Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By bliprock Tue May 29, 2012 6:14 pm
I want to put it out there, as I have thought that it would be useful. Also it would be not much different from compressor all ready available in realtime. So the MPC can see dB and compress, so I am thinking it can then do opposite and gate. ie if dB goes below threshold it will attenuate down in dB in realtime over a set gate time.... Its not really same as compressor and in some cases the amp envelope LFO option is not same as it does not respond to hits, it has fixed time. I mean not expander / gate, just gate. Also very helpful for recording noisy sources, as a gate would gate the noise under set dB and only let what you want through. Thoughts people??
By Bugfix Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 pm
Seriously, I was thinking about it today or yesterday.. as an realatime effect,or just upgrade compressor effect with gate, yup
By bliprock Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 pm
Bugfix wrote:Seriously, I was thinking about it today or yesterday.. as an realatime effect,or just upgrade compressor effect with gate, yup
we must be on the same wavelength at that time :lol: Yeah its a half the compressor function reversed kinda, similar in trigger sample record mode when signal goes over threshold it starts recording. the question is can the OS be programed to attenuate signal to zero after the signal goes under threshold. Also would love to have the Atck and Dky time options for gate just like the compressor. All I am saying is that it seems perfectly reasonable if most of the programming is done all ready and it just needs a little rewrite to make it function as a gate. If it did, in realtime it would be the most useful effect that we can all use.
By Sooty_G Wed May 30, 2012 4:55 am
gate is boring without ability to trigger it with a sidechain. if this request includes that feature then i am down.

but truthfully, this is an old request from years ago. people have requested improvements to the existing fx or entirely new fx in the past and nothing ever came of it. in fact the one thing JJ has never touched in the os is the fx. they're still the same from the akai days. i don't know if he really has the programming chops to alter or improve that code to be honest.
By Bugfix Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 am
bliprock wrote:we must be on the same wavelength at that time :lol: .

yeah, we are very far away so this must be the reason. This is old request, but now he's adding things so it's worth a try, I liked listening to a radio through gate.. just bass, vocals, kick and snare LOL
By bliprock Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 pm
Sidechain i something I wont say no to, but thought that its enough just to get a gate. Side chain means that another channel would have to trigger gate then instead of source, and no effect acts like that now, two different sources just get summed through the FX instead of split into two separate channels to feed effect and side chain..if that makes sense. So i assumed that that would not be really a good request as it is a whole new ball park as apposed to just tweaking something to make changes.So gate side chain is a whole nother step so have no idea what to expect. I expect that we will have to just wait and see and then we will know :?:
By innovine Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm
Sooty_G wrote:the fx. they're still the same from the akai days. i don't know if he really has the programming chops to alter or improve that code to be honest.

I would guess that lots of the sound processing algorithms are done in a DSP hardware chip, which may not be possible to alter..?

bliprock wrote:Side chain means that another channel would have to trigger gate then instead of source, and no effect acts like that now, two different sources just get summed through the FX instead of split into two separate channels to feed effect and side chain..if that makes sense.:

You could have a mono compressor/gate, left side is the audible signal, and the right side the sidechain signal. I'm not sure if you could pan one output of an fx back to center or not though.
By bliprock Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm
innovine wrote:You could have a mono compressor/gate, left side is the audible signal, and the right side the sidechain signal. I'm not sure if you could pan one output of an fx back to center or not though.

Yeah I considered that to but wanted to keep it simple, so didnt mention that idea.
You can trick a gate though, to respond to a sound that is very very quick but over threshold and usually high or low in frequency range so then it can be filtered out of the result. Follow me? So its like a invisible trigger, almost like a ghost note, but not like ghost note, which is usually lower velocity, this is usually high velocity but invisible after a filter. Thats what i do anyways and you can try it if you have a gate