The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By mechizadek Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:02 pm
Just thinking, has anyone gotten down on the idea of printing out custom mpc-parts (in my case buttons) to avoid having to shell out top dollar to mpc parts??? I found this site i.materialise.com and it got me thinking, as I don't yet have my hands on a 3D printer, why not see how much it costs to make my own lil 3D model and have them print it for me. That brings me to the next task, 3D modeling a mpc 2000xl!!!
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:10 am
Interesting site, would need the 3D files made up to get a price though, so unless you know how to use 3d software, you'll also be paying for that on top of immaterialize's manufacturing fees. I don't think it will work out in any way cheap, but certainly an opportunity to create something unique.
By Téhu Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm
Old post, but 3D printing is still in the air!
I made a couple of clone of MPC parts with my 3D printer, and the result are very satisfying!
Actually they are in PLA, and they are very easily breakable, but i improved the design and they works very well!

By richie Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am
One has to wonder why Akai didn't think of his design modification in the first place. Good sh*t man.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am
Dope work man :smoker:

ngyagi wrote:How long do you think they'll hold up?

+1 on this question too
By Téhu Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 pm
Thanks, material is PLA, a very rigid/easily breakable plastic, i'll make test with ABS that got better flex properties. i'll keep you posted, the ABS is arriving soon.
By Téhu Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm
I must admit, that almost every switch have something broken (Pin, support) because of the 4-5 itterations I make during the devellopment process and the easily breakable material that i got now, i'm not ready to ''release'' them for now, but when the lid is on, they work perfectly, i just make a live set yesterday with them! With ABS, i'm hoping to have better strenght/flex!
So I think with the right materal/design, they could be as tough as the OGs.

By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:37 pm
Hopefully the ABS works like a dream Téhu. If it does work and they hold up like OG buttons, will you be complete custom colour replacement button sets for different MPC's or just one off buttons on request?
By Téhu Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm
The 3D printing process is very long (Small switch: 30min, Medium :50m, Big 1h20 to print each), so I don't think selling full set, but I don't know for now! I don't have many color right now, i'll improve in the future. But I think this will be good for a ''Local'' sourcing and fast repair needs! The second printer is on the way, so this will cut the cost by half! I'll keep you posted!
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:02 pm
Téhu wrote:The 3D printing process is very long (Small switch: 30min, Medium :50m, Big 1h20 to print each), so I don't think selling full set, but I don't know for now! I don't have many color right now, i'll improve in the future. But I think this will be good for a ''Local'' sourcing and fast repair needs! The second printer is on the way, so this will cut the cost by half! I'll keep you posted!

Whoa that is a very long time proceed to 3D print a button, probably too time consuming to 3D print a full set even with a second printer. Definitely would agree that it would be good for for sourcing an odd button here and there or fast repair needs. Looking forward to seeing how the ABS buttons pan out, the 2500 is looking nice tho.
By Ill-Green Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm
ABS is the strongest plastic. I don't know if you can use it on a 3D printer, ABS have to be injected inside a mold and takes a few minutes for the liquid to turn solid. Best to make a mold out of silicone of the buttons then pour a stronger resin in it to make them, cuts 3D printing time by 2/3.
By Ill-Green Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:51 pm
I researched 3D printers and some do ABS but the machine must be ABS compatible.

To what I mean above, if you make a silicone mold containing 20 tactile button molds, you can produce a bunch at a time using 65D graded resin, which is strong as ABS.
By Téhu Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:00 pm
My machine actually do ABS printing and i got the roll, I just have to test it. I know that mold is better for mass production, but it's not my goal! I want to make custom solutions and i'm just at the begining.
My machine also do ''Ninja Flex'' material, that feels like rubber. in the futur i'll try the pads just for fun and try to improve the original design.
The problem with mold, is that improvements are difficult, with printing we can try almost everything.