Read the forum guidelines and post all your comments, questions and suggestions about MPC-Forums.com
By BRAVO Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:13 pm
I know I aint alone on this one. I think the main reason behind questions being asked over and over is because the search function is not being used in the right way(s)

How it all starts.............

People (Newbs) are put off by the huge number of returned results....Get pissssed cos they get a heap of dead leads...So they flood the forums with sob stories about needing help on a question. Often they say they tried or did a search blah blah and still couldn't find any answer

Then....They end up getting ignored, cos regulars know the search function works and get pissssed cos they have seen that same question pop up time and time again.

Its a bit of a vicious circle really.....Thats why I say a user guide on how to use the search function should be provided in in room

By binger0 Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:15 pm
maybe if u could put better instructions in the search page. Like the + example i give people

if u want to find out midi setup u would go
midi + setup

if that was in there i think it would be much more helpful.

By binger0 Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:16 pm
i see there is the and and or ish in there, but maybe just give some examples.

By Lampdog Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:42 pm
One of you guys write it up and send it to me via PM and I'll make a sticky of it, make sure it's detailed to the core and try to leave no stone unturned and I'll take it from there. I do feel what you guys are feeling though.

I'm VERY annoyed by it but it's not an Admin control issues, it's a "lack of knowledge of the search function" issue for newbies as you two have stated.

By dubmunkey Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:16 pm
although it works its not airtight- may be me but i often can only remember a specific part of a post- type that in say "jonny rabb" something i know wont appear in more than say 5-10 posts but still get all sorts of dreck with no mention of the keyword....a sticky would be good but the engine could be a little tighter on specific keywords

greg

By MPC-Tutor Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:31 pm
dubmunkey wrote:although it works its not airtight- may be me but i often can only remember a specific part of a post- type that in say "jonny rabb" something i know wont appear in more than say 5-10 posts but still get all sorts of dreck with no mention of the keyword....a sticky would be good but the engine could be a little tighter on specific keywords

greg

the engine is fine, it's the people using it that need to be a little tighter :lol: - just search for 'jonny AND rabb' (i.e. put the AND in between the two words) and it will only present threads where the exact phrase 'jonny rabb' appears

I just did it and the only thread that came up was this one.

By MPC-Tutor Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:34 pm
Taking it further, I searched for this

present AND threads AND where

And only this thread came up. But search for

present threads where

and you get 477 results. You just need to put 'AND' and 'OR' in and you'll find exaclty what you are looking for.

By dubmunkey Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:08 pm
slaps forhead- you're dead right- nice one mate- sorted...

greg

By Smoove03 Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:26 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Taking it further, I searched for this

present AND threads AND where

And only this thread came up. But search for

present threads where

and you get 477 results. You just need to put 'AND' and 'OR' in and you'll find exaclty what you are looking for.

tutor, you just made me tighter! :D thanks

By Krux Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:06 pm
If you want to stop people from asking these questions why not;
1) Set a 'cool-off' period on new user registrations
And/Or
2) Make the forums viewable to those that aren't registered members

These may not be feasible options for reasons unknown to me, but Tutor should be able to answer this. But I think it would reduce the amount of these 'newb' questions being posted in the forums.

By grimaybeats555 Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:21 am
Or watching that before you post video could be manual before your registration is complete. They still wouldn't prolly listen to that and come on here with a question like. "I know I want a mpc what kind of piano sounds does it come with?" or " I bought a mpc where does the sound come out?" If I were to do a search and pm one of the monitors all the fantom vs. motif vs. triton threads would you sticky it. Maybe somebody else could do the mpc versus threads. :?