Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By TSR Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:51 am
I just got a CHINON FZ-357 (Made in Japan) floppy drive installed in the MPC60.
Besides setting DS to 0 by jumper, it works perfectly out of the box with DD floppies.

This floppy drive was often installed in AMIGA computers.

This thing cost me 1 Euro = 1,35 US $

TSR
Last edited by TSR on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TSR Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:37 pm
I also tested 2 other drives:

CHINON 357-A (Made in Japan): Works flawless!

CHINON FX-354 (Made in Japan): Receive the "Floppy not ready" message.
Could be the pin 34 issue, since it's an Amiga drive.

TSR
By ttolleson Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:06 pm
Just got the FZ-357 (which will be quickly replaced once the OS upgrade arrives).
Problem with the FZ-357 is that the DD disks keep showing up as write-protected no matter how I set the tab on the diskette. Might be the jumper settings. I BELIEVE I set it it properly to DS0 but I've found conflicting information online. I'm hoping to trust the Assyrian wall-carving on the back of the disk (seen in the photo below). I'm unfamiliar with these jumper pieces so that could be it too! :oops:

By Clint Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm
Looking at the pic I can clearly see that you have 1 or 2 jumpers missing. Only DS0 (drive select 0) is in place.

Disc change (DC) and Ready signal (RY/RDY) are missing, so the drive will not work.

You need two more jumpers.
By ttolleson Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 pm
Thanks, Clint! That's good advice. Apparently you are correct and I need more jumpers.
One point of confusion I'm having is that if the DC jumper is in place, it prohibits the Ready Signal from being put in the location specified from the diagram. Pole #6 (from left) on the bottom row will already be occupied by the DC jumper in place horizontally.

I searched around on the web and found a guy who had configured an FZ-357 drive for an S900 and hoped for some good luck and that the settings would be the same for an MPC 60 II

I followed the configuration specified resulting in the photo below but my MPC60 II still tells me I have a write-protected disk (no matter the tab position).

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

T

By MPCHunter Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 am
ttolleson wrote:
I searched around on the web and found a guy who had configured an FZ-357 drive for an S900 and hoped for some good luck and that the settings would be the same for an MPC 60 II

Follow the linked tutorial below for setting up your floppy drive. The tutorial is for an Amiga computer, but the settings should work for a MPC 60.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9 ... inon+drive
By Clint Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 am
ttolleson wrote:One point of confusion I'm having is that if the DC jumper is in place, it prohibits the Ready Signal from being put in the location specified from the diagram. Pole #6 (from left) on the bottom row will already be occupied by the DC jumper in place horizontally.]

You've got the jumpers facing the wrong direction. They should not straddle both rows of pin, but be on separate columns in a vertical position. So not going across from left to right but up and down.

Hope that makes sense!
By Clint Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 pm
Please post a picture of the correct jumper settings when you get it right. it may help others.
By peterpiper Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:03 pm
Nothing new from me here sorry but I can confirm tha this setting work in my s900.

I think the jumper you used (especially the one on the MM pin looks like it could have a problem providing a good contact. You probably should try another one.

peace and good luck
By SimonInAustralia Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 am
Clint wrote:You've got the jumpers facing the wrong direction. They should not straddle both rows of pin, but be on separate columns in a vertical position. So not going across from left to right but up and down.

On most devices, that is how it works, but not on these older floppy drives.

Some settings on these floppy drives have the jumper in a 'horizontal' orientation, some in a 'vertical' orientation.

The diagram/legend next to the jumpers shows how each setting needs to be jumpered, some being 'horizontal', some being 'vertical'...

By Clint Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:56 pm
My bad...

Yes thanks to the clearer images posted since I replied you can see that RDY does straddle both columns. So always refer to the jumper block diagram on the drive or in the technical specs for the correct jumper settings for DC, RDY/ RY and DS0.

That applies to any jumpered drive you want to try with an MPC60. Get those three settings correctl and you should be in business.
By Clint Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:38 am
3K. wrote:Would a CHINON 357-A be a proper replacement for an MPC3000, being a native HD floppy drive?

Better if you start another thread, this is about a specific drive for an mpc60.