Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ofmgk Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 am
Hello,
Looking for some assistance, I've tried referencing as many threads as possible here and have successfully installed an scsi2sd v5.0 in my MPC 3000 from older threads. I've almost always referenced this forum for installs, from Gotek and other scsi2sd, etc so not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Basically I think I'm having issues either:
-Supplying enough power to the scsi2sd
or
-Communication issue trying to get the scsi2sd device to be recognized.. Trying to be as detailed as possible--

So far I have:

-Formatted my 4GB SD Kingston Card (same card used in my 3K that works but did not require PC format)
-Updated firmware on scsi2sd device to current 4.8 OS
-Stratos PCBA MARION SCSI ADAPTER for MPC60
-SCSI INTERFACE REV 1.4 clone w/ rear fitting (new from France via ebay)
-scsi2sd v5.0 (inertialcomputing)
-MPC60 MKI w/ Vimana OS
-Tried numerous scsi2sd utility settings (see below)

Issue:
I cannot get the scsi2sd to communicate with the Marion board/adapter. The load screen recognizes the Marion board and searches for SCSI drive but cannot find it, and I've tried entering unique IDs during Format Drive/Check Status but I keep seeing the 'No device found' message.

My scsi2sd util settings on screen 1
All boxes are unchecked (tried enabling SCSI terminator but realized I didn't have the 5.1 board so have left it unchecked)
SCSI HOST SPEED- Slow (tried normal)
Startup Delay (seconds): 0 (tried max of 2 seconds)

Device 1-4 IDs in order: 0, 1, 2, 3
Device Type: I've left recommended to Hard Drive for the Emu settings posted on this forum but have also tried setting to Removable Device with no luck.
Sector size: Default 512
Device Size: I've made sure SD card start does not overlap, have reset to Auto on all pages after experimenting with Device Size. I've tried 100MB Device size, 32 MB, 1GB, each time updating card sector start so no overlap.

Every time I load/save from device from laptop, I see the blinking lights on the scsi2sd and have checked the logs so I know the bootloader is flashing properly and it is communicating fine with my Macbook, save completes fine... No luck in 'Searching for Drive'...

Other Issues/Questions:
The clone I purchased from eBay, the seller did not put the standard sized connector (see grey connector from photos) on the SCSI board. Because of his error, I had to purchase a separate 24-PIN Male-Female extension because I could not mount my MARION ADAPTER as recommended from their manual (his connector was too tall in height to allow the Stratos adapter to properly mount on top):

I am only powering the scsi2sd adapter from the 50pin cable for 5v (codesrc states this is fine) but is that not sufficient for the MPC 60? I have not seen the board light up once during MPC power up, so wondering if I would have solder something from the scsi2sd onto the PSU to supply more/direct 5v? I had the optional 2-Wire Molex connector installed on the scsi2sd board, then realized it was kind of pointless so I removed it from the board.

I'm confused on where else to supply 5V onto this board, as recommended from this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182741

Could the multicolor 24-pin extension be the culprit? Am I missing something here because I don't see how this could be this difficult or the connected boards still having issues communicating or whatever.. I haven't tried to swap out the scsi2sd PCBs between MPCs yet but I guess that's the last thing to try. Unfortunately aggravation and a lack of ganja have been holding me back from opening the other MPC but I'll do it if it's recommended..

I'd also like to take a moment to NOT recommend the seller from ebay, from France with a seller history of several years (not naming anyone but you can figure it out.) As I've had little to no communication from him (unless it was about an Offer Price, which he is very prompt with responding about) and because of his install error, I have literally no way of closing the MPC without adding stress onto other cables or parts of this board, as well as needing to now drop another $20+ on cables+shipping. The seller also assured me I would not need anything additional to make this work, besides the Stratos Marion SCSI adapter and his supplied cables, but obviously I needed to buy more to make this work.. Several other boards online, I would recommend looking elsewhere for anyone looking to purchase in the future. Not meant to 'flame' or start arguments with other owner's previously successful installs, just trying to save someone else the headache and aggravation of what I'm going through because it doesn't seem like this seller cares to even follow up with an apology or solution after receiving his payment.

Sorry for the short essay, appreciate anyone's time to read/help!!
By ofmgk Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:07 am
[SOLVED]

Okay, I was right it was a power issue. The previous post I read seemed more like a suggestion to use external 5v power source, so I didn't think the Molex was necessary but kept wondering if maybe the ribbon cable was good enough... blah blah, anyway I just took an old Power Adapter I didn't need anymore (wall wart), cut it to length from scsi2sd board to MPC60 PSU-- soldered both cables to where my Inverter jack used to be,( I ordered a replacement LCD from Kanamit that works perfectly so I removed my inverter a couple months ago), had the spot available for 5v for scsi2sd, powered MPC on and the indicator lights on the bottom finally lit up and I was able to format/partition my 4gb SD card. Huzzah.

So solution was that the board needed more power, I soldered 2 cables with Heat Shrink Tubing over to prevent arc'ing and cross connection (power cables were thicker so not as easy to tuck aside, would highly recommend shielding them if someone else does this to prevent shorts). Will follow up if I have any issues, only problem now is figuring out a better place to mount my Stratos Converter PCB but I think I might be able to get away with a longer 26-PIN extension and maybe velcro/wrap near where the inverter used to live. Just hope that I don't need to ground the Stratos card for some reason, because I noticed it had that grounding hole.. My 3k had the issue w noise in headphone output but I followed the thread on here to remedy and it's all good (insanely silent, wish I could get that from the 60).

Hope this helps someone else down the line who cannot figure out why their scsi2sd v5.0 is not powering in the MPC.