Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Decepticon3107 Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:20 pm
What up, MPC3000 heads....

I own a 2000xl, but might be "up"grading to a 3000 in the near future. I was just curious though; can you chop samples as easily as you can on the 2000? I'm assuming that theres no zoning on a 3000/60 so what do you do, cut and paste?

Also, what real benefits would I enjoy by switching to the 3000? Are the filters better than on the 2000(which has low pass only)?
I read the comparison on www.mpc3000.com but it doesnt get very in-depth at all(sequencer, sample editing, etc...).

-Thanks

By DOVESKI Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:35 pm
Theres not a huge difference...I dont know if i would consider it a upgrade (ive owned the 2000XL, 60, and currently rock the 3K at the crib and have access to the 4K and 2K), i can say the sound is def cleaner out the stereo outs, the filters are better (WAY BETTER...but you can get the same sounding filters plus more options on the s3000), the sequencing....I have no clue, basically the same (I'm doing side by side comparisons this Friday on the sequencing), chopping samples is a ****, there is no zone feature, you have to copy and paste, then edit by number (which I actually like), the effects are alright, real digital sounding though, you can squeeze maybe a cheap reverb and delay out of them, and they dont work out of the 8 outs, only the stereo outs.

Its def not an all in one box like the 2KXL, its a studio piece.

Oh and the features I miss the most when I wanna bang out a quickie on the 3K is the purge fucntion, folder organization and the track mute function. Youll have to do mutes physically on your mixing board and arrangements in song mode.

That being said IT IS a simpler machine to use.

By funky-74 Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:12 pm
Editing is much more easy on the 2000. You will have to do most of it by ear as you only see a value on the screen. Filters suck on the 2000 so u will just love them on the 3k. Also you will work faster on the 3k after a while because u have dedicated buttons for every function. On the 2k u alwas have the anoying shift button. Some people may disagree but i think samples sound fatter trough the 8 outs on the 3k. When u mix in a descent studio u will hear the difference. Just like Doveski said u know...
S3000 is a cheaper option tho. + you will have 8 outs extra when u cop than one, so u can sample all your sounds stereo.