Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By mr drew Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:10 am
Yo what up guys, I just bought my first MPC (the 3000) off ebay, it's clean as hell and seems to be working great so far. There's one issue though after about an hour this loud hum can be heard coming from the machine (the case not headphone jack). The seller said the backlight would need to be replaced and it is fading. What are causes of hums from MPC 3000. So far i've found posts suggesting an inverter problem, backlight, or transformer. I'm not quite sure what each of these mean any help and alternate hypotheses are appreciated. Thanks!
By pieuvre Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 am
If it's a high frequency noise it's the inverter , if it's a low buzz , probably the main transformer ( especially if it happens after an hour , the inverter noise appears as soon as you turn the unit on ) .Maybe capacitors on tne PSU board .
By mr drew Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:48 pm
well the hum is definitely coming from the back right where the air vents are and where the mains transformer looks to be located. Any idea of the costs for fixing transformer issues?
By mpc3000le Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 pm
mr drew wrote:well the hum is definitely coming from the back right where the air vents are and where the mains transformer looks to be located. Any idea of the costs for fixing transformer issues?

Sounds like a transformer "motor vibration effect".

Transformer and other power supply components not bolted down correctly.

Rohan.
By mr drew Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 am
So i got some info back on my MPC the shop said they need to replace the transformer. They can order the part but I was wondering if anyone has had to do replace their transformer and what the cost was.
By Clutch_The_BeatMaker Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:39 pm
I know this is ok but I have the same issue. the backlight is dim and I get that constant hum although everything on mpc works. A the hum goes away if I turn off the backlight. I ordered a new backlight but My question is will it go away if I replace it and is it safe to replace it without fixing the transformer?
By Clint Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm
Clutch_The_BeatMaker wrote:the hum goes away if I turn off the backlight. I ordered a new backlight but My question is will it go away if I replace it and is it safe to replace it without fixing the transformer?

The noise may go away when you replace the backlight, if not the actual backlight inverter is the most likely source of your problem. Replace the transformer only if absolutely necessary, when all else fails. Some great info inverter knowledge in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162816
By Clutch_The_BeatMaker Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm
Clint wrote:
Clutch_The_BeatMaker wrote:the hum goes away if I turn off the backlight. I ordered a new backlight but My question is will it go away if I replace it and is it safe to replace it without fixing the transformer?

The noise may go away when you replace the backlight, if not the actual backlight inverter is the most likely source of your problem. Replace the transformer only if absolutely necessary, when all else fails. Some great info inverter knowledge in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162816

Thanks!
By Clint Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 pm
The person in that thread named "MisterWhite" is responsible for supplying most of us here with backlights for our MPC's and S series samplers. Naturally, he knows more than a thing or two about backlights and inverters.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 pm
:worthy: +1
MisterWhite is the way to go. Professional, good quality backlights. Just wanted to give him a big shout out, his product made me fall in love with my S900 all over again.