Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By agitprop Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:54 pm
I am on a 3000LE, running Vailixi 3.50. YMMV on a non-Vailixi machine.

For users who have been having trouble with RS-16x PGM files on the MPC3000, I have discovered something: RS does not format the the PGM and SND file structure correctly for my 3000. The problem is the creation of a folder for the SND files.

The user can fix this themselves by using RS to create an MPC3000 Program with up to 64 Sounds, then using the Mac Finder to open the folder RS creates and moving the Sounds up to the top disk level where the .PGM file is. The user can then delete the folder that the Sounds were in.

The MPC3000 will now recognize the PGM and all of the SND files perfectly--and RS-16x does a fantastic job of converting WAV files to SND format, so it is very useful!

I am now trying to figure out why SEQ files created in RS-16x do not load on my MPC3000. If I solve that issue, I will share the fix.
By Clint Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:56 pm
I'm not a user of RS-16X, but considering how many people are, and how long the program has been available, I've never heard of any such 'problems' as you describe. If this is a problem, is the developer Seishu/SS Works aware?

Can any other RS-16X users shed some light on this issue either way?
By Shostakovich Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:29 pm
I got RS-16 and used it a few times but I've just gone back to sampling straight into the machine. I found the whole RS process a little convoluted and didn't really save that much time. You still need to assign outputs etc and that i feel is one of the longest process when it comes to the prep.
By 3K. Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 pm
The whole RS workflow is utterly cumbersome, compared to the simplicity of the machine itself or the free MPC Editor (which runs all of its features perfectly on a Mac using WINE).
By Dustyfinga1.0 Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:02 am
Shostakovich wrote:I got RS-16 and used it a few times but I've just gone back to sampling straight into the machine.
:nod: Hell yeah. 3000s' sound so good and are so easy to create pgms. IMO, I don't know why people need pgm editing software anyhow. Before I owned a 3K, I had this elaborate set up using a S1100 with RECYCLE to chop then export to MPC Editor and create pgms; what a total waste of time that was. Once I got a 3K I just practiced sampling/chopping by ear and creating pgms quickly which really helped me understand how and why the 3k is the best MPC ever. Enjoy your LE.