Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By kutdown Tue May 11, 2004 4:25 pm
Ill keep it simple

I have:

ASR-10
MPC 2000xl

I love my setup.....EXCEPT the 2000xl. I use my ASR for all my sampling of instruments. I use the MPC for drums and bass, and obviously sequencing. Im thinking about selling the 2000X and getting a MPC60 Upgraded. Ive read almost all the post on these forums, but cant decide. I love the 12bit sound, and the size and build of the 60's. My 2000x feels like im going to put my hand thru it when im beating on it.

Thanks guys...

www.foultone.com this is my home page, an older beat will load up when you get there. This is the kind of shit I make....

kutdown

By homershines Tue May 11, 2004 5:43 pm
Sounds like you have it all worked out.
That's probably gonna make you happier.

Peace.

By elmacaco Tue May 11, 2004 6:21 pm
For real, if you have that 60 bug in you, it probably means you will be happy with it.

Get a Mark I if you really want solid!

By kutdown Tue May 11, 2004 6:37 pm
The Mark 1 is the one Im thinking of...

Id trade/sell my 2000x in a second, I just wish I knew more hands on about the 60. I know the specs, but I need to play with something to know if its going to do what I want it too. (Im in canada, and Ive never had a chance to use one). I know the sample time wont be a issue... But how slow in the processor compared to a 2000x? One more question.....In the 2000x to make my basslines Ill sample a live bass note...then 16 level it. (var). and pitch it down. It gets me that deep bass. Im assuming it would be the same result in the 60?

kut

By elmacaco Tue May 11, 2004 6:50 pm
If you will be after one with the upgrade or upgrading yours, I'd read the 3.10 manual ( available at Rlinndesign.com )

the 16 levels on the 60 works this way but it is a bit more limited in the 60, tuning ranges are -120 to 60, same for the slider when used for tuning. You can choose pad 10 - 13 for the center pad with the original sample tuning.

From your issues with the 2000xl, I think you'll love the 60, but remember that being an older unit, the backlight may need replacing. Get one that isn't beat up and everything else should be straight.

The processor is fast enough for me, when cutting and pasting sample slices it can take a minute if it is a large chunk. Also deleting soft beginning takes like 15 seconds or so. Never bothered me. Oh and song mode takes time when it does the analysing sequence (never more than 30 seconds). Not bad at all since the rest of the machine is so quick.

By kutdown Tue May 11, 2004 7:02 pm
Thanks alot...You've made it pretty clear that its going to do what i need it to.

By elmacaco Tue May 11, 2004 7:07 pm
Oh man are you gonna love it! Few people find fault with the 2000XL on these points, and if you do, a 60 or 3000 will be a good fit.

By pUs Tue May 11, 2004 7:38 pm
elmacaco wrote: Also deleting soft beginning takes like 15 seconds or so. Never bothered me.

Uhm.. 15 seconds seems like an awfully long time. How large samples are you talking about in that case? I've never experienced any soft beginning-delete times as big as that. :)

By elmacaco Tue May 11, 2004 7:42 pm
ok, my perseption of time may be off, like 2-5 seconds maybe?

By kutdown Wed May 12, 2004 1:00 pm
I got my eye on one.....

Few questions....In the pic it looks like the unit has scsi, but it says it has version 2.14. Is that normal? I was under the impression you needed the upgrade to install the scsi option.

By kybeats Wed May 12, 2004 5:11 pm
kutdown, whats good?
Software version 2.14 was the only software version of the MPC60 that shipped where the scsi actually worked(..still don't know why that is..) I bought a backup 60 that has the version 3.03 software and the scsi works fine..not sure about the older software version. Theres alot of info on www.rlinndesign.com. If you have ques about what the expanded software ver 3.10 will give you........

By kutdown Wed May 12, 2004 6:05 pm
I had no Idea the 60 shipped with scsi....Thanks alot. So that means I just need to buy the Upgrading software...That not too bad.

Thanks again

By elmacaco Wed May 12, 2004 11:44 pm
the 60's come with a connector on the back that looks like a scsi but doesn't mean it is. If it has that OS then it is probably scsi, but don't be surprised if its not.

3.03? never heard of that one.

I think I'm gonna need to get a back up 60 at somepoint, but damn, shelling out for upgrades twice is gonna hurt. How much did you pay for your back up if you don't mind my asking?

By smoke crack Thu May 13, 2004 1:00 am
Is he serious about a scsi port working on software 2.14? I've never heard of that shit. Is that for real?????

By kybeats Thu May 13, 2004 1:03 am
Yo elmacaco, first let me say that your advice is right on point( I read alot of reviews although I don't post much)

I paid $600 for my back up. It's the mkii version( I also have the mk1). It came with the scsi option, new backlight and expanded ram(although I was told that all mkii's have expanded ram...it came stock in those)
It does have 3.03 and yes I've never heard of that number either.....BUT with the 3.03 I do have the poly/mono/note-off option which is a big plus....The only minor hang-up is that on the 60 I'm restricted to the 5 sec per sample....So I gain 1 and lose 1 which is a even trade....and since I also use the 60 with theS950 sample time in the 60 ain't that big a deal. Peace