Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By DJAndreas Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:42 am
another question if you don't mind. You see, everyody always is talking about adding another mpc etc... some have like 20 mpc 3000's etc.. Anyway, If I ever had the chance at another machine(I promised myself no more for a while) I would take the SP 1200, and have that and my 60 work as a team. I love the sp 1200, I used to work on a sp12 turbo(still have it-it's toast). What are your comparisons on the 60(mk2) with the upgrade vs. the sp 1200? The only thing is, if I were ever to go on a 1200, the buttons are all small, I would miss the m nice pads.

thanks

By elmacaco Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:39 pm
THe SP sounds dope, but as a sequencer and even as a sampler it is limited compared to the 60. Having both would be cool, but if it was one or the other I would pick the 60. Just read the manuals for both, the sp can be cumbersome in many ways. Once you get deeper into the 60 you'll know if you like it better than the SP, SP's will always be available.

By anon_twist Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:49 pm
does the sp1200 have low and high pass filters? that would be somewhat of a plus.. but then, you can just go with something like an eps or asr for filtering...

one thing I find cumbersome about the 60 is the time it takes to copy sounds, for example, if I'm chopping a phrase, I'll truncate-copy-truncate-copy etc.. instead of sampling again..

By elmacaco Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:20 am
Lowpass only, no resonance, and permanant on the outputs, no assigning them to sounds, only outputs. The 60 is more machine for sure, get an emax or other rack with filters if you want that.

Yeah, the copy does take a long time, I stopped using it mostly and just sample each sound except on rare occasions, it's a lot quicker.

By DJAndreas Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:39 am
ELMACACO.. so the 60 is more "rare" than the 1200?

By elmacaco Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:30 pm
Not sure, but who cares?

They probably made a lot of 60's, but the reissued the 1200, so there may be more 1200's or more 60's, I really don't know.

The SP sounds great, has a great user interface with the sliders, but it has a bunch of shortcommings that may or may not bother you (no quantize off, irregular timing unless slaved to smpte, etc.)

The 60 with upgrade is rarer than the 1200, I can't imagine there are that many, but I really don't know the numbers.

The 60 with 3.10 allows you to do so much it's just crazy! I would miss all that if I switched, a machine that as all the 60 features with such a great interface is pretty rare.

By DJAndreas Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:28 pm
cOOL, THANKS.. I have an sp 12 turbo, but it is pretty worn out, some sh*T doesnt work right. The total sampling time is 5 seconds. Im thinking of getting it looked at and working both. Do you know if you can send it in to emu?

By elmacaco Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:04 am
emu won't do any good, find a good tech in your area.

Using both is a great idea.

By DJAndreas Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:29 am
thought so, thanks. Maybe FORAT?

By elmacaco Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:40 pm
They are kinda Pricey, I'd go with other techs, like VST in Pasadena.

By DJAndreas Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:31 pm
vst, cool, I'll look them up..thanks

By DJAndreas Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:40 pm
elmacaco. Do you think that an sp 12 with a 60 would sound better than just a 60. I mean, he sp 12 is so limited as far as sampling time, and the 60 is 12 bit. Why bother right? I would assume that hooking the sp 303(like we discussed a while ago) would make more sense. Any comment?

By elmacaco Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:19 am
Use both man. DOn't ditch the 12, it has a better sound and filters. The 303 is great too, but I think you will miss using the sp12 if you ditch it.

You can start a song on any machine, then use the others to flesh it out if need be. Or as Drumat!c said, sample into the sp first, then from that into the MPC. I tried this with the emax and the 60 and it does improve the sound a bit, but it depends on the source material, good drums sound great in the 60, weak drums sound OK. On an old emu sampler, weak drums sound good and good drums sound great.

I just found out that Ali Shaheed Mohammed used a 60 II back in the day. But I am not sure how certain it is, besides a guy I know who worked with them saw his studio and it had a 60 II and a 900 or a 950.
Last edited by elmacaco on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.