Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By eibou Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 pm
When sampling or playing the sequence or banging pads, the main volume level doesn't switch when the main volume knob is being turned.

I've owned 2k xl and still own 2,5k so I know whassup with these machines and don't need to read the whole 3k manual. This can't be normal on this machine, right?

ps. Another problem: when I plug my headphones to the phones-in on 3k, only right channel puts volume out. There is some very silent sound coming out from the left phone speaker, almost unhearable. The problem isn't the sampling cable nor the headphones - when I listen the stereo out, there is the sound on both left and right speaker.
By eibou Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 pm
Please help me if you know anything from these issues. I'm bugging off - I bought this mpc 2 months ago and I haven't made a single beat on it. First I had problems with the screen(fixed) and now this immediately after I got the screen fixed :(
By mpc3000le Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 am
eibou wrote:When sampling or playing the sequence or banging pads, the main volume level doesn't switch when the main volume knob is being turned.

Is the level apparently up loud all the time ?

Sound like who ever worked on your MPC3000 did not reconnect the RECORD and MAIN level pots back to their respective sockets correctly. ( not at all or swapped in their location )

eibou wrote:ps. Another problem: when I plug my headphones to the phones-in on 3k, only right channel puts volume out.

This could happen as a result of what I have written already.

Or ... as a result of some one attempting the earth noise leak fix and cutting an incorrect circuit board trace ( or making a bad bridge for earth redirection )

eibou wrote:There is some very silent sound coming out from the left phone speaker, almost unhearable. The problem isn't the sampling cable nor the headphones - when I listen the stereo out, there is the sound on both left and right speaker.

Investigate first the installation of RECORD and MAIN level sockets to ensure they are connected correctly.

Rohan
By eibou Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:10 am
Thanks for your reply Rohan :)

Yes, the stereo out is loud all the time. Record gain knob works when turned.

Where I can find these sockets? The funny thing is that when I got this machine and played around with it for a while before changing the foil, the volume knob worked. After the foil installation when the screen was bright again, this problem with the headphones and main volume appeared immediately.

I would be very happy if you could give me some insight on checking these sockets :)
By eastwood Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 am
Check all the connections circled in yellow (mainly the 2 grey wires with multicolored end's really!) to make sure the connector blocks or "sockets" are seated firmly in place and no pins are bent! disregard the one in to top left blown up pic P5 that is for the display contrast/backlight switch!

By eibou Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Thank you eastwood for your great reply! I will check those thangs asap when I get home. Have you had similar issues yourself so you know what's up from experience?
By eastwood Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 am
I hope for your sake its just something easy like the connector is not seated firmly in place for the main volume pot. I have not had that same issue but i know a decent amount about electronics and have had a dozen MPC3000's apart to pieces. If that doesnt seem to work check the PC boards that those wires plug into for any burn marks around components, or any strange electronic burning smell (if you have ever smelled burned up electronics you know what this smell is!) I hope its not anything that serious as if so it involves soldering and a more thorough inspection! I would think you could live with that issue, you can select a full pad bank in the mixer screen by pressing SOFT KEY 1 and that would allow you to turn down (or up) all the 4 pad banks together for the time being until you can have someone take a look at it. If you want to take a few high quality picture's of the inside and post them here we can take a peek but its hard to tell without looking at both sides of the PC boards to see problems and trace the circuit!

My guess from what you posted is that when the backlight was replaced the wires were not seated back on properly when put back together and just going thru all the plugs and making sure they are all firmly in place should fix this issue! :)
By eibou Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 pm
The soldering of two wires beneath the main volume knob was bad. Two of the wires were just hanging there with no contact to the potentiometer. I will get it fixed. Thanks for the advice!

I will reply to this topic once my friend solders this thing - my soldering iron and soldering skills are so awful that I have to ask for a friend's help :wink:
By eastwood Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 am
Thats good news! Glad to hear it wasn't anything major then, a few minutes of soldering then put everything back together you should be good to go! I always double check all the cable connections and before putting all the screws back in plug it in and turn it on. Thise way if you forgot to reconnect any wires you can fix it without having to undo the screws again! :mrgreen: