Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

By rizzman Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 am
Yeah that would be cool.Thanks
By DOVESKI Thu May 20, 2004 5:15 pm
nubeing wrote:Why would you trust me?

1. I have a degree in record engineering.
2. I am a producer.
3. I have platinum records under my belt. (No I will not list them or tell you who i really am)
4. I know the MPC-60 and MPC 3000 like the back and front of my hand.

It is not as easy as just hitting the sync button. With the older MPCs we had to use a sync box because with the SMPTE tracks that the MPC is supposed to generate there are drop outs. When you use an external SMPTE generator and attempt to read with the 60 it still experiences problems. Even if you rent one (which always ends up being the worst) for your session in the studio, there is still problems.

Like I said before the SMPTE or sync thing is just one of many limited functions. Why limit yourself. IF YOU WANT TO SELL TRACKS and use what the big boys use, the MPC 3000 is the standard PERIOD....

Why get a Pinto when you can get a 328i. If money is the issue then keep rubbing nickels together until you got it but IT'S WORTH IT.

I'm out, peace....

off topic a bit here, but....

isnt smpte onyl used for video nowadays, i havent been in any "real" pro studios, but how is this used? To lock up vocals and the beat with something like a tascam da-88???

I thought Pro Tools made all that stuff obsolete.
By DaFunkDocta2004 Thu May 20, 2004 8:28 pm
...I've been lead to believe the same thing about SMPTE and video myself. I have used that SMPTE sync tone to lock vocals and tracks way in the past, but havent' used it in the studio for years and years now for some reason.

By fade502 Tue May 25, 2004 2:37 am
I'd now like to take this a step further... what is the advantage of the MPC 3000 over the 2000XL. I used to own a regular 2000 with the 8 out card, I loved it, but sold it because I did not think that I needed it. Now I want another, but am torn as to which model I shall get.

The big reason I got rid of it is because I could not directly connect it to my sample library on the computer... I don't think any of the models address this other than the 4000 or 1000 (one it too big for my needs, the other too small)

Is there a significant difference between the 2000xl and the 3000, I plan to get the XL equipped with the 8 outs.

By smoke crack Tue May 25, 2004 9:07 pm
Rizz........listen man.........i noticed your in the market for a 3000 and also noticed that you bought one of ebay last night for like 1400 or something like that. The same company posted up another one today on ebay. Is that the same one you bought and decided not to go thru with the deal?
Please get back to me cause if you had no issues or some issues with the seller and shit then I may jump on this. These guys put black pads on the MPC's and they put in an internal zip drive as well. Do any of you 3000 headz have any knowledge as to if the internal zip causes any probelms or if new pads is strange? LEt me know..........peace.............

By rizzman Tue May 25, 2004 9:15 pm
Yeah man i backed out because i didn't know the new black pads were the same pads as the mpc 4000's pads.I thought they were the original 3000's pads just painted black but they were replaced with the mpc 4000's pads.I dont like the feel of the 4000's pads and the 3000's are much better feeling to me.plus who knows if all this replacing pads and stuff is good for the unit.Also the pictures showed the original 3000's pads but really they were replaced with the 4000's pads.That's seems kind of weird to me.

By smoke crack Tue May 25, 2004 9:25 pm
yeah man I feel you..........the price seems a little weird as well........anyway thanks for the info....it looks like I'm gonna stay away as well. But for real B, I'm having the same dilemma......60 or 3G......
good luck Rizz.......................................................J

By mpc3000le Wed May 26, 2004 9:44 am
For Nubeing ( and the others reading )...

>1. I have a degree in record engineering.

For what it's worth so do lots of other people out there and possibly on this list too.

>2. I am a producer.

As are many people on this list.

>3. I have platinum records under my belt. (No I will not list them or tell >you who i really am)

Not all of us have to make a statement like this in order to qualify their opinion as a form of truth ...

>4. I know the MPC-60 and MPC 3000 like the back and front of my hand.

Excellent ... let us begin.

>It is not as easy as just hitting the sync button.

Never is...

>With the older MPCs we had to use a sync box because with the SMPTE >tracks that the MPC is supposed to generate there are drop outs.

The SMPTE receiver in the MPC60/MPC60MK2/MPC3000 is identical.
It is an OTARI IO series "receiver chip".

If you feel up to checking the hardware electronic configuration of this chip between said machines by reading circuit diagrams for same then feel free to do so.

>When you use an external SMPTE generator and attempt to read with the >60 it still experiences problems.

This was only ever the case when unfamiliar operators of both the external synchroniser equipment, tape machines and MPC60's got together in the same room and just thought everything would work first time around.

IE: Without being aware of what was causing the problem.

To keep it simple the original software releases for MPC60 machines contained a software error that caused slipping when syncing over extended periods of time via SMPTE ...

BTW: Early revisions of the Roland SBX synchroniser that was popular in the day had a similar bug.

FACT: Both of them were together a synergetic disaster that became for a short while the most mis-understood cause of most sync problems at that point in history.

This sync problem was rectified with later revisions of the MPC60/MPC60MK2 operating system. By later I mean 2.12 and higher. Of course the more recent Roger Linn design operating systems have no such problem either.

A fact also to confirm this can be found in later revision documentation.

>Even if you rent one (which always ends upbeing the worst) for your >session in the studio, there is still problems.

Rented one last weekend, locked it to a 30ips Studer A series multi track.

Even forgot to disable the noise reduction on track 24 which was being used for the SMPTE stripe.

Didn't slip or drift for the whole weekend session. Guess it was broke ?

>Like I said before the SMPTE or sync thing is just one of many limited >functions. Why limit yourself. IF YOU WANT TO SELL TRACKS and use >what the big boys use, the MPC 3000 is the standard PERIOD....

Yes ... I have an MPC3000 too.

>Where the sync to tape was concerned
>Why get a Pinto when you can get a 328i. If money is the issue then >keep rubbing nickels together until you got it but IT'S WORTH IT.

Where the sync to tape is concerned ??? Check your facts and be a little less vague with your opinions.