Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
Bybuckfiddy Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:17 pm
Yo MPC headz!

Just hooked my 3000 LE OS 3.11 up to my G3 Powerbook OS 9.2 & tried to dump Sounds from Recycle 2.0 via MIDI but no cigar!

All the MIDI conects are fine but Recycle can't find the MPC...

After a bit of research it works out Recycle isn't compatable with MPC's....the only way i can see round this is to buy an Akai S series sampler or other Recycle compatable sampler, connect to Recycle & transfer all the chops into this...then dump them into the MPC via MIDI from the sampler, then once the MPC's 32MB is full burn onto ZIP 100 via SCSI on my MPC...This is a major pain & very time consuming but if i can fill a couple of ZIP 100's full of drums & hits per session i can work from there?

Also i tried to sync the MPC to Cubase VST 5.1, making the MPC the Master & Cubase the slave but when i start the MPC the Cubase goes back to the precount before the 1st locator & even though Cubase is in cycle/loop mode it just plays right through! It also makes the BPM counter fluctuate 1 or 2 bpms as it plays...A problem i also have with my SP12 so i think it's to do with the swang...

Anybody out there any clues/tips/info on Mac MPC editor or a Sound conversion programme which will convert AIFF to .SND?

Anybody out there got any info on the Cubase scenario?

Peace
Buck

By homershines Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:00 am
There are two choices.

MPC3000 Convertor - a freebie utility that will convert the AIFF files to SND so the MPC can read them

or

MPCPGMMaker - $20 to $30 which will convert AIFF or WAV files to SND as well as create MPC ready programs from the computer saving some time.

I can't find the websites right now, but do a search here or go to www.midicase.com for more info.

Peace.

Bybuckfiddy Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:21 pm
Thanks bro!

I downloaded the MPC PGM MAKER & it looks like i'll have to buy a USB Zip drive for my powerbook to save them onto & transfer them into the MPC 3000...I hope there isn't a difference between fomatting a Zip disk for Mac OS 9.2 & MPC...any issues i should know about before gettin' any deeper?

peace
buck

By homershines Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:19 pm
Yeah.
First, if you don't have one, you'll need a SCSI Zip drive for your MPC.
After that, never use your Master MPC Zip disk in your Mac. Master disk is the disk that you use to archive all of your stuff. Use separate disks for that task of going back and forth fromMac to MPC and vice versa.

Get plenty of Zip disks and label them for their particular purpose and only use them for that. Do a search here for more details about this. I know I have written about it a couple of times.

Peace.

By monogee Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:11 am
Regarding the MpcPgmMaker. How do you format the disk when using the program. Do you format them on the computer or on the Mpc3000? I find when I transfer sounds from my Mac(OS X) on to an MPC3000 formatted disk, when I put the disk back in the MPC3000, I always get an error. Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks.