Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Byziegenh5 Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:31 am
Hi everyone,
Just picked up my first MPC.......the 3000. What do I need to get this thing going? I have no disks and no samples? Do I need a zip drive? If so, which one? Where do I find samples? Which are the best ones? I was a bit surprised that there are no sounds programed into the machine, not even a click. I'm dying to get this thing up and running. Thanks for all your help.
Sean

By pUs Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:47 am
The "best samples" (imo) are the ones which you find by yourself, used in a creative way. It might not be easy and it might not happen overnight, but I really recommend you to sample the sounds yourself. In time, you'll build up an original archive of sounds.

You'll only need two things to accomplish this with your 3000 - a lot of floppy disks and a lot of time. Lots and lots of old records is also a plus.. 8)

Of course, there are plenty of commercial disks available. But if you're not into sampling at all you might as well just use the 3000 as a sequencer together with some synths instead.

By homershines Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:25 pm
Zie;
A Zip drive is a great asset. It's not mandatory, but it speeds up things in a real way. You may also want an external SCSI hard drive too. 1 or 2 GB drive will be fine. You can find Zip drives and the SCSI drives on eBay, but if you check out the dealers of old Mac gear at www.lowendmac.com, you'll find a few folks who have everything that you need.

If you wanna get to trying some stuff out on the MPC, send me an email and I'll send you a demo of some MPC3000 samples. You'll need a 3.5 floppy disk, formatted on the MPC or in PC format.

Peace.