Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By le rat Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 am
Hi,

Could someone check quickly if it's a bug or not please? We're at the end of the month.

Background : building a two bar loop and make it fit nice at the right BPM in main screen.

- I put my sample on an audio track. Works nice

- I go in TRIM, set LOOP ON, LOOP points are ST and END points. IN GPE I set it to NOTE ON, check the ADSR and so on.
=> When I record in MAIN I hear a decay at the end.

-If I set LOOP OFF for this sample and press PLAY. Works nice like the audiotrack.

Do you think that's normal? I checked what came to my mind to eliminate user error but I'm not sure. I don't use note-on play mode much.

Thx
By Funkydrops Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:36 am
Not sure if I got it right.

I never managed to play a 'one-shot' sample that has been arranged as a perfect loop and make it fit perfectly a drum track.

I think it's 'per design' and it makes sense, since you are firing 'one-shot' samples. Switching the play mode to 'note-on' works fine. That's what the loops are for.

I usually turn off the loop on ALL samples as soon as I cut them right in trim screen, for the exact same reason: make them sit nicely on the bpm.

PEACE
By le rat Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 am
I think it's a limitation "per design" too. I will ask for confirmation.

Usually I was doing the contrary. First my loop in trim mode, then adjusting tempo in main. Generally, it is recommended, to adjust inside the MPC indeed.

But this time I did the contrary. I started with a sample I put in an audiotrack. It was working fine till I decided to set loop on and record as note-on.

I think it's very easy to notice this behavior.

-take a sample that loops perfectly at a given bpm and record it.
-go in trim mode, set loop on with the same start and end points.
-press play and switch loop on/off and pay attention to the moment the sequence loops.

For me it sounds like a decay. Probably added automatically.
By Funkydrops Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm
le rat wrote:
For me it sounds like a decay. Probably added automatically.

As the one-shoot is being re-triggered the MPC has to:

-play the one-shoot from the beginning as per MIDI note on 1.01.00
-play the same sample from the beginning due to the loop settings

It sounds like this is somehow conflicting, the decay being added is a random side-effect of a computational error, IMHO.

PEACE
By le rat Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 pm
Thanks for your input.

I tried to reproduce it with another sample but that didn't work. It's maybe specific to the project I'm currently working on. Or user error I don't know. Hard to find what's wrong.

I will send the project to JJ and ask for feedback.
By le rat Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:25 am
Finally, it was not related to decay or release.

Just a gap in timing. I'm not sure but I guess it's because of the sequencer resolution or the weak abilities of the MPC.

Here is the mathematical explanation :
sequence time = 120/87.9*4sec(2bar) =5.460sec
sample time = 241063/44100(1sec) =5.466sec
There was a 6msec gap that was audible when LOOP was ON, not when it was set to OFF. It's difficult to make both timing match.

So the best way is to keep using the traditional workflow. To make loop it first in TRIM and then adjust BPM in MAIN.

PEace