Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Aktopus Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 am
Hello forum!

I just got myself an MPC3000 and very happy, but the screen is hard to see.
It's very dark no matter how I set the Display Contrast knob.

Question...
Do I need to replace the backlight, or do I need to replace the LCD itself,,,Or do I have to replace both of them???

All the letters and numbers can be sharply visible but it is still very hard to read because it is dark, so I am guessing that I just need to get a new backlight....

Please let me know.
Thanks!!!!
By zippertafari Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am
Hello,

Glad you're enjoying your mpc 3000.
If you can see the letters on the screen when there is enough light and it is just the contrast that is not working well then I reckon you just need a new backlight - there was a place that did a backlight where you could install it without having to remove (de-solder) the old one. Worked a treat for me.
Unless you literally cannot see anything on the display - or there is something obviously wrong with the LCD like a crack in the screen. I'd hold off from getting a new screen. They are not cheap.
So I'd suggest getting a new backlight first. As you say that the letters are visible even though its dark this should fix your problem.
Z
By robtheviking Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm
I just got my 3000. Just figured out that for the past week and a half I've been using with the backlight turned off. You might want to try clicking the contrast knob.. It's a button too! I don't think they included thy in the manual
By rclosure Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 am
Just purchased an MPC 2000. Received it today, but I can barely see the lettering on the screen. How do I repair? And is it an easy fix?

Thanks
Richard.
By *Pilchard* Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 pm
rclosure wrote:Just purchased an MPC 2000.

It's a different kind of backlight.
Try asking in the MPC2000 forum.
Those screens don't last forever.
By Flub Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:06 pm
Hey guys,

Because the screen is so bad i decided to create a bigger led backlit screen with high contrast.
But it is not plug and play... it has like 10 solder joints.

I ll post it when i finished it.
By Wal Martian Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:29 pm
robtheviking wrote:I just got my 3000. Just figured out that for the past week and a half I've been using with the backlight turned off. You might want to try clicking the contrast knob.. It's a button too! I don't think they included thy in the manual

I just did the same thing, I bought a new back light and installed it, then it didn't light so I contacted the seller and he told me to click the knob. Coming from the s900 (backlight is aftermarket,) and the 2K(screen is always lit) I had no idea.

:WTF: