Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Xandre Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 am
I have a simple question, feels kinda silly, but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

How do I load .wav file samples (drum hits) into my MPC 3000?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit O.S., so I can't use MPC Editor (not compatible). I have an external SCSI Zip drive connected to my 3000.

I've tried SAMPLING the .wavs by lining them up in my DAW (Cubase) w/ a cable running from PC AUDIO OUT to MPC RECORD IN... I hear the sample but I can't record it because the MPC doesn't seem to hear it... Any help on this?

Would prefer to load them from Zip, if possible.

Main question: is it possible to load .wavs into MPC 3K or am I better off just sampling them? If sampling is the only/best option, how do you set that up?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions!
By JAYCEE3K Tue May 24, 2016 11:21 pm
Just use the sampler. Always. As a rule.

Forget about trying to use extra software & steps to convert .wav files into .snd files for your 3k. Just...forget it.

Reason why it seem the machine isn't picking up the audio you're running from the PC might have to do with your cables and whether you using TRS or TS on the record inputs.
By Xandre Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 pm
vout wrote:Use wavsnd from http://www.mpc3000.com/wavsnd.htm to convert your wav files to MPC3000 snd files

I could do that, but how would I get the snd files onto the Zip disk? DIsk has to be MPC 3000 formatted to take the snd files, right, but then if I connected that formatted disk into a Zip drive connected to my computer, to grab the files, it would not work...
Last edited by Xandre on Wed May 25, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Xandre Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 pm
JAYCEE3K wrote:Just use the sampler. Always. As a rule.

Forget about trying to use extra software & steps to convert .wav files into .snd files for your 3k. Just...forget it.

Reason why it seem the machine isn't picking up the audio you're running from the PC might have to do with your cables and whether you using TRS or TS on the record inputs.

Yeah, I'm tired of trying these third-party softwares and extra steps. It shouldn't be so complicated, takes too long, etc.

Ok, so the cable should be TRS, right?
By davehate Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 am
Honestly the fastest method of getting files onto a 3k in my option is using another mpc.

I have a 2500 connected via usb to my comp...I edit/save and import all files in wav into my 2500 via usb..I then have my headphone out (y splitter single 1/4" to double 1/4") running into my record in on 3000 ... I set threshold to 2 and as I trigger sample on 2500 it records into my 3000 and I assign. For chopping I do same thing.. I chop on 2500 and set record time to 1-2 seconds depending on length of chop and I record and assign each chop .

Takes about 20 seconds for me to chop record and assign 16 pads on my 3k using this method..speeds up workflow and I can save program to disk on 3k afterwards so I don't ever have to do again(I archive my drum breaks /kits this way each to own disk)

I'm basically utilizing the power of the 2500 to do all the heavy work and the 3k gets the fun part.
By JAYCEE3K Thu May 26, 2016 7:16 pm
Xandre wrote:
JAYCEE3K wrote:Just use the sampler. Always. As a rule.

Yeah, I'm tired of trying these third-party softwares and extra steps. It shouldn't be so complicated, takes too long, etc.

Ok, so the cable should be TRS, right?

Nah the record inputs (left and right) on the MPC is expecting a TS. The source the signal is coming from can be TRS, but depends on the source you coming out from. Not matter how you come out, just make sure it ends with the TS in the record inputs at least. If the volume is still low, check the switch in the back also.
By Stoney79 Fri May 27, 2016 1:51 pm
- More likely you're having phasing issues with the audio you are trying to record into your 3000. If your sending the audio signal out of your computer and trying to record it into your 3000, and using the same signal path to monitor the DA to AD conversion you're getting audio phase cancellation. Will sound extremely nasty when you turn the record gain up. Your best bet is to keep all your audio cables TRS ( tip ring sleeve). The problem is when you use a unbalance cable to a balanced source, not the other way around. Plus unbalanced cables have a certain amount of length before signal deteriorates. Best bet would be to monitor the output of the 3000 through a different monitor source, or just turn the main volume on your 3000 all the way down and visually look at the volume in the sample record mode on the 3000 as you turn the record gain knob up. Good luck.
By Wal Martian Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 pm
JAYCEE3K wrote: the record inputs (left and right) on the MPC is expecting a TS. The source the signal is coming from can be TRS, but depends on the source you coming out from. Not matter how you come out, just make sure it ends with the TS in the record inputs at least...

I don't think that's right. AFAIK the MPC3000 has balanced TRS inputs

mpc3000 wrote:Here's the proof:

For those of you that actually `build` MPC's, you will recognize the above pic of the ad/da board of the MPC3000. On the left are the main outs and on the right are the record inputs. You will note that on the REC INPUT uses the required 3 connection balance as noted by the 1, 2, 3. We all know that balancing requires 3 connections. On the left you will note that even though there are 3 connections on the jack as noted by the large circle, but one of the three is not connected as shown in the small circle. You cannot run a balanced line using only 2 connections.

These particular jacks are very common and Akai has used them on everything since the S900.
By Wal Martian Fri May 27, 2016 8:02 pm
Xandre wrote:
vout wrote:Use wavsnd from http://www.mpc3000.com/wavsnd.htm to convert your wav files to MPC3000 snd files

I could do that, but how would I get the snd files onto the Zip disk? DIsk has to be MPC 3000 formatted to take the snd files, right, but then if I connected that formatted disk into a Zip drive connected to my computer, to grab the files, it would not work...

The MPC formats it FAT/FAT16 I believe, the PC should be able to read the zip.
By Lampdog Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 am
FAT is correct.

The first 8 bits are normal FAT, cool. 9-16 bits are some Akai proprietery something something
and THIS is why we all have problems naming higher than 8 characters when going to pc with
our mpc formatted media.
By JAYCEE3K Sat May 28, 2016 5:14 am
Wal Martian wrote:
JAYCEE3K wrote: the record inputs (left and right) on the MPC is expecting a TS. The source the signal is coming from can be TRS, but depends on the source you coming out from. Not matter how you come out, just make sure it ends with the TS in the record inputs at least...

I don't think that's right. AFAIK the MPC3000 has balanced TRS inputs

mpc3000 wrote:Here's the proof:

For those of you that actually `build` MPC's, you will recognize the above pic of the ad/da board of the MPC3000. On the left are the main outs and on the right are the record inputs. You will note that on the REC INPUT uses the required 3 connection balance as noted by the 1, 2, 3. We all know that balancing requires 3 connections. On the left you will note that even though there are 3 connections on the jack as noted by the large circle, but one of the three is not connected as shown in the small circle. You cannot run a balanced line using only 2 connections.

These particular jacks are very common and Akai has used them on everything since the S900.

Interesting, I appreciate ya clarifying that. I been using unbalanced cables all this time.