Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By richie Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:54 am
@Pilchard you spoiled the fun. I was hoping to see how the conversation would turn out lol.
By bigKB123 Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 pm
Is there a way to save when using full memory 1536k without using multiple images? How do you save when using full memory? Also I've noticed in this thread a few different model numbers. I'd like to grab the one with 999 folders for a mc 60
By chaseaston Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 pm
bigKB123 wrote:Is there a way to save when using full memory 1536k without using multiple images?
bigKB123 wrote:Anyone???

It must be by coincidence that I have just asked Clint this same question, as I am getting the RAM expansion for my MPC60, as well as a Gotek Floppy Emulator. Please see his response below;
1. The internal memory of the gotek is equal to one floppy disk, approx 720kb. Each disk image is also this size. As with floppy disks, you can save larger files across two disk images, for example when the mpc60 has the memory expansion fitted.
2. The mpc60 requires the 720k gotek as it emulates the original floppy drive. I haven't tried but doubt the 1.44 gotek would work as it formats differently and uses a different driver.

Also, is it possible to format/partition the USB using the mpc?

Regarding the above question: I have been advised that the Gotek formats the USB itself - no need to format it on a computer.
By Spod Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 pm
I'm looking at either the USB or SD option. Is it true the USB drives just number the emulated 'floppies' and you can't name them but you can with the SD HxC?
By chaseaston Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 pm
I have had a play around with the Gotek drive. It is amazing.

Regarding the above question - yes, it is true that the drive names the emulated 'floppies' with a number. I have experienced limited editing features on the Mac, such as deleting and renaming the files.
By chaseaston Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 pm
I was wondering is if it is fine to take the USB in and out of the drive while the MPC is on?

There is no 'eject' button so to speak. I assume that if the light isn't on for the drive indicating that it is reading/writing, then it should be ok to unplug and plug in the USB. I have tried it with success, but I am conscious that ejecting and inserting the USB in this way may cause data corruption on the USB in the future.

Any insights?
By nix Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 am
Just to contribute some info on Gotek usage, as I've recently bought one for my 60II.

I've ordered this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01B1D ... UTF8&psc=1

Model is SFRM72FU, 3digit display, 720Kb internal flash memory, 999 folders support.

I didn't need to mess with no jumpers, it worked right out of the box.

I have formated the USB stick with mac’s Disk Utility (ms dos fat 32, with master boot record) as that small CD is no good on iMac.

It took me some time to wrap my head around how this thing works, I finally figured it out, along with saving on multiple floppies (where possible).

Unfortunately MPC 60 demands at least 750Kb empty disk when splitting long files, so 720Kb of Gotek is simply not enough to even start the process, meaning you cannot save one long 26 second sample on multiple disks.

But you can save a project that in total size exceeds 720Kb, as long as there is no single file that exceeds 720Kb.

Overall, to save multiple floppies, you need to transfer flash memory containing each disk onto separate folder of USB, clear flash memory, change to another folder and continue saving, here's how:

1. To test, use a project that exceeds 720Kb size, so it will require two disks. Also, have an empty folder 000 on your USB.

2. Use folder 001 for the first floppy, and 002 for the second, Gotek will create those two folders for you.

3. With no USB stick connected to Gotek, use buttons to setup the first folder to 001

4. Connect USB stick, press Left button so Gotek displays “d1”

5. On MPC goto Disk > 5 save all programs and sounds > Do it

6. MPC will fill the 720Kb of the internal memory and then ask for another disk

7. Now press Left button again, Gotek will display “d2”, meaning it is copying data from internal memory to USB folder 001. When done, Gotek will display 001 and the first disk is saved.

8. Now, as MPC is asking for another disk, we need to clear Gotek internal memory. Pull out the USB stick.

9. Change the folder to 000. Put USB back in, “d0” quickly appears, meaning that the internal memory is cleared. Pull the USB out again.

10. Now prepare the folder for the second disk, change Gotek folder to 002.

11. Put USB back in, press Left button so Gotek displays “d1”

12. On MPC screen, press Next disk and the saving process will continue.

13. Once it is done, press Left button again (d2 appears) to copy data from internal memory to USB folder 002. Second disk is saved.

Loading multiple disk is done in similar fashion - load the first folder, then when MPC asks for the second disk, pull out the USB, change folder to 002 and insert it back.

Hope this helps someone :smoker:
By KOVSHBEATS Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:47 pm
Just copped that Gotek Floppy Emulator.
What i have is 60 MK II with Vimana OS 3.15b5
1. I replaced floppy with gotek. When i turn mpc on i see 00.0 digits and always green light.
2. I cannot swith from 00.0 to another number.
3. When i insert Usb stick green light is always on and 00.0 swithing to 000 and back. Every 3 seconds. When i try to choose any number. Its switching back to 00.0 in 3 seconds. Im confused guys.