requesting. When there's a sample and I turn on NDC it automatically sets up chops and assigns them to pads but from there, if I start changing start/end points for a chop, the end point is not going to match up with the start point for next chop so that's where having a quick way to copy/paste would be useful instead of using the wheel or using the number buttons to set your start/end points. Or am I having another one of my moments where I've totally been doing something the hard way?

I'm not talking so much about chopping breaks where I'm chopping one drum sound right after another but more so when working with a long sample where I might get a kick and snare here and move some where else in the sample and get some kind of hit and then there is some instrument part later in the sample that I just want to chop up and put it on a few pads. That's where the feature comes in. Say by now I'm on chop 6 and I set start/end points to get just the first part of that instument sample, ok now I got to chop 7, when I press the pad for chop 7 the start/end points are way back at the beginning of this long sample so I have to use the scroll wheel to get the start point of chop 7 to be where chop 6 ended and then set the new end point for chop 7. Now I move on to chop 8, I hit the pad for chop 8 and the start end points are way back in the sample again so I have to repeat the process. So a copy/paste would make it much faster, just copy one chops end point to the next chops start point, then just set new end point for that chop and your done. I'm I still not getting it? Please let me know If I've been doing it the hard way.
By B.A. Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 am
deleted double post, my bad...
Last edited by B.A. on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bliprock Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 am
you double posted. My bad before, I thought NDC would be best way for you.
I see what your trying to do, and I suggest you use normal chop to make chops line up after each other. In your case I think normal chop maybe better. So turn on chop and make chops like you want, except this time ignore PAD number for now, just make the chops. Do them in sequential order. So chop one might go on to pad 8 later, but for now you are just getting your chops right. If you do the chop points sequentially it will do what you want, so chops will not be even, andt they will not overlap so if your chops that you want overlap then you have to extract, if they do not overlap you are fine.
If you hit pads in trim mode and chop is on it does not play different chop. unless you have made a program already, which i recommend you do not do till later. So no program just get those chop points where you want and ignore what pad its gonna go on. So dont think that chop 8 is going on pad 8.
So in your example you say
B.A. wrote: Say by now I'm on chop 6 and I set start/end points to get just the first part of that instument sample, ok now I got to chop 7, when I press the pad for chop 7 the start/end points are way back at the beginning of this long sample so I have to use the scroll wheel to get the start point of chop 7 to be where chop 6 ended and then set the new end point for chop 7. Now I move on to chop 8, I hit the pad for chop 8 and the start end points are way back in the sample again so I have to repeat the process. So a copy/paste would make it much faster, just copy one chops end point to the next chops start point, then just set new end point for that chop and your done. I'm I still not getting it? Please let me know If I've been doing it the hard way. Thanks in advance.
You assume that chop 8 has to go on pad 8, and it does not have to at all. So if you get every chop start point lined up and then assign it to pads in different oder. You can auto it and then change sample assign or do it manually.
This way you get start/end points lining up. If you put in a few extra chops it will help as you wont assign them but it will help act like a buffer and stop next chop overs start point changing. So extra chops to help in trim and do not think that chop 8 has to go on pad 8. you could say use chop 6 on pad 1, then chop 8 on pad 2 ect.
By B.A. Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 am
Ok, I see what you're saying and yeah I think that normal chop would pretty much do what I want except that when I'm working with samples that overlap I'd have to extract and I can't press pads to go through the different chops (I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too), but for the most part it's cool. I've just gotten so use to working in NDC that I never really touch normal chop anymore but it can still be useful in certain cases like the example I posted. Thanks