Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
ByOneBluesun Sat May 29, 2004 8:53 pm
I am planning to get a computer and use Fruity Loops as one of the main programs to visualize what I do on the MPC 60 and also to get effects on my drums. If I do this, will my MPC become just a basic Midi controller? If I hook up my MPC to Fruity Loops will it still retain the sound of the MPC or would it take on the sound of Fruity Loops? If someone can help me it would be much appreciated.

thanx,
Dave

By ikke Sat May 29, 2004 11:59 pm
You can MIDI sync them (Timecode or MIDI beat clock). You can use the pads of the MPC to trigger samples and synths in Fruityloops.

Refer to the manual of both MPC and FL.

By elmacaco Sun May 30, 2004 3:08 pm
it depends on what you use to sequence. WIth the MPC editor you can take the wave files from Fruity loops and load them into the 60. Try out using the MPC 60 as the sequencer with additional instruments in FL and perhaps some sequences in FL. THe problem with this is saving, you will have to load up the FL program and the 60 program that matches it to get your song back. Not a big deal to some, but to others it is a hassle. Try it out and see which way you like better. I would personally slave FL to the 60 as I like it's sequencer better than FL. But see what works for you.

ByOneBluesun Sun May 30, 2004 4:37 pm
I'm confused on how I would save a song matching the MPC and the FL programs. I would be saving the music files on the computer, not the MPC right? If you could elaborate a little more it would help me a lot.

By ikke Sun May 30, 2004 4:51 pm
If I combine pc with MPC, I work with reason and MPC. After a while, when I have something inetersting, I think of a unique name and name both tracks on MPC and comp the same.

By ikke Sun May 30, 2004 4:53 pm
the data from the MPC is different than data from Fruity loops. You have to save them seperate for each software/ hardware unit.

By ikke Sun May 30, 2004 4:53 pm
Only MIDI sequences are the same on both platforms

By elmacaco Sun May 30, 2004 5:12 pm
If you only use the MPC as a midi controller with FL, then this doesn't apply.

Although you would be missing out on a lot of cool shit in the MPC.

ByOneBluesun Sun May 30, 2004 5:25 pm
When you are saving the sequence on the MPC, do you save it on floppy? If I wanted Fruity loops as a slave to the MPC, could I still somehow save all of my music files on my computer?

By ikke Sun May 30, 2004 7:17 pm
You can save your MPC stuff on floppy ( you need to make HD floppys DS/DD floppys, go to the Rogerlinn website for info on how to do this ) and then save the data on PC.

If you have OS 3.x its easier i guess..

By arctec Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:55 pm
slightly off topic, but just wanted to add a thought...

the 60 was made in the mid 80s, and it amazes me how well and "right" this thing is within the context of a computer based recording set up. What ever software you use - logic, reason, Frooty etc, it just slots in to take over and open up possibilities. Did roger linn have access to a time machine? I love my Mpc60 :)

ByOneBluesun Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:41 am
I want to say thanks to everyone who replied on this thread for helping me out.

By elmacaco Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:55 am
It's just a well designed machine, with everything that one could need at your fingertips.

Linn is a genius, he invented the first Sample based drum machine, as well as Quantize, swing, and the famous MPC.

I love my 60 as well!

By DJAndreas Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:01 am
Any of you make beats with just your MPC 60 like I do? Im curious to hear some of your stuff

By DOVESKI Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:22 pm
I have a couple that are mpc60 only, id have to dig them up though. ill get at you whn i find em.