Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

By anon_twist Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:10 pm
elmacaco wrote:mouser part number 688-SKHHAM

6.0X6.0X5.0MM 160GF ALPS TACTILE S.

I replaced all my buttons but the four above the slider.

just to clarify, this is the one for the mpc60???

By elmacaco Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:41 am
yup.
By peezie Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:23 pm
what do you guys use to desolder? ive been using one of those cheap radio shock ones and takes me forever! i have about 10 broken buttons and i need to find a more efficient way to desolder/ remove old solder...

By elmacaco Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:31 pm
I found that the radio shack bulb desoldering iron is great for buttons.

I used to use solder wick, but now I prefer this. Remember you need to tin the tip of the iron before use (melt some solder on the tip once it gets hot enough, like oil in a pan),

Also for some tough solder joints, add a bit of fresh solder to the joint, the flux will help the old solder melt quicker.

You are squeezing the bulb before putting the iron on the joint and spraying the sucked up solder into a trash bin or something right?

The iron with the bulb on it is only 9.99 can't go wrong.

By peezie Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:54 am
thanks, i need to try one of those. im using the one that works like a pump. its a **** having to use two hands to hold the soldering iron and the pump seperately.

By elmacaco Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:08 am
I like them a lot after hearing nothing but bad news about them. I replaced all my 60 buttons with one. One handed operation can be achieved by using your thumb to keep the bulb depressed until the solder is hot. Just don't spray the solder you suck up into the mpc.

By JUKE 179r Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:25 pm
Try this solder remover:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F004&product%5Fid=64%2D2098

Its perfect for those of us with 2 hands :lol:

Also, use the thinnest solder rosin that you can find. You don't want a glob of solder on a small terminal.
That could lead to problems of possibley touching other terminals on a switch or button. Good luck.

By peezie Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:41 am
thats the kind i was using. its a **** to hold that in one and solder in the other. the pump part broke on me so it was even more of a **** to use. im going with the one el suggested. easy one hand operation. excuse the redundance, but can anybody confirm the SKHVBE is the riht one for 3k? thanks in advance.

JUKE 179r wrote:Try this solder remover:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F004&product%5Fid=64%2D2098

Its perfect for those of us with 2 hands :lol:

Also, use the thinnest solder rosin that you can find. You don't want a glob of solder on a small terminal.
That could lead to problems of possibley touching other terminals on a switch or button. Good luck.