Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs

By anon_twist Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:57 pm
does this have anything to do with it?

How to keep windows from messing up Zip disks

Windows likes to write in the disk OEM field to track them. This also happens to be the same location that the MPC uses to determine if it is an MPC disk or not. There is a way to keep windows from writing in this field and it is set under `NoVoltrack`. It is as simple as making a registry entry like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NoVolTrack]

"MPC-60"=hex:03,00,4d,50,43,2D,36,30,20,20

If you know enough about registries, then you should be able to enter that no problem.

I know it says MPC-60, but that is the filesystem that the MPC3000 uses.

Please be careful when editng your registry. I take no responsibility for damage.

Computer will need to be restarted before this will take effect.
By dmaxj Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:07 pm
Is NoVolTrack a folder, REG_DWORD, or REG_GZ or what???
By anon_twist Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:19 pm
dmaxj wrote:Is NoVolTrack a folder, REG_DWORD, or REG_GZ or what???

no, it's not a folder. it has to do with the system registry. the way the BIOS reads disks. But I wouldn't make changes in the registry if you aren't comfortable doing so, or have that type of experience.

are you asking because you're using MPC Editor?
By dmaxj Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 am
i don't have a problem making changes to the registry - I just want know how to read the post from above....

I guess i am making a REG_GZ entry with the string

Peace
By anon_twist Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:45 pm
dmaxj wrote:i don't have a problem making changes to the registry - I just want know how to read the post from above....

I guess i am making a REG_GZ entry with the string

Peace

yah, from what I can see novol is a folder within filesystem, that you can create, then in there, make a new key with the "hex" setting on, then enter the string as it is typed starting with "03,00,..."
By dmaxj Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:17 am
Okay.

I made the registry entry into the WINXP OS, which is supposed to keep the PC from writing over the OEM track.

I then restarted the computer.

I then formatted the zip disk with WIN XP.

Next, I converted some .wav's to .snd files and saved them to the zip disk.

I tried to load the .snd files into the MPC3000.

I received the error that the MPC3000 could not read the disk.

Has anyone had any success with the registry entry given above? Maybe I am missing a step, but I followed the instructions.

I even went so far as to format an MPC3000 disk and then tried load into a PC. This definitely a'int happening. WIN XP cant even reformat a disk that has been formatted by the MPC3000 (you have to make partitions.)

By mpc3000 Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:40 am
NoVolTrack is nothing related to reading MPC3000 disks. You can search for NoVolTRack in any search engine for additional background.

The inability of XP to read MPC3000 disks is known only to those that work in the darkest hallways of Microsoft. There is a work around but I have not published it yet since I am still working on an unrelated distribution arrangement.
By dmaxj Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:54 pm
I am inclined to think that the MPC3000 disk system in MAC based. Anyone else have any knowledge.

Also -
The question is: does the post at this link really work? Yes or No

http://www.mpc3000.com/NoVolTrack.htm

Peace
By dmaxj Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:44 pm
Okay, the OEM track has been located.

I think i am close.

Although that MAC statement may be true. I made some real progress today... Holla....

Peace

By mpc3000 Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:34 am
"I am inclined to think that the MPC3000 disk system in MAC based"

No. It is DOS based, and a particular version at that.