Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By seriouz Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm
Hello

I tried to hook up a Iomega ZIP-drive to my mpc 3k but it doesn't work. I tried several SCSI-cables. I also tried both SCSI-IDs (5 and 6) and termination on /off but with no success.

What could the issue be? Something i missed?

Helps very appreciated.

seriouz
By Shostakovich Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm
The Fuse at F901 on the SCSI board may be gone. This may be due to hot swapping the drive while the MPC is still on. I had the same problem. Replace with self resetting type to avoid this in the future.

Sorry about the image size...

By *Pilchard* Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:08 pm
seriouz wrote: what do you mean with hot swapping?

"Shostakovich" means, never plug/unplug your SCSI drives/cords without turning off the mpc first.
That's how the fuse gets blown.
By Shostakovich Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm
As you can see from the picture, the fuse at F901 is a 2 point solder job. Its very easy if you have basic soldering skills - you don't even have to remove the board.

If you aren't confident, take it to ANY TV / Radio repair shop. They will do it in under a minute.
By mpc3000le Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 am
seriouz wrote:Hello

I tried to hook up a Iomega ZIP-drive to my mpc 3k but it doesn't work. I tried several SCSI-cables. I also tried both SCSI-IDs (5 and 6) and termination on /off but with no success.

What could the issue be? Something i missed?

Helps very appreciated.

seriouz

Have you actually tried to FORMAT said ZIP disk with the MPC3000 yet ?

DISK, 9 ... Format a SCSI device.

If you have not formatted the ZIP disk with your MPC3000 then it won't be recognized for save and load purposes.

Beyond that.

All the other posts here concerning the SCSI fuse may be a point of concern if formatting said SCSI disk is not possible,

Rohan.
By Shostakovich Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 am
Rohan,

Thanks for helping me with this problem last year!
By seriouz Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm
I already tried to format it but error 48 (no SCSI Device found) appears. So I think i'll bring it to a TV-repair-shop tomorrow. What should I tell to the man there? To solder those two points? Is that everything?

Thanks for your help guys.
By Shostakovich Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm
seriouz wrote:I already tried to format it but error 48 (no SCSI Device found) appears.

Yes, that's the error I was getting also. Seems more and more likely the fuse F901 is the culprit.

Is that everything?

Hopefully.
By *Pilchard* Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:23 pm
seriouz wrote: What should I tell to the man there? To solder those two points?

He needs to solder in a new fuse. (The black squarish thing in the picture)
By Shostakovich Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm
*Pilchard* wrote:
seriouz wrote: What should I tell to the man there? To solder those two points?

He needs to solder in a new fuse. (The black squarish thing in the picture)

NO! Its clearly labelled F901 on the board. The round fuse (H120) with fresh solder in the picture.
By Shostakovich Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 pm
The fuse man. The fuse. Definitely get someone else to look at it.
By seriouz Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 am
Shostakovich wrote:The fuse man. The fuse.

Ok, now I got it, thanks. I'm in Switzerland and the official Akai-Support here told me that the mpc 3000 fuses aren't available no more. Any idea where a can get one? Didn't find it on mpcstuff.com.