Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By the dreamer himself Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am
Great work on the plunge and the info WAR!

I ended up being too desperate for storage so i went with the 99 version. I bought it on ebay from user sitedv88. I'm in Australia and the estimated shipping date was 3-5 weeks. Hence the purchase asap. but it arrived today! Just 5 days after purchase!
By soundtech Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 am
the dreamer himself wrote:Great work on the plunge and the info WAR!

I ended up being too desperate for storage so i went with the 99 version. I bought it on ebay from user sitedv88. I'm in Australia and the estimated shipping date was 3-5 weeks. Hence the purchase asap. but it arrived today! Just 5 days after purchase!

Did you get the same model? Plug and play?

This thing sounds alright, i'm getting this myself

The only beef is it saves 720k's only, not a big deal really and not sure if the cf reader will be worth it for saving to larger partitions.

I have the marion board and on the fence about buying this or cf reader (way more expensive)

This emulator is def worth trying tho
By Clint Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am
war424[CUBA] wrote:Clint it took about a week and a half. I'm in NYC.

That's a good turnaround to the US, thanks.
By Clint Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm
Useful info taken from the other thread which was locked.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165498

ZX81 wrote:I thought we'd gather some information on the Gotek Floppy Emulator model SFRM72-FU in this thread. I got mine from eBay via this auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281080225618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Contrary to popular belief, the included software works on Windows 7 and 8. Since it's supplied on a mini CD which probably won't work in a slot load CD-ROM, I've uploaded the contents of the disk here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!eUIxwQDR!GaOBegoeMD2ESDWlwQpf82FAG0MRIj9DhVLyscP_tcA

Installation

To install the drive in your MPC60, first remove the four screws under the chassis under the disk drive. Then proceed with opening the MPC60.

MPC60 MKI:

MPC60 MKII:

Unplug the four pin power connector and the ribbon conector from the original floppy drive. Then unscrew the two metal holders attached to the original floppy drive, and attach them to the floppy emulator. I used the screws from the metal holders for this, but there are three screws included with the floppy emulator which might be better for this since they have a sharper edge. Now screw the floppy emulator back on the MPC and connect the power- and ribbon connector. There is no need to change any jumper settings for the MPC60, it just works.

Formatting USB-drive

On the CD, navigate to "CD/english/SOFTWARE for XXX-U100" version and extract "usb-floppy-format-tool_v123_sfd" and start the application "V123_SFD.exe".

Just select 720 kB as Floppy Type, and click "Begin Formatting...".

Usage

The documentation on the CD can be somewhat confusing, but I found this to be the most comprehensible since it describes the practical usage step by step, even though it's for an embroidery machine: "CD/english/embroidery machine/SFR1M44-GU FU SFRM72-GU FU for TAJIMA HAPPY BARUDAN SWF.pdf".

I'm just getting the hang of how it works, but I'll try to summarize.

The floppy supports 99 directories and a root directory. Each directory is numbered from 00 to 99 and represent the contents of a 720 kB disk. The files are saved directly in the file system of the USB drive, i.e. no virtual disk images or the like that you need special software for reading/writing.

The floppy emulator has two buttons on the front. These buttons have different functions depending on if a USB drive is inserted or not.

If no USB drive is inserted in the floppy emulator, the buttons are used to select the directory. The left button increases the directory/disk number by 10, and the right by 1.

When a USB drive is inserted the buttons change function to "out" and "in". The floppy emulator has a built in flash memory buffer and these buttons are now for exporting the contents of this memory to and from the USB drive.

To write to the USB drive, press the left button. The display on the floppy emulator should now read "d1". Save your files on the MPC. Now press the left button again. This exports the files from the internal memory of the floppy emulator to the USB drive. Now press the right button, which puts the contents of the selected folder on the USB drive into the floppy emulators internal memory. Done!

Now you can remove the USB memory, plug it into your computer to backup the files or edit the files with Awave Studio for example.

SDC wrote:Any idea how to clean the internal memory of the floppy emulator?

milando wrote:Make your 00 (root floppy image) empty.
@ the end of each session, just reset the MPC with your usb stick pluged in.
That should do it.

SDC wrote:What about changing the folder names?

milando wrote:You can rename folders 001 to 002...
you can also add long txt after numbers, viewable by computer only...Usually I add names of my drum kits to the folder name, that way I can track my samples easily on computer when I am adding some new samples or just remixing some sounds.

Also...

SDC wrote:THERE'S NO NEED OF FORMATING THE USB DISK WITH THE PROGRAM COMING WITH THE CD...Just plug the USB disk, done...when the USB disk is formated with the CD program, the max capacity is [only] 720k.

Clint wrote:It's an EMULATOR. Do you know what that means?

Don't expect to see any difference in load/save times over a floppy disc. The selling point here is reliable USB solid state storage, the ability to hold the contents of up to 99 or 999 floppy discs, data retained on power down, and finally easier backing up of the USB drive...If you want faster save/load speeds you need to use SCSI on the MPC.

In case anyone missed it...

war424[CUBA] wrote::-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D THE SFRM72-FU-DL WORKS PERFECTLY IN THE MPC 60 MK1!!!! 999 DISKS NO JUMPERS TO SET OR FORMATING OF USB JUMP DRIVE JUST CREATE FOLDERS AND RIP IT!!!!!! EUREKA LOL

So we now have two 720kb models confirmed to be working in the MPC60.

1. SFRM72-FU (Emulates up to 99 floppy disks on a USB drive)
2. SFRM72-FU-DL (Emulates up to 999 floppy disks on a USB drive)
By djobserv Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:10 am
Ok.

So I just got the drive in today.

I looked through the instructions, but I can't seem to get this thing working.

I ordered the DL version.

I have a mk 1 60, 3.10, took the jumpers off the drive, formatted the drive on an XP machine using the included software.

I've tried following the instructions provided by ZX81 in the other thread.

I keep getting the error message "There is no floppy disk in the drive".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Additionally, the drive does create the folders when I change the folder numbers, but i can't save anything.

By djobserv Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:18 pm
Milando,

Do you know which jumper settings i should be using? It's so confusing because one of the previous users said there are no jumper settings.

Thanks for your help
By milando Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:47 pm
I don't have experience with that model, that you are using.
Read mine post about saving procedure carefully.
Make sure your drive cables are not lose!
Try all jumper combinations until it works.
If that don't help, contact customer service at gotek.
My jumpers are set to factory default.

I have found your manual online, jumper settings are there.

http://iw.suntekstore.com/images_cache/ ... 019784.pdf
By djobserv Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 pm
I saved your instructions to my email.

When i get home i'll give it a try. Only reason i asked about the jumpers was because i couldnt get the function buttons working without removing the jumpers, but in your instructions you posted about the jumper settings.

Thanks for your help. I'll follow up if I can get this thing working.
By djobserv Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Ok Tried again yesterday and no luck.

I can't get it to display D1 when pressing the left button

If anyone with the DL version can provide instructions and settings please let me know.
By war424[CUBA] Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 pm
Hi all, with respect to my comment on no jumper settings I should clarify my statement. Out of the box the emulator drive works! Why you took off the jumpers is not my place to question. I will take a look at the 60 today and check jumpers. The USB stick does not have to be reformatted with the software provided. Create the folders on the USB stick on your computer. Yes create 999 folders (hint copy paste rename). If I can help further let me know. WAR424