Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By 3K. Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:28 am
Did a search before posting this and it turned out, that this has been asked before, but, alas, not really well answered.

As per idea, Convert 2 Sequence converts a Song into a Sequence, respecting each Sequence's Track statuses. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't. The first Sequence in your Song specifies all Track settings for all converted Sequences. That's hardly useful. You're left with either creating an abundance of Sequences containing all the little edits that cater for a smooth transition from Sequence to Sequence, or painstakingly recreate your Track settings with micro-editing all your events in Step Edit, or group like-wise Sequences (ie. 2x SEQ3, 3x SEQ4 and so on) into larger Sequences via Convert 2 Sequence and edit these larger Sequences to combine those again in Song mode. Ugh :vomit:

Any of these approaches are real pains in the neck, whereas the last seems to be the rather sane one. Unless this is it, I'd be happy to hear your more elaborate approaches while working in the box only. I'm not interested in importing my whole Song into and keep it in any DAW, but if it's for editing purposes only and re-importing all of it back into the 3000, I'd be interested to learn your methods … :hmmm:

Tx, 3K (on a 3000 w/ Vailixi 3.5)
By dshook Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:31 pm
That's it - that's how it's supposed to work - read the manual. I would recommend the "make a lot of tiny sequences (including ones with an intro or a break etc) and join them" method as you can then stay in song mode and experiment until you like the arrangement, then print it to a sequence and edit further if you need to.
By fooddude Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:44 pm
Yes, that's how it works.

You have to fine-edit everything and also have to fill/copy/paste empty tracks into all of the unused "off" tracks per seq and turn them all "on." Takes much longer than a DAW, where you can just select/highlight all the unused/off tracks and hit the delete button in less than second. But, that's life with the MPC as your main/only centerpiece/sequencer.
By 3K. Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:56 pm
Yes, that's how it works!

Here's how it works out OK: Compose your track using ONE sequence and as many tracks in it, covering all parts of your composition. Create as much sequences as needed at first, each sequence featuring active or inactive tracks representing all parts of your final song. Arrange/repeat them as per your idea in song mode. When you're done and happy with it, activate all inactive tracks in each sequence you've used in song mode and delete all their events. These tracks need to be active but empty, in order for Convert 2 Sequence to convert properly. Re-check if all else runs as expected. It's good practice to save every so often after some editing has been done and keep variations, unless you notate manually on paper as a backup. I do both (to some extent), you never know. Finally, convert that song and enter the world of three digits bar count sequence editing …