Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By godxbOmb Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 am
Clint wrote:
godxbOmb wrote:This cat bought a 16GB thumb drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AdRCr4UEM

That 'cat' posted in this thread 5 posts before you.

Cool vid.

"I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?"
-Jules Winnfield

It is indeed helpful. I will watch it again when installing mine.
By v00d00ppl Tue May 06, 2014 2:42 pm
I noticed that when I switch disks some are 671k and others are 713k. Is there anything I'm missing?
By godxbOmb Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 am
Call me dumb...but I cannot get this thing to work. I am starting to think it's defective due to how much the red digits blink on the display. The mpc doesn't detect a disc at all, ever.

EDIT: My ribbon cable was on backwards.. :lol:
By Clint Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:24 pm
Finally got round to trying this mod myself.

I have the SRFM72-FU model which emulates up to 99 floppies. Got it off a guy in the UK who 'upgraded' to a SCSI Zip drive for faster load/save times. No box, manual or software was included, just the unit itself.

I can now see why some people have had trouble getting it to work.

Early observations...

1. Don't change any jumper settings, leave as it came.
2. Dont use the included software to 'format' your USB stick.
3. Do make sure your floppy ribbon cable is the right/wrong way around.
4. Easy to back up and edit file names on Mac or PC.
5. There is some misinformation in this thread.
6. The manual is quite helpful if you get stuck, download it.

But yes it does work as claimed, I'm impressed. Great value compared to the HxC which (still) costs 3-4 times as much. Won't be giving up my floppy drive just yet though, but for someone starting from scratch its a cool upgrade to USB and flash memory in an MPC60.

Method: I loaded an 808 kit that was downloaded from Roger Linn's site. Transferred the .pgm and .snd's to a folder on my USB stick using my MacBook Pro. Loaded the kit into the emulator/MPC60 without any problems.

Load Process: USB Drive >>> FLASH MEMORY/EMULATOR>>>MPC60 RAM
Save Process: MPC60 RAM>>>FLASH MEMORY/EMULATOR>>>USB Drive

You do not load/save direct from USB to MPC60 RAM, these operations are via the built-in FLASH MEMORY of the Gotek emulator. This memory is retained when the MPC60 is powered down.

That's all folks. :wink:
By Clint Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 pm
Here is the manual for the SFRM72-FU (original) model.
Jumper settings (JP-D) are shown for those people who for some reason changed them from default.

http://iw.suntekstore.com/images_cache/ ... RM72FU.pdf

And here is the manual for the SFRM72-FU-DL which holds up to 999 folders.

http://iw.suntekstore.com/images_cache/ ... 019784.pdf

Note that the two buttons are not labelled on the units. The left button is 10's when no USB is inserted, and OUT when USB is inserted.
The right button is 1's when no USB is inserted, and IN when USB is inserted. At first this confused me for a hot minute, so be aware...

IN = load from USB to built-in memory
OUT = save from built-in memory to USB

Some of my MPC60 'floppies' contain more than 720kb of data, so after loading these from a CF reader, they could not be saved to the Gotek's internal memory due to a lack of space. Why? Because the MPC60 formats floppies up to 793kb, but the Gotek internal memory has a maximum capacity of 720kb (Dos). Be aware of this if planning to back up existing data stored on floppies!!!

According to the manual, you can store more than 720kb within each of the 99/999 folders which have an unlimited capacity, and can be searched...so I guess in theory you could have 1 folder on your USB with loads of individual samples and sequences within it. But you'll find that it's usually more convenient to have 1 program/sequence per folder, just make sure total data in each of the 99/999 folders doesnt exceed 720kb.

Also the autoload is just beyond cool...yes, autoload a .pgm on an MPC60 without using SCSI devices or a USB drive. The built-in memory retains its data on power down and autoloads the .pgm on power up.

More observations:

The colour is a perfect match for an MPC60
The emulator is approx 20mm shorter than the FDD it replaces
The emulator is significantly lighter in weight than a FDD
The MPC60 'format floppy' command is rendered useless, and the OS may hang if used
Users can easily share files/folders via internet, without conversion software or CF/SCSI

Clint wrote:That's all folks. :wink:
By SimonInAustralia Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:55 pm
Some interesting new stuff and things from Stratos Technology, that might be good for MPC60/3000 storage...

Product Name : CF Raizin Monster HOT SWAP corresponding CF-SCSI conversion adapter
Price : 12,900 yen (converts to $127US)

Description

It is the adapter card by replacing MO, etc. ZIP drive so that it can be used as a SCSI device CF memory card.
• Removable function (HOT SWAP) possible *
• 3.5 inches FDD drive bay size
• Type I / II support
• SCSI I / II / III support
• Mac, Win, Linux bootable

* You must have a removable function OS.

AKAI MPC series, such as the E-MU sampler, please use the CF cards to 32GB.

Product Name : SATA-SCSI adapter conversion HOT SWAP support DinoMonster
Price : 15,900 yen (converts to $157US)

Description

It is the adapter card by replacing MO, etc. ZIP drive so that it can be used as a SCSI device SSD.
• Removable function (HOT SWAP) possible *
• 3.5 inches FDD drive bay size
• SATA II compliant (up to 2TB)
• SCSI I / II / III support
• Mac **, Win, Linux bootable

* You must have a removable function OS.
** If you want to boot from HFS + formatted with a Macintosh, you need volume size is 180GB or less.

AKAI MPC series, such as the E-MU sampler, please use the following 64GB SSD.

Product Name : MPC3000 built-in SCSI adapter conversion
Price : 4,800 yen (converts to $47US)

Description

• This is the kit for you to convert to 50-pin SCSI generic internal 26-pin SCSI of AKAI MPC3000, want to be able to built-in CF RaizinMonster, DinoMonster, ZIP drives, Syquest.
• Soldering required. Installation is simple.
• Without sacrificing the external SCSI connector, I can accept.
• Instruction manual, SCSI cable, FDD-> HDD conversion power cable included.

By Clint Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:39 pm
Good stuff keeps on coming through. I think the Stratos stuff warrants a dedicated thread. Although I'm not yet aware of anyone here taking the plunge and installing their stuff in an MPC 60/3000. Will compile relevant posts into a new thread when I get to a computer.

Edit: Actually, we might as well use this existing thread for all things Artmix/Stratos Technology.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172750
By C-Quence Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 am
ilyag55 wrote:Hey guys,

Just got my Gotek emulator in the mail today and am having some issues with error ff80.

I bought the Gotek from this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261184845579?ss ... 1497.l2649

Model: SFRM72-FU 72KB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Embroidery Machine Dedicated

- I have an MPC60 mk1 with 3.10 OS.
- I left the 2 jumpers at the default position (if you're looking from left to right, theres a jumper on the 3rd row and another one on the 6th row).

When I turn on the MPC, I get a "Searching floppy for startup files" followed by "Loading files..." display for about 15 secs.

When I try to write anything to the drive via the MPC, it gives me error FF80 "There is no floppy in the disk drive. Please insert a disk." (this happens regardless of whether I have a stick in the drive).

The light on the drive stays green the entire time, it does not turn off.

Am I maybe doing something wrong? For example, do I need to use some button combination to save to flash memory before I can use the disk/save feature from the MPC? Do I need to actually have a USB drive inserted and formatted before I can save? If I do, is there something I might be forgetting since I'm still getting the FF80 error?

If anyones experiencing a similar problem or has some advise, it'd be much appreciated!

Having this exact issue with a 720 DL.....The green light is always on.

1. Using 3.10
2. Did not change jumpers (verified they are correct in manual)
3. says loading files
4. Green light stays on
5. Didn't format flash drive
6. Tried with ribbon in both positions

has anyone had this issue? If so whats the deal
By Clint Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:47 pm
I tested one of these at home and can confirm that it can be as confusing as hell to get these emulators operating correctly. If the buttons had been labelled by the manufacturer, that would have helped.

In addition there is a lot of conflicting information in this thread. I don't know if there are any videos on using this emulator correctly to save and load from an mpc60, but that would really help a lot of folk.

Sometimes I can remember the correct button push sequence, and other times I totally forget lol. But the emulator does work as expected, I would just have to get used to it. I only got it to test, the floppy drive stays in my machines.

Mine is not the DL version, and I did not need to format the USB drive or change any jumpers.
By enchilada Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:40 pm
C-Quence wrote:
ilyag55 wrote:Hey guys,

Just got my Gotek emulator in the mail today and am having some issues with error ff80.

I bought the Gotek from this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261184845579?ss ... 1497.l2649

Model: SFRM72-FU 72KB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Embroidery Machine Dedicated

- I have an MPC60 mk1 with 3.10 OS.
- I left the 2 jumpers at the default position (if you're looking from left to right, theres a jumper on the 3rd row and another one on the 6th row).

When I turn on the MPC, I get a "Searching floppy for startup files" followed by "Loading files..." display for about 15 secs.

When I try to write anything to the drive via the MPC, it gives me error FF80 "There is no floppy in the disk drive. Please insert a disk." (this happens regardless of whether I have a stick in the drive).

The light on the drive stays green the entire time, it does not turn off.

Am I maybe doing something wrong? For example, do I need to use some button combination to save to flash memory before I can use the disk/save feature from the MPC? Do I need to actually have a USB drive inserted and formatted before I can save? If I do, is there something I might be forgetting since I'm still getting the FF80 error?

If anyones experiencing a similar problem or has some advise, it'd be much appreciated!

Having this exact issue with a 720 DL.....The green light is always on.

1. Using 3.10
2. Did not change jumpers (verified they are correct in manual)
3. says loading files
4. Green light stays on
5. Didn't format flash drive
6. Tried with ribbon in both positions

has anyone had this issue? If so whats the deal

Sounds like the floppy cable could be around the wrong way to me. Check the pinout on your Gotek and on the motherboard. Follow the cable and make sure pin 1 is connected to pin 1. With my old 60Mk1 the Gotek connection is the other way around compared to the stock floppy.