Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By SEED78 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 pm
anyone using the SFRM72-FU-DL in the S950??

I'd love to get a HXC, but a cheaper option never hurt!!
By djobserv Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm
war424[CUBA] wrote:Hi all, with respect to my comment on no jumper settings I should clarify my statement. Out of the box the emulator drive works! Why you took off the jumpers is not my place to question. I will take a look at the 60 today and check jumpers. The USB stick does not have to be reformatted with the software provided. Create the folders on the USB stick on your computer. Yes create 999 folders (hint copy paste rename). If I can help further let me know. WAR424

War,

Did you have a chance to check the jumper settings? I can't remember how it was set when I unpackaged it.

Also, do you know what size flash drive you are using? I've tried a 2gb stick and i'm not sure if that's causing any problems.

Thanks for your help.
By the dreamer himself Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:43 am
yo,

i'm having some trouble with the SFRM72-FU, and wondering if anyone has the same problem, or any ideas.
after formatting the usb stick (sandisk cruzer fit 4gb) by the instructions listed:

Formatting USB-drive

On the CD, navigate to "CD/english/SOFTWARE for XXX-U100" version and extract "usb-floppy-format-tool_v123_sfd" and start the application "V123_SFD.exe".

Just select 720 kB as Floppy Type, and click "Begin Formatting...".

i am only able to save 720kb of data in total. if i save a 500kb program in folder 01, then save another 500kb program in folder 02, it will only save 220kb (making up the 720kb) and the rest of the samples will save as 0kb. thus bringing an error when i try to load.
so i can only format the usb stick with a 720kb total storage, instead of 720kb per folder.

any ideas?
thanks.
By SDC Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm
the dreamer himself wrote:yo,

i'm having some trouble with the SFRM72-FU, and wondering if anyone has the same problem, or any ideas.
after formatting the usb stick (sandisk cruzer fit 4gb) by the instructions listed:

Formatting USB-drive

On the CD, navigate to "CD/english/SOFTWARE for XXX-U100" version and extract "usb-floppy-format-tool_v123_sfd" and start the application "V123_SFD.exe".

i am only able to save 720kb of data in total. if i save a 500kb program in folder 01, then save another 500kb program in folder 02, it will only save 220kb (making up the 720kb) and the rest of the samples will save as 0kb. thus bringing an error when i try to load.
so i can only format the usb stick with a 720kb total storage, instead of 720kb per folder.

any ideas?
thanks.

Very simple: Do not format your usb stick ;)
By ilyag55 Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:03 am
Hey guys,

Just got my Gotek emulator in the mail today and am having some issues with error ff80.

I bought the Gotek from this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261184845579?ss ... 1497.l2649

Model: SFRM72-FU 72KB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Embroidery Machine Dedicated

- I have an MPC60 mk1 with 3.10 OS.
- I left the 2 jumpers at the default position (if you're looking from left to right, theres a jumper on the 3rd row and another one on the 6th row).

When I turn on the MPC, I get a "Searching floppy for startup files" followed by "Loading files..." display for about 15 secs.

When I try to write anything to the drive via the MPC, it gives me error FF80 "There is no floppy in the disk drive. Please insert a disk." (this happens regardless of whether I have a stick in the drive).

The light on the drive stays green the entire time, it does not turn off.

Am I maybe doing something wrong? For example, do I need to use some button combination to save to flash memory before I can use the disk/save feature from the MPC? Do I need to actually have a USB drive inserted and formatted before I can save? If I do, is there something I might be forgetting since I'm still getting the FF80 error?

If anyones experiencing a similar problem or has some advise, it'd be much appreciated!
By RudeRuben Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:55 pm
SDC wrote:
the dreamer himself wrote:yo,

Formatting USB-drive

any ideas?
thanks.

Very simple: Do not format your usb stick ;)

What if i already did that ?
Got the same problem... Also formatted the USB-stick,. And I can save like 4-5 sounds(chops).. It says free 713K.. 1 sound is like 182k..

And I dont understand what u guys mean with folders.. Are you supposed to make folders in the folder, if you know what I mean. ?. when the stick is connected to the PC ?.. :roll:

Have actually tried to read the whole thread.. A summary would be good. Seems complicated
By SDC Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 am
Ok, stick with me:

1. My Usb emulator model is SFRM72-FU
2. I have it installed on a MPC60 II with os3.10
3. The use of the emulator couldn't be easier once you get it

4. I did not changed any jumper settings on the emulator

5. I had the same "problem" some of you mention, ie, after formating my usb stick with the included mini disc coming with the emulator, it only had a max capacity of 720k. The solution, couldn't be easier: DO NOT FORMAT YOUR USB STICK!
If you will use a USB stick that you have laying around, format it normally as you format any other drive (if you don't know how to do it, just google "format USB stick")

That said, let's move

6. The floppy emulator supports 99 directories and a root directory. Each directory is numbered from 00 to 99 and represent the contents of a 720kB disk.

7. 00 is your root directory, so use only from 01 to 99

8. The floppy emulator has two buttons on the front. These buttons have different functions depending on if a USB drive is inserted or not.
If no USB drive is inserted, the buttons are only for selecting the folder you want to use - The Left button increases folders by 10, and the Right button by 1.

Let's say that you already have some chopped samples and want to save them to your USB drive:

9. Choose your desired folder as mentioned on point 8, without any USB drive on the Emulator. Once you done it, insert the USB drive. Let's say you have nº12 on the emulator - when you insert your usb drive, folder nº12 will be created.

10. Press the Left Button. The display should now read "d1"

11. Save your files on the MPC as you normally do with the old floppy's

12. Press Left button again. This will export the files from the internal memory of the emulator to your USB drive

13. Press Right button. Done!

14. Now you can remove your USB drive, plug it into your computer to backup files, etc

15. It's possible to edit folder names for best recall, as long as you keep the root number. For ex.: 12 TR909

Now let's say that you turn off your MPC. When you turn it on again, you will realize that the last stored samples in the emulator are there, even without any USB drive plugged. That's kind of cool huh?

16. If you want to delete the cachet memory of your emulator, ie delete the previous stored samples, just choose the root number on the emulator (you should know how to it by now, if not start reading this post again), insert your USB drive, and turn your MPC off. Done!

If you want to load previous stored samples on your USB drive:

17. Choose your desired folder number on the emulator without the USB drive plugged

18. Insert your USB drive

19. You should now read "d0" for a few seconds. Wait until you see your folder number again.

20. Load the samples on the MPC as you previously did with floppy's. Done!

Hope this helps.
By SDC Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 pm
Hizerock wrote:Does it work with a mpc3K?
Where did you buy them, I saw it on 2 different sites at 2 differents prices
Thank you

Yes it does. Do a search here at MPC Forums and you will find info about the correct emulator model. There's one able to store 999 floppy's in one USB stick.
By ascensionmusic Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:16 pm
I've got the DL emulator in my MPC60. I created a video on the basic functions..but i think i wanna make it more in depth. I will try and come back with a detailed video on the process.
By mightyshocks Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:23 pm
Has anyone who was encountering the FF80 "no disk..." error resolved this? I'm getting it WITH jumpers in the described position and WITHOUT jumpers. How did you resolve this. Pretty annoying. The emu drive is properly reading the USB and folders are being created etc..

Thanks!
By godxbOmb Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:47 am
I just grabbed one of these gotek 720k emulators. Seems like it would me be too expensive not to in the long run. Floppies are becoming scarce, and the time you save with this thing pays for itself. I am also interested to find out if there is one like this that does work well with the S950...but I will save it for the "other samplers" forum.