Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By milando Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm
Dear friends, 60/3000/S-900/950 users,

I am confirming that USB floppy emulator manufactured by
Shenzhen Bright Century Industrial Co. Ltd. is 100%
compatible & working with Akai MPC-60 without use of SCSI adapter!

Model that I have purchased is: floppy to usb converter SFR1M72-GU FU.
This drive is available in white/black color.

Easy instalation, and jumer setings - no sweat.

The USB stick was previous formated on computer (1gb), my 60 reads it, (load & save) data to folders "001" "002" "003".
Maximum 100 or 99 floppy discs/per flash stick.

http://sz-huiteng.en.alibaba.com/
By Clint Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 am
Very interesting...

Certainly less fuss than the HxC emulator.

Do you have any pics showing the installation etc?

Minimum order quantity shows as ten units, how/ where did you get yours?

How much did it cost?
By Clint Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm
So did you buy ten units or one?

How long did it take to arrive from China?

What currency did you pay in?

I'm sure you can appreciate the questions.

I will upload the photos for all to see...
By tapedeck Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:14 pm
id have to know more details on the way it images floppies. i know on the hxc they are actual files that you can move around and fill up any size card with.

i get the impression that these usb ones are actually partitioned into many smaller disk-sized sections, and the site says there is a maximum of 100 'disks'.

also, is there a utility to convert your old disks into images to use with the device?

glad to know it works though, just curious on more details.
By Clint Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 pm
These are the photos of the floppy to usb converter (SFR1M72-GU FU) installation in an MPC60 provided by Milando.

By milando Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:51 pm
Company policy is min. order 10 units. :(
After very pleasant correspondence, I have ordered 1 "sample" :idea: since this company didn't worked with Serbia in past.
Drive was sent on Friday, I received it on Monday.
Payment method was wire transfer 151$ (DDU Belgrade, Serbia).
With drive came CD with applications for PC in English, Chinese (didn't try those) and small PDF manual with instructions for jumper settings (primary use for this drive is to replace floppy drive in big industrial machines).

I belief that drive have buffer memory, divided to 99 partitions (720kb or 1.44 mb - depending on jumper settings);
When flash stick is inserted, the drive creates folders & loads, saves all the data in them (same speed as floppy).
Root dir is "folder 00" didn't have time to try and load/save files in this area yet.
Those folders in computer are 100% readable "Dir - 001, 002, 003..."

Now I can easy process sounds in audio editors, convert via awave studio to snd format and use in 60 - awesome!
By tapedeck Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm
milando wrote:Now I can easy process sounds in audio editors, convert via awave studio to snd format and use in 60 - awesome!

if it lets you access the contents of the disk like that then that is pretty cool.
$150 is a little more than an hxc but sounds like a legit contender. i cant believe you can access the content of the 'disks' like that, but if it has a buffer memory like you say i guess it does some conversion for you inside the device. i guess it's lucky that mpc60 uses a more standard format.
By mr_debauch Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 pm
awesome, maybe the max is 99 cause there are only 2 digits in the display :lol:

none the less this is good news.. 40 bucks including shipping on ebay is something that looks good to me.
By fooddude Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 pm
Would this work with an S950 as well? (my only floppy instruments is an MPC60 and S950)

Wondering if it works with SP-1200 as well? (as I plan to someday buy one of these too, when I am rich, lol)

Also, what kind of flash-drives would be best for this? Assuming it only goes to 99, it would be pointless to buy more expensive and huge memory stick, no? So maybe smaller mem sticks?

99 * 720kb = 71.28mb
99 * 1.44mb = 142.56mb

..in other words, would buying sticks bigger than 143mb be pointless and better to buy smaller memory sticks to save money?
Last edited by fooddude on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gertie Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm
i dont know if it would work with the sp1200 since that requires the os on a disk to boot....it seems the first partition on the usb stick is used to store the emulation software